PDA

View Full Version : Buying former rental equipment: Would you?

tlc1994
09-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Well there is a great equipment rental place called RSC Equipment that rented everything from chainsaws to stump grinders to flatbed trucks. It was a great business but driving by today I saw a sign advertising all the equipment being sold off. My first thought was all the stuff would be high miles and abused. But then again, all the equipment was very-high grade (the minimum chainsaw they rent is the Stihl 390 Farm Boss). Well I`d only consider it if the price is reasonable, but I`d like to hear some opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device

calvinslawnservices
09-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I probably would shy away from it or at the least carefully inspect everything. If everything was taken care of in the first place than you will be ok.

siclmn
09-03-2011, 11:24 PM
You know what employees do to your equipment. Well what do you think the general public does? Ever rented a rental car? Did you baby it?

topsites
09-04-2011, 12:49 AM
Even going out of business they are not trying to sell that stuff at a loss,
it has been my experience the discounts are lousy at first while the best items go,
then as time goes on the discount gets better and more and more of the items go,
the problem is that by the time the discount is finally about where I want it to be,
all the good stuff is gone.

And I mean all of it, you might get a spool of trimmer string that nobody else wanted.

Every time, it's like fighting a dang mall crowd over one piece of cake,
you'll be lucky if you get a crumb and it's still a load of work.

GreenI.A.
09-04-2011, 01:28 AM
I wouldn't if it is a piece of equipment you will be using often. But if it is something that you use every one and a while and it was a place that took good care of the equipment and you can get a great deal then I might go for it.

mnglocker
09-04-2011, 01:34 AM
I've had good luck with some of my equipment from rentals centers, however I know the guys at the local shop and they're anal about maintenance on the equipment.

ProMo
09-04-2011, 08:56 AM
My father in law retired a year ago from rsc. He got me some good deals when they sold equipment.

Lordtimothy
09-04-2011, 08:56 AM
I would for sure agree about buying something you will use once and a while. The images that flash through my head, happen to be what I did with the Skidsteers I rented. No chance I would EVER do that to my own machine.

Jimslawncareservice
09-04-2011, 09:52 AM
All depends on what it is,what it looks like, and look around to see of there oil in their shop. That way you know oils have been changed in done machines. My rental place has all junk. They will sell it but for new price. Most of their stiff is 20 years old. I know one place sells their stuff yearly. Now that would worry me about engine up keep.

I guess it all comes down to price and risk. Also of you know the place and how the up keep of Thier machines
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
09-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I bought a bunch of stuff from an equipment rental place auction. I bought a compactor for $125. Put probably 50 bucks in it and it runs great. Also got an aerator, a few weed whackers and some other stuff...I cant remember it was about 5 years ago. I still use the stuff today. One thing about rental places is that they seem to maintain the stuff very well. They also dont send the stuff out every single day where as if you bought the stuff from another landscaper they would probably be using it just about every day. That being said I would inspect the stuff carefully and dont pay market value...try to get it at a significant discount and then what do you have to lose?

MCFISH
09-04-2011, 11:30 AM
We have had good luck buying used rental equipment. A Bobcat 334 mini excavator, plate compactor, ground ponder, and pressure washer. It seems rental places buy high end rugged equipment and maintain it well. At lest the places we have bought from do. We even rent some of our equipment to people we know and trust. I love letting the machine make us money with no labor on our part. We have rented equipment to people for more money then if we would have showed up and done the work ourselves. The ones we do rent to we know personally and they bring it back fueled, greased and washed.

TuffWork
09-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I had the same questions a couple weeks ago. I bought a bluebird aerator from the Home Depot rental center. It didn't seem too abused and I won't be using it all the time so it's no big deal. I ended up getting it for $688. I'll let you know if it breaks during Fall aerations, though.

eaglescout1993
06-09-2012, 11:17 PM
I bought a Blue Bird dethatcher from Home Depot last year paid 500 got a ton of extra parts for free. I was in a few days later and they guy behind the desk said here the boss said give this to you and he brought out a copy paper box full of everything except a new motor. They were changing brands over to Classan the unit i bought had been out 15 times in its life and was 2 years old made by Husqvarna. Paid for it in the first day i had it out. the rest is profit. Nothing is wrong and it is very easy on gas. Love it and i am constantly looking for more Home Depot sales. Very happy and wouldnt hesitate to buy from them again in a heart beat

alexschultz1
06-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Stay away from anything with replacement parts that are extremely costly,( skid steers, dingos, Trenchers, chippers,.... Ect) one of my best clients of 11 years is a manager of sunbelt in Atlanta. He has guided me clear away of anything I wanted to buy over $1500 so far I have 3 aerators a dethatcher and a pole saw. All of which are used for a short period during the rental season and they are required to be replaced every 5 years

