PDA

View Full Version : JD 717 hydraulic oil ?

shawn32
09-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I have a JD 717 and need to change the hydraulic oil in it. Does anyone know a good oil I can use other than the JD plus 50 0w-40 synthetic blend? Can I use Mobile1 0W-40 ? Any help would be great.

Roger
09-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Can I presume you mean the oil in the hydrostatic drive system? I have a JD 717A, and it has no hydraulic system (e.g. lift).

I use Amsoil 10W-40 in an annual change. You need to get a filter as well. Either get one from your dealer, or order online. It is about $18, as I recall. The oil change will require about 8 qts to refill. Remember to fill the filter full (use repeated fillings to top it off - allow oil to penetrate all vacant volume in the filter), before mounting. The filter alone will take most of 1 qt. If you take these steps with the filter, you will have little, to no risk in having air in the system. Jack up the rear wheels and run F/R to be sure all the air is out before lowering and applying power to the wheels. Check the level when done, and top off as necessary for proper oil level.