PDA

View Full Version : I turn 65 today...going to RETIRE! (then go back to work)

David Haggerty
09-06-2011, 07:07 AM
I filed for Social Security retirement on line. They have a clicky where you choose, "retire & stop work" or "retire & continue to work". Heck! I'm going back to work today, on my B' day.
It ain't just that I can earn a wad of cash today, I like being out there. Doing something I like doing (most of the time).

This is a heads up for you guys who'll be looking at a retirement age somewhere in your 70's. There's not really a penalty for retiring early.
Sure you get less money per month, but you get it for more months. It averages out. Depending on how long you live.
You guys out there smoking, drinking & not excersizing had better retire right now. :nono:
One thing I've learned is; Work is NOT exercise! Work is repetive motions that'll wear out body parts. Exercