PDA

View Full Version : 27 HP Kohler Runs Rough

DonH
09-04-2011, 02:35 PM
I have a 2005 Dixie Chopper Flatlander with at least 3000hrs. on it, tiny tach went out and I never replaced it so not sure of exact no. of hrs. on it. Started running rough, so we pulled plugs, they looked equally good with no fouling. After running cleaner in the gas with no results we pulled the carb. Took the jets out and float off, blew carb cleaner throughout then soaked it overnite in dip. After all this, we had no change, it still runs rough. We checked compression and have 145# and 160# on the cylinders. What can be the problem here? Engine runs good under power with blades engaged but surges without a load on it, and idle is ragged.:confused:

DonH
09-04-2011, 03:14 PM
This is a CV-740-0008

rwaters
09-04-2011, 03:27 PM
I would still say it is in the likely the carb. I have not used carb dip in a long time found that a good ultrasonic cleaner works much better, but even then I find I can not rebuild all of the carbs I get. I am also assuming you checked or replaced the air filter.

DonH
09-04-2011, 03:52 PM
We did change the air filter...

DonH
09-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Should the 15# difference in the compression in the cylinders be of any concern? Thanks for your input.

DonH
09-25-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm still having problems with this engine. It does mow well but continues to surge and idle very rough. Also I have another issue. I replaced the ignition switch because it failed. Now the engine won't turn off with the switch. Unplugged the white wire and now the kill switch works but battery doesn't charge, it goes dead.

piston slapper
09-25-2011, 08:14 PM
You have a tired engine...compression when new was 180 psi.
A leakdown test may lead you to the surging problem...might be a head gasket.
Pull the choke a little and see if the engine smooths out...might be a bad intake gasket.
You probably got the wrong switch when you replaced it...causing other problems.

DonH
10-09-2011, 08:56 AM
You have a tired engine...compression when new was 180 psi.
A leakdown test may lead you to the surging problem...might be a head gasket.
Pull the choke a little and see if the engine smooths out...might be a bad intake gasket.
You probably got the wrong switch when you replaced it...causing other problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

DonH
10-09-2011, 09:10 AM
I replaced one of the coils on the flywheel and ordered another ignition switch. New switch installed now but the motor will not crank until I disconnect the white kill switch wire. Also the battery will not charge I'm guessing because the white wire is disconnected. The engine still runs rough until the blades are engaged. Any advice please???
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I replaced one of the coils on the flywheel and ordered another ignition switch. New switch installed now but the motor will not crank until I disconnect the white kill switch wire. Also the battery will not charge I'm guessing because the white wire is disconnected. The engine still runs rough until the blades are engaged. Any advice please???
Posted via Mobile DeviceIs you safty switch in your seat works or did you disconnect it

White Gardens
10-09-2011, 09:32 AM
The surging under no load is generally a governor issue. Once under load the spring on the govenor has enough tension to keep it from surging. Your governor spring might be week from the amount of hours you have on the motor.

Internally I've never had a Kohler apart, but I'm guessing it's similar to a generac as it probably has a spool and weights internally that engages the governor. That might be wearing out also as I'm guessing it's a plastic gear and metal weights.

Might want to change the spring placement on the governor. Move it up a hole and try it.

Otherwise I'm with an earlier post. That motor with 3000 hours is probably getting pretty tired and due for a re-build, or re-placement.

DonH
10-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Is you safty switch in your seat works or did you disconnect it
Posted via Mobile Device

DonH
10-11-2011, 09:20 AM
The seat switch is disconnected...it turns out the mercury switch is bad. Unplugged it but the battery won't charge when running.
Posted via Mobile Device

DonH
10-11-2011, 09:22 AM
The surging under no load is generally a governor issue. Once under load the spring on the govenor has enough tension to keep it from surging. Your governor spring might be week from the amount of hours you have on the motor.

Internally I've never had a Kohler apart, but I'm guessing it's similar to a generac as it probably has a spool and weights internally that engages the governor. That might be wearing out also as I'm guessing it's a plastic gear and metal weights.

Might want to change the spring placement on the governor. Move it up a hole and try it.

Otherwise I'm with an earlier post. That motor with 3000 hours is probably getting pretty tired and due for a re-build, or re-placement.

Posted via Mobile Device

DonH
10-16-2011, 01:13 PM
The 3 wire harness on the engine cover reads 12v dc on the middle, 28v on left terminal and 0v on the right side. Both cylinders run and when performing coil test by lifting one plug wire and then the other both drop off. So it seems the coils are working doesn't it??? Is this the reason I have no charging system and if so what may be the fix???
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-16-2011, 10:56 PM
The 3 wire harness on the engine cover reads 12v dc on the middle, 28v on left terminal and 0v on the right side. Both cylinders run and when performing coil test by lifting one plug wire and then the other both drop off. So it seems the coils are working doesn't it??? Is this the reason I have no charging system and if so what may be the fix???
Posted via Mobile DeviceSo you checking the plug at the Regulator

DonH
10-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Checked each spark plug by lifting each cap. Each cylinder drops off when lifted. Checked voltage at the 3 wire connector on the engine cover while running.
Posted via Mobile Device