PDA

View Full Version : Big fires and high winds

txirrigation
09-04-2011, 09:56 PM
The winds have picked up here in TX and there have been a rash of wild fires throughout the day and some big ones still going. Send some prayers up for all the guys fighting them. The extreme heat, drought, and wind are a deadly combo.

I dont know him personally but I know there are some fires down where txgrassguy volunteers, so be sure to include him in the messages sent upward. The biggest one is in txgrassguy's area and they have evacuated a decent size town, and people are trying to get livestock out of the way by cutting fences.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Will do
Posted via Mobile Device

txirrigation
09-04-2011, 10:17 PM
The fire in Bastrop, where I am pretty sure txgrassguy volunteers has burned 300 homes, and 1400 acres. Resources are spread so thin they dont think it will be put out for days.

The fire is so bad it is showing up as rain on weather radars. Winds are supposed to be constant at 25mph tomorrow.

Sprinkus
09-04-2011, 10:38 PM
The fire is so bad it is showing up as rain on weather radars. Winds are supposed to be constant at 25mph tomorrow.

I saw that smoke plume on the radar images tonight.
Crispy dry, windy, and fire are not a good combination. There are still wickdeeds that are flicking cigarette butts out of their windows out here causing grass fires along the highways.
I heard that there may be some small storms in West Texas where the lightning may cause even more wild fires.
Never thought I'd pray for a hurricane to come but a lot of people are out here.

TexasFire221
09-05-2011, 07:49 AM
The fire in Bastrop, where I am pretty sure txgrassguy volunteers has burned 300 homes, and 1400 acres. Resources are spread so thin they dont think it will be put out for days.

Hey you need to add an 0 to that. 14,000 acres and 400 homes as of this morning.

txirrigation
09-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah I heard the new numbers this morning. The winds are still high and I have not heard any new numbers for 6-7 hours. I figure the fire has spread to 2000+ and 450-500 homes.

I have a friend that is a manager at a store in Bastrop and he said the attempts at putting out this fire "is like trying to piss on a forest fire." Pray for rain, I just hope the hippies will let them start some back fires to put it out. The only way to get this one out will be to set some back fires at key roads.

TexasFire221
09-05-2011, 05:59 PM
New reports are 33,000 acres and 400+ homes
Posted via Mobile Device

txirrigation
09-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I did not want to over shoot the numbers, but that closer to what I was thinking.

TexasFire221
09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
With very little containment they say. 1,000 more homes are in the path. Bad stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
09-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah I heard the new numbers this morning. The winds are still high . The only way to get this one out will be to set some back fires at key roads.

Just heard a NPR report that the winds are strong enough to cause the fires to jump a four-lane highway. :cry:

bcg
09-05-2011, 07:17 PM
They've already jumped the Colorado river in at least 2 locations.

Sprinkus
09-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Talk about ironic, the local water purveyor started a brush fire with one of their trucks!
Only 210 acres but I bet they feel pretty stupid.
Brush Fire (http://www.ksat.com/news/29085273/detail.html)

Mike Leary
09-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Talk about ironic, the local water purveyor started a brush fire with one of their trucks!
Only 210 acres but I bet they feel pretty stupid.

Were they backflow protected? :rolleyes:

TexasFire221
09-05-2011, 10:09 PM
I posted some picture of the fire in another thread

greenmonster304
09-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Just heard a NPR report

You must be one of those left wing hippies the other guy was talking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

txgrassguy
09-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Just a quick up-date - my department has been on scene west of Austin for three days now. Yesterday we had more staff due to the holiday but today we are down to a skeleton crew.
Yes the winds were high enough to jump state Hwy 71, a four lane highway. The wind caused that but today looks to be a bunch better since the wind has abated to some degree.
I am going back to the department in just a few minutes since we are on short stand-by for mutual aide once again.
The terrain I am operating in makes pulling hose a necessity since the fire moved into the surround canyon/basin areas.
I think today we will be able to seriously stomp on this bastard enough to allow people back into their homes later today.
Just one request - any info I provide is NOT to be released for public use since I am not an officer of my department, just a hose monkey.

Kiril
09-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Just one request - any info I provide is NOT to be released for public use since I am not an officer of my department, just a hose monkey.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wet_Boots
09-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Hail and good fortune, Hose Monkey!

txirrigation
09-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Offical Statement:

"I think today we will be able to seriously stomp on this bastard enough to allow people back into their homes later today."

From txgrassguy.

haha

Good luck man, be safe!

Mike Leary
09-06-2011, 10:34 AM
You must be one of those left wing hippies the other guy was talking about.

Guilty as charged. I sure feel for those folks in Texas. :cry:

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Are any states sending help? I know montana sent a bunch to az when they had their fires.
I'm in spokane, wa. Looks dry here right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-06-2011, 02:28 PM
I need to give my Texas friends a laugh.
I just got a jalepeno burger with fries and the waitress asked me if i needed ranch dressing or tartar sauce for my fries.
Posted via Mobile Device

txirrigation
09-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Tartar suace?? Dude, sick.

newz7151
09-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I need to give my Texas friends a laugh.
I just got a jalepeno burger with fries and the waitress asked me if i needed ranch dressing or tartar sauce for my fries.
Posted via Mobile Device

say it with me slowly and sound it out .... K e t c h u p .

DanaMac
09-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Are any states sending help? I know montana sent a bunch to az when they had their fires.
I'm in spokane, wa. Looks dry here right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

I didn't think Texans ever wanted help from outside their state? :)

Wet_Boots
09-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Tartar suace?? Dude, sick.It actually works pretty well on fries when they accompany fried seafood you also put tartar sauce on (and are drinking sharp-as-a-tack French white wine with it)

bcg
09-06-2011, 04:28 PM
We help others, only fair to hope they'd do the same for us. We've lost over 40,000 acres in the last 3 days. The fire that started in Magnolia/Plantersville yesterday is about 20 miles N NW of my house right now and I can see and smell the smoke outside. I hope and pray that the wind stays down and doesn't turn on us, it wouldn't take long for it to cover that distance and be in the suburbs of Houston. My neighborhood is on the Western edge and has 5,000 homes in it. Within 5 miles of me heading East, there are another 65,000 homes and this fire is currently without air support because all of that is being used on the larger Bastrop fire. I think they're making progress on it but hot spots are reigniting and the still aren't letting a lot of the evacuated back into their homes.

Not to be political but still no response from the feds on our previous request for a state of emergency declaration when we had fires all over the state in May and no state of emergency declaration yet, that I know of, for this one. We've lost 3.6m acres to fires since Nov and have a state that is the driest it has been in almost 100 years, you've got to wonder at what point it's a big enough threat that the feds are willing to give us a hand...

Wet_Boots
09-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Declarations don't put out fires. Water does.

I'll happily send over the foot or so of rain Lee and Irene are providing.

Mike Leary
09-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm in spokane, wa. Looks dry here right now

You coming over the hill this way, Peter?

bcg
09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Declarations don't put out fires. Water does.

I'll happily send over the foot or so of rain Lee and Irene are providing.

No, they don't but they do activate resources that aren't available until they're made. We need more resources.

We're only about 20" or so behind right now so that foot or so would be a nice start.

Mike Leary
09-06-2011, 05:08 PM
I heard this morning they are bringing in a Boeing 767 or 747 that was modified for fire fighting.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-06-2011, 05:19 PM
You coming over the hill this way, Peter?

Im heading south from here. Need to get to ARGOS before he boogies town. I gave serious thought to going to bainbridge island to see the sage fly rod factory but not enough time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
09-06-2011, 06:04 PM
I gave serious thought to going to bainbridge island to see the sage fly rod factory but not enough time.

Sage make great rods, plus ,you could have seen some megas and drank some local wine & beer. :drinkup:

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-06-2011, 07:49 PM
How far are you from Mike Mike?

Got a forest service site on TX fires from my Homesick Texan cooking link
http://tfsweb.tamu.edu/main/article.aspx?id=12888
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
09-06-2011, 08:50 PM
How far are you from Mike Mike?

Umm, as Jim would say, "You talkin' to me, Boss ?".

Kiril
09-07-2011, 01:46 AM
We help others, only fair to hope they'd do the same for us.

Would that be anything like how you helped CA out of it's energy crisis? :rolleyes:

txgrassguy
09-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Well, I am back at work today but once again on stand-by.
After the fifteen hours in a brush truck yesterday I am a bit beat-up.
The entire day from 8 am until 1 am went like this: get to the station, check the trucks then start dumping water. Pull in to the tanker area and grab a sandwich while the truck is being refilled. Repeat from 10am until one am. Right now I am so backed up from that industrial lubricant that passes for the cheese on those soggy white bread sandwich's I'm kind of afraid to think hard.
Kind of reminds me of my ex in a way, a bunch of hot air and smelly but maybe that's just me.
Pretty sure the majority of the residences evacuated will be opened some time later today since we have beat this bastard down to just isolated hot spots now.

DanaMac
09-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Our thoughts are with you all down there. Sounds like tough fires with all the winds. Stay safe. My hats off to ya.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Would that be anything like how you helped CA out of it's energy crisis? :rolleyes:

Quit wasting money on condor killing wind turbines and drill that oil sitting off your coast.
You've now gotten your enegy crisis help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
09-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Quit wasting money on condor killing wind turbines and drill that oil sitting off your coast.
You've now gotten your enegy crisis help.

What condor killing turbines? Perhaps you can enlighten me?

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Your search feature broken?
http://www.wonews.com/t-FeatureReport_jim_wiegand_100709.aspx
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

txgrassguy
09-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Okay, the fire in my a.o. is out - finally.
Last details I was aware, the fire ravaged 3,600 acres; destroyed 24 residences but we saved over twice that; and the outpouring of support amongst the entire community has been simply amazing.
Time spent either at the fire hall or on scene was around 48 hours in two and a half days for me. Several personnel were working the entire fire.
Sunday, when the fire started, I was returning from outside of NW Houston from the Texas State IDPA match and got to the fire hall at midnight Sunday.

Wet_Boots
09-08-2011, 09:22 AM
How is it going with brush maintenance? Has it been a big issue? I've seen how it affects the California fire seasons.

txgrassguy
09-08-2011, 10:36 AM
What brush maintenance?
This is the single biggest reason why the fire ravaged as much and as quickly as it has to date.
I simply cannot get land owners to understand the necessity to properly manage their grounds.
Waist high grasses, untrimmed trees, drainage ditches and fence lines over grown, etc . . . they want the "natural" look which really means they are too cheap to spent either the time nor effort to care for their property correctly.
Then they "wonder" why the fire destroyed their property and in some cases their homes.
The ranches that had cleared fire breaks, thinned stands of trees, lower height pasture grasses fared much better than the ones that were unkempt and overgrown.
So far my response to this fire has cost me well over two thousand dollars in lost gross revenue due to the rampant and inexcusable stupidity of some land owners.

Wet_Boots
09-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I was kind of guessing that was an issue. Californians, mostly, have gotten with the program, and I have seen plenty of signs reminding them to keep up with brush maintenance.

Mark Oomkes
09-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Stay safe tx, good to hear you guys got a handle on it.

txirrigation
09-08-2011, 09:03 PM
What brush maintenance?
This is the single biggest reason why the fire ravaged as much and as quickly as it has to date.
I simply cannot get land owners to understand the necessity to properly manage their grounds.
Waist high grasses, untrimmed trees, drainage ditches and fence lines over grown, etc . . . they want the "natural" look which really means they are too cheap to spent either the time nor effort to care for their property correctly.
Then they "wonder" why the fire destroyed their property and in some cases their homes.
The ranches that had cleared fire breaks, thinned stands of trees, lower height pasture grasses fared much better than the ones that were unkempt and overgrown.
So far my response to this fire has cost me well over two thousand dollars in lost gross revenue due to the rampant and inexcusable stupidity of some land owners.

That is true. The state used to pay for a road maintanence program on private land around perimeter fences just for this reason. They were roads, but more importantly they were fire breaks. A lot of people used to burn every 5 years also, but the hippies started regulating that so heavy that most stopped doing that.

Mike Leary
09-08-2011, 09:29 PM
A lot of people used to burn every 5 years also, but the hippies started regulating that so heavy that most stopped doing that.

Now, now, I'm a big believer in controlled burns, so don't lump me in that group. :nono:

txirrigation
09-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Now, now, I'm a big believer in controlled burns, so don't lump me in that group. :nono:

Trust me, your not by any means what I consider a hippy. Swing by Austin and hang out on the "Drag" for an hour or two and you'll understand.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-08-2011, 11:14 PM
No hippy like a left wing pain in the azz austin hippy
Posted via Mobile Device

txirrigation
09-08-2011, 11:31 PM
No hippy like a left wing pain in the azz austin hippy
Posted via Mobile Device

That's the kind of hippy I am talking about. Not the "I travel around in a tin can" hippy.

By the way there is a RV store close to me that sells New streamline looking RV's

Mike Leary
09-09-2011, 07:22 PM
That's the kind of hippy I am talking about. Not the "I travel around in a tin can" hippy.

By the way there is a RV store close to me that sells New streamline looking RV's

Whew! I thought I might have to get my pony tail cut to stay on the forum. :waving:

Mike Leary
09-09-2011, 07:49 PM

Like this, only trailers?