PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my leaf box setup

ksland
11-02-2002, 12:02 PM
Finished my leaf box, took a few ideas from everyone and put them all together to fit my needs. I didn't make the sides high because of clearance issues with branches and power wires in yards. I will be painting the outside black once the wood seasons some. Its just too wet to paint right now. The whole box comes apart into 4 sections no thicker than 4" with removal of 12 9/16" carraige bolts. There are also other pictures at this website:
http://community.webshots.com/user/ksland

ksland
11-02-2002, 12:04 PM
In the dump position. Just pull a spring loaded pin, swing sucker out of the way, drop tailgate and dump.

Bob Minney
11-02-2002, 12:10 PM
Very nice set-up

Guido
11-02-2002, 12:44 PM
Excellent set-up.....one of the best I've seen as a matter of fact. I had one very similiar, but I got tired of taking the tailgate down and back up so I modded it out a little bit. For the fall, since I couldn't use the dump for anything else anyway, I took the tailgate right off the truck. Then I extended the back swinging door down and bolted pins to the bottom brace to mimick the pins at the bottom of the tailgate. It took a lot of measuring and testing, but I got the door to close right into the saddles where the tailgate would normally sit.

It was a lot quicker when dumping.

Just an idea for next year! Looks great though, Congrats again on a gorgeous set up!

ksland
11-02-2002, 12:50 PM
My tailgate opens with a lever in the middle just as easy as a pickup. The has an internal mechanism that pulls the pins into the tailgate to allow it to open. Works really good. For that reason it is easy to open quickly.

Guido
11-02-2002, 12:55 PM
Sorry about that! You got it made than my friend. I had the older style with pins in the top and saddles at the bottom....PITA on time!

Good Deal, sorry about the mix-up but its a good idea for the older style gates.

walker-talker
11-02-2002, 01:48 PM
Congrats on a really nice set-up. It's always better to take your time with something like that and do it right.

Tell me a little bit about your dump bed. Looks like one that has been added. Who makes it and how much did it cost? Are you happy with it?

Thanks
MATT

stslawncare
11-02-2002, 02:09 PM
very impressive leaf box and setup in all. mind me asking how much u paid for the leaf box? how long did it take?

ksland
11-02-2002, 02:25 PM
The dump body is a Crysteel and was on the truck at the dealer I bought it from. The body added $6000 to the sticker, cab+chassis was 22,000. Yes the body has been good, just a little small. Will get a rack cabover next time.

The box took a total of 6 hours, 3 hours for 2 days, and about $300 in materials including the mesh tarp.

walker-talker
11-02-2002, 03:25 PM
Tell us about your debri loader. I just came from billygoat's website. I wish I could find a truck similar to yours.

MATT

ksland
11-02-2002, 03:38 PM
16hp Lesco, which is Salsco you will find info on it at salsco.com lesco doesn't list any info on there site. I did the research, not only is the lesco unit the least expensive ($2195) Billygoat ($2695) it has the best specs 4200 cfm's the others were 3400, 3500, and 3600 I believe. All the 16hp suckers I have seen use the Briggs vanguard. The swing mount is $300 and the extension chute is $135. So box, mount, chute and sucker I have about $2935 plus taxes. The GiantVac unit shows lower specs and with a swing mount and long chute was $3149 on the showroom floor.

mdb landscaping
11-02-2002, 03:51 PM
very nice setup. i love that dump truck you got. thats a sweet setup how you can just swing the vac to the side.

mklawnman
11-02-2002, 11:03 PM
WOW nice setup. Im a little less fortunate than you are to have a dump truck yet, but will be looking to buy a F350 or F450 within the next two years. Right now been using a 6x12 open trailer with draging tarps up the trailer and just dumping it on the trailer which has 2ft plywood sides then just throwing the tarp over the leaves and putting some planks to keep the tarp down, then the hard part is emptying the trailer, its a pain.
Ill keep your setup in mind when it comes time for me to build something for leaf clean up, cause man alive its a arm and a leg to push the tarp up and empty the trailer of leaves all day.
Matt

walker-talker
11-03-2002, 02:30 AM
What if you got a real heavy canvas tarp, could you use your Z to pull it off?