Duekster
06-17-2012, 06:44 PM
While the equipment is used by many people, it is also likely maintained about as well as any used piece of equipment you can find. The question becomes mostly about price.

BCboy
06-17-2012, 06:47 PM
I bought my aerator (113 hrs) and power rake from Home Depot, both are Blue Bird.
Both were well maintained and serviced so no concerns there.
The rental department also wanted to sell me a bunch of "spare" power rake parts.
It seems they had a rental unit they took apart so in the box was everything except the motor, including the bar and flail blades. I told them I really did not want it but they said give us a offer. So I said $20.00 and they said YES !!! Holy crap I got a great deal.
For both machines and parts I paid $2062.00 inc tax. Not bad. They paid for them selves in the first spring.
I would not hesitate to buy from Home Depot again.

Duekster
06-17-2012, 08:44 PM
I bought my aerator (113 hrs) and power rake from Home Depot, both are Blue Bird.
Both were well maintained and serviced so no concerns there.
The rental department also wanted to sell me a bunch of "spare" power rake parts.
It seems they had a rental unit they took apart so in the box was everything except the motor, including the bar and flail blades. I told them I really did not want it but they said give us a offer. So I said $20.00 and they said YES !!! Holy crap I got a great deal.
For both machines and parts I paid $2062.00 inc tax. Not bad. They paid for them selves in the first spring.
I would not hesitate to buy from Home Depot again.

How did you find out HD was selling?

nnusskern
06-17-2012, 10:16 PM
At my home depot in the rental store they have a clip board with list of equipment for sale or just ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

AskTurfPro
06-24-2012, 02:30 PM
I purchased a Classen Aerator from a rental company and have used it for about 1 year. I was a little reluctant to buy a rental but so far no problems and I'm glad I did. I got a great price.

Duekster
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
I would say yes depending on the equipment and the price. It likely has been maintained to the letter of the mfg recommendations.

Restrorob
06-24-2012, 09:32 PM
It likely has been maintained to the letter of the mfg recommendations.

That's the way my rental department (shop foreman) is ran, If a machine isn't 100% it doesn't get rented or sold. The last thing I want is to cause a contractor or even homeowner down time from faulty equipment.....

Southern Heritage
08-10-2013, 02:02 AM
I've purchased some from rental houses with great results. Now a competitor of mine has bought tons of stuff. Sod cutter. Rescue saws, chainsaws, mortar mixer, concrete mixer, etc. they lover the stuff he picked up a wackier tamp last week for $350.00 I was pissed cuss I need one bad

mow king
08-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Be careful and check out the equipment! The big "green" rental place sells a lot of their equipment with problems. I bought a rollback truck from them - Blown head gasket. Drivers daily logs I found under the seat noted the issues. They denied it and refused to do anything about it. An equipment dealer bought 10 skidsteers from them and ended up sending 8 to the auction because of major issues. Not all rental places are the same, but some sell equipment for a reason!

joe crumpler services
06-12-2014, 10:22 PM
One of my associates bought a Case backhoe from a rental firm in 1997. I ran it myself for a couple of years until I hurt my back. He still uses it, but not every day. He just replaced the pump in the transmission. Everything else has been normal maintenance.

alldayrj
06-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Bought my mini ex from united. Where else are you going to get a printout of every oil change and greasing? Tight machine, wouldnt hesitate to do it again

KrayzKajun
06-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Bought my mini ex from united. Where else are you going to get a printout of every oil change and greasing? Tight machine, wouldnt hesitate to do it again

United is literally the next block over from my house. If I could find a used CTL w/ cab from them I would buy it.
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
06-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Most of what i saw was bare bones, no cabs etc. whats nice about them is they have a master list and can grab stuff from other locations all over the country. I called every major rental house and told thrm what i wanted and united found it for me and set it up