PDA

View Full Version : Best multimeter

greenmonster304
09-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Well my side door on my utility body popped open around a corner and my meter fell out in the street and cracked open so I need a new one. What is everyone using? The one that broke wasnt anything special but I want to replace with a good one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
09-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Fluke, with the availability of non-auto ranging with a clamp would be my choice.

bcg
09-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I have Flukes and a Greenlee. I usually grab the Greenlee.

Wet_Boots
09-05-2011, 08:43 PM
breakage might point to getting multiples of cheaper multimeters - I stuck a $2.99 Harbor Freight cheapie into the case I keep wire nuts and stuff in, and it's been okay so far, but for my not much trusting the 200 ohm range (naturally, a Triplett 630 is ready to take over, but not needed this season)

More realistically, I've used a Beckman multimeter and found it very reliable.

Mike Leary
09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Jim taught Russ and Russ taught me to use the 521 from the clock (well grounded) and a non-ranging multi at the valves to find faults.

jvanvliet
09-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Klein makes a good multimeter. It also makes sense to have a "Station Master".

I'm not sure I would use one from Harbor Freight. All their stuff is made in China and so by default CRAP!

Wet_Boots
09-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Of course it's crap, and I expected it to last eleven minutes or so, but it lives yet. Kind of how some of those Home Cheapo controllers insult our sensibilities by not exploding the moment they're connected to 24 VAC

jvanvliet
09-06-2011, 04:54 PM
You mean like Klein? Its done well enough for me, reliable and with the rubber case hasn't busted the # of times I've dropped it, they make a durable clamp on meter as well. I have several Harbor Freight multimeter's they gave me for free when they ran out of their free flashlights, still in the package. I'm going to give them away as Christmas presents.

everybody should have a Station Master too, specially if the bulk of their sites don't have remotes.

1idejim
09-06-2011, 10:32 PM
of all of the multimeters that i have, the most used are my greenlee D20 and my armada pro-30.

under $30 for the greenlee and $20 for the pro-30.

both are manual, i use a separate clampmeter when measuring amperage so that i don't have to keep changing leads. the three are usually used as one for resistance, one for voltage and one for amperage. kind of a set and forget type of thing :)

Mike Leary
09-06-2011, 10:49 PM
of all of the multimeters that i have, the most used are my greenlee D20 and my armada pro-30.

under $30 for the greenlee and $20 for the pro-30.

both are manual, i use a separate clampmeter when measuring amperage so that i don't have to keep changing leads. the three are usually used as one for resistance, one for voltage and one for amperage. kind of a set and forget type of thing :)

And, you are who? :dizzy: :clapping::waving:

HunterTekGeek
09-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I use a Fluke 117. Pricey, but good for reading fluctuating voltage on decoder systems. Also accurate for 600K+ readings on 2-wire paths. As an everyday, fall-out-of-the-truck-meter the Greenlee DM-20 has most of what I need.

Hey 1idejim. Call me. I need to talk to you, please.

Mike Leary
09-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Hey 1idejim. Call me. I need to talk to you, please.

As his agent, please be informed he is now taking on-line consultations with a pay-pal pre-payment. :rolleyes:

HunterTekGeek
09-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Wow. Jim's gone big-time. Agent? Pay Pal? I'm impressed. And your cut is only 50%? You guys crack me up.

Mike Leary
09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Wow. Jim's gone big-time. Agent? Pay Pal? I'm impressed. And your cut is only 50%? You guys crack me up.

Old timers try what scams they can, this one obviously failed. :cry: