PDA

View Full Version : Knocking on Doors

daleintx
11-02-2002, 07:01 PM
Now that things are starting to slow down some I have some extra time on my hands. Has anyone ever tried knocking on doors for business. When driving down streets I always see people that need their yards mowed or worked on. Sometimes I just knock on the door and give them my card. Anyone got any good spills or lines to get the business while you are at the house and can do the lawn then.

hoagie
11-02-2002, 07:37 PM
Quite a few times I've gotten jobs by pulling up to new houses w/ moving trucks out front...

I'd knock on the door, ask if the homeowner was around and introduce myself while handing them a card. This usually turns into a 10-15min conversation about whatever (grass, moving, the weather, the sky), and ends up w/ a new account.

I've found w/ an approach like this it's all about being very friendly, professional, and more like a new neighbor instead of a salesman.

Something like: "Hello, my name is so and so, I am the owner of soandso landscaping. I service a few clients in your neighborhood and I happened to notice the moving truck. I just thought I'd stop and introduce myself "(handing the card off).

Then they usually say something like "oh, do you mow lawns":eek:

Works good but is time consuming.

Jeffsmowing
11-02-2002, 10:34 PM
Just don't knock on a door when my truck is parked out front and I am in the back yard on my lazer z....
nothin wrong with knockin on doors, I've don my share.

Swampbeast
11-03-2002, 12:00 AM
I have gotten several accounts by doing exactly what Hoagie said. Just find a moving truck, and go introduce yourself. Usually, the owners are very stressed out by the time you get there, so they are glad for the break of getting to talk to someone sane. :D
I have done lots of door knocking, just find a yard that needs it, and go knock on the door, and give them my card. And be friendly!

:cool:

Hoosier Mower
11-03-2002, 12:42 AM
I'm going to be doing the door to door thing soon also so we'll see how it goes. Good luck.

dr grass
11-03-2002, 10:27 AM
i use to do this when i was anywhere from 5-10 years old. i would sell anything that wasnt nailed down.......haha mom and dad would get real mad at me! i dont personally do it now. i look at quicker marketing strageties. im not against the idea, its just that i dont really have the need to go door to door. i have more work than i can handel now!!!

shep :blush: