PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with leftover pipe?

PR0 TURF
11-02-2002, 03:22 PM
After completing an install and you have those extra pieces of pipe laying around what do you do with them. Pieces 10ft or smaller....do you bother to keep them around? Just trying to get some ideas...thanks

therainman
11-04-2002, 03:43 AM
we keep em all, we use the shortest pieces even, they can be used when putting two fittings together... ie two els to go over or around somethingwe use short pieces of pipe as a handle for wire spools. there are many uses for smaller pieces of pipe, may save you from cutting a full piece somewhere.

shawn

HBFOXJr
11-04-2002, 09:51 PM
Why would you have a lot of 10 ft pieces around after a job is done? 10 ft is a 1/2 stick. Thats a lot of so called waste. 1' to 3' I can understand.

Arnold
11-04-2002, 11:39 PM
10' could be a tenth of a roll of pipe(what type of pipe are you talking about) all I say is couplers couplers couplers

steveair
11-10-2002, 01:00 AM
Take the 4-5' ones, wrap it around and slap a connector on and you could go into the hula hoop business!

Maybe it won't be a great business venture, but it gives the client's obnoxious children something to do besides bothering you all day!

steve

gusbuster
11-13-2002, 02:16 AM
If it's pvc pipe and not poly pipe, Why aren't you using up your small pices????

The only small pieces that I have left on a irrigation job get thrown away due to being less than a foot. If it's more than a foot, time for a coupling. I mean come on, what is it to prime and glue a coupling and two pieces.?? 30 seconds???

John

HBFOXJr
11-13-2002, 08:52 AM
Why spend time and 25 cents to salvage 12 cents worth of PVC pipe? If it is poly you have the fitting plus 2 clamps or maybe 4 depending how you work.

So I had a guy create a pick up load of pipe like this one time. I fired him the same day. Large residential PVC job, new employee with "experience" (in bulls...ting). He glued all the PVC for every pull before starting and used all full 20' lengths of pipe. Never cut off the excess and used it for the next pull. Didn't even suck it all the the way through so he cut off excess on both ends. We always pull from the male end and leave the bell end to cut off. We also pull back the excess before the cut. We don't glue pipe for the whole job at one time.

With poly, we just keep coupling on a new roll to the end of the old as we go. Scraps are minimal and trash.

My blood pressure goes up just thinking of his guy.

gusbuster
11-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Harold,
it goes with the size sytems you install vs what I install. I install way smaller systems than a lot of people. Do I use every single small piece, NO!. However, on any paticular job, most of the time I don't end up with a piece smaller than 1ft.

Anyway, I thought that's what the bell was for on a 20 footer.
John