MATT

HOMER
11-03-2002, 06:42 AM
How bout for the open trailers a winch mounted at the rear of the trailer--------run the cable to a ram at the front of the trailer which has a track that it runs in----------hit the winch----------ram comes from the frt to the rear and pushes all the debris off.

I'm still thinking about the track system and how to keep the ram from binding up. I still got to get the ram back to the frt when I'm done too..................help me out all you engineers.

Very nice rig........don't see then down south..........we ain't got any leaves down here anyway!:cry:

dr grass
11-03-2002, 09:17 AM
very nice rig ksland. im looking for a dumper in the spring, and that one looks right up my alley. price isnt too shabby either. i would opt for the duramax diesel though. i love them diesels!!!

shep :blob1:

ksland
11-03-2002, 09:46 AM
Yes, the duramax/allison combination is nice but adds close to $9k to the sticker. Sorry its not THAT nice.

dlandscaping
11-03-2002, 09:32 PM
Is that truck 4*4? Id like to hear some other details about a dump for that price. My buddy just took home a chevy 3500hd duramx allison for close to $45k after adding a fisher plow and tool box underneath on one side.

mdb landscaping
11-04-2002, 07:23 AM
the duramax/allison combo is more like 4-5k, not $9000, unless prices have drastically changed since i got my 2002 2500HD duramax

ksland
11-04-2002, 09:02 AM
It was $8000 and change in 2001 when I bought my truck. Believe me I looked over the figures well.

Kent Lawns
11-04-2002, 09:15 AM
The upcharge seems more when comparing the base (5.3L?) V-8 w/ manual Trans.

The price comparision is more accurate when the 6.0/Auto vs. the 6.6/Alli and then the upcharge seems (is) less.

hoagie
11-05-2002, 11:50 PM
Ksland... NICE.

I have a very similar setup that I just got together today. You say 9/16 bolts? Holy cow... and I thought I was going overboard w/ 1/2 carrages! Mine also comes apart in 4 parts (rather heavy parts though).

I'll get some pics up in a day or so after the rain lets up... and I give the truck a wash ;)

ksland
11-06-2002, 09:09 AM
I was refering to 9/6" as the wrench size, They are 3/8" bolts. I suppose that would be overkill :eek:

Bill Davis
11-06-2002, 09:30 AM
Ksland, do you use to big truck to pull around the two walk-behinds or do you have something else dedicated to that?? The leave system you got there looks great. I would love to have something similar someday. I guess i better start saving my pennies.

ksland
11-06-2002, 10:37 AM
I sold the 2 48" walkbehinds you see in the webshots pics as well as the 16' trailer. I downsized mid year and bought a walker and a 12' trailer and I am now working solo. Next spring is another story. The truck pulls the tralier also. The swing mount has a reese hitch behind it allowing you to pull a trailer also.

Bill Davis
11-06-2002, 11:17 AM
are you planning on dumping the clippings from the walker in to the back of the dump bed on your truck. that would be a nice easy was to get rid of clippings. I am guessing that your truck has the 8.1 liter gas motor. Does that thing suck down gas when your working? and how many yards do you anticipate being able to squeeze into that box. Just wondering because I am looking to do the same thing but a little smaller to fit into my trailer.

ksland
11-06-2002, 11:23 AM
The truck has a 6.0L gas engine. Plenty of power but the motor has early morning "ticking" issues that gm refuses there is a problem yet. The motor gets about 10mpg in the truck, doesnt seem to matter pulling trailer or not. It will hold about 9 yards of leaves. The box dimensions are 6.5'x8'x5'. But a lot of the leaves are first run through the walker for reduction, then the sucker. I have already put about 30 small hopper walker dumps into the box and its not even 1/8 full. It definately reduces well. I have the mesh top that removes easily, just unhook so I can throw branches in the top while doing cleanups. And also for jumping on the pile when its full to squeeze out some more space if needed.

Bill Davis
11-06-2002, 11:29 AM
that is plenty of power considering that you have reduced the amount of equipment that you are pulling around. The ticking sound if probably your lifters. Try a little highet octane and see if it disappears. You need to put a new chip in your truck and I promise you will see a 3-4 mile to the gallon increase and more torque and horsepower. The chip that I installed in my Chevy gave me gobs more power and i get 13 miles to the gallon pulling two walkbehinds and a Lazer.

ksland
11-06-2002, 12:53 PM
Bill, thanks for the advice but the engine noise has been proven that its piston slap. They just haven't submitted a recall yet to fix the problem. I don't really need anymore power that what I have.

John DiMartino
11-06-2002, 08:35 PM
Nice setup K,i like your swing away.The 16hp Vanguard is a great engine,the best in class,thats why they alll use them.Your right on the Duramax/Allsion options. I looked at a 3500 Dump,the duramax was 5300 over the 300hp 6.0-the allsion was 2300 over the 5 speed manual.Thats a lot of dough.The 6.0 is a strong motor for a base engine.

Bill Davis
11-07-2002, 03:10 PM
the addition of the new chip not only will give you more power but more MPG wich is something that we all want more of. 10 mpg per a gallon sounds expensive to me and any increase will help out your profit margin. Good luck this leaf season.

dr grass
11-07-2002, 03:25 PM
ksland - have you ever thought that you may make up for the difference in sticker price, through the reduction you will see in your fuel bill? I used an 84' 6.2 litre chevy 3/4 ton diesel this season, and saved a boat load compared to my 96' 5.7 litre gmc 1/2 ton gasoline Vortec 350 last year. I would definately opt for the Duramax. Ive heard nothing but good things about them so far (knock on wood) lol. just some food for thought!!

shep :confused:

ksland
11-07-2002, 04:14 PM
To be hosent, I dont like diesels. I don't like the loud sound while at a drive thru, I don't like the smell, and I don't like the fact that every gas station does not sell diesel fuel.:realmad:

hoagie
11-07-2002, 05:45 PM
Diesel savings are not as much as you would think...

The maintenance is quite a bit more expensive, my PSD holds almost 4 GALLONS of oil... that's 16 QUARTS per oil change! Changed every 2500 miles. And a fuel filter is 30 something dollers (although there are cheaper places if you know where to look), and then there's SCA (supplemental coolant additive) that needs to be tested for and added every so often... I don't even remember what a bottle of that stuff goes for...

All in all, I am VERY happy w/ my diesel.... it carries an unbelievable load- 10yds mulch w/ a loaded 16' enclosed trailer is just playing around. BUT... I absolutely love my 5.4 gas pickup for anything else.

True, after 10 or so years the diesel will pay for itself in increased longevity... but, the savings aren't so apparent during the first 5. And by the way, I do get better mileage w/ the pickup.

GLS
11-07-2002, 06:52 PM
To be hosent, I dont like diesels. I don't like the loud sound while at a drive thru, I don't like the smell, and I don't like the fact that every gas station does not sell diesel fuel.
That statement is true for some diesel engines, however, the duramax, and the new powerstoke and cummins are extremely quieter. If you pull up next to one at a stoplight with your window down, you might not even know it's a diesel.

By the way...I like your setup. I can't believe your truck wasn't more than that!

ksland
11-07-2002, 06:58 PM
Thanks! I drove a cummins and a duramax before making my purchase. To some degree yes they are quieter than older model diesels but still too loud for me. I didn't get a/c or 4wd, no power options just basic work truck. That is why it was cheap.

kemmer
11-27-2005, 06:43 PM
hey ksland, can i see a closer shot of how you can pull the trailer and the leaf vac also. is it an extended hitch, or does the vac have a hitch on it too?

grapeford
11-27-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm from the Plymouth area, that's very cool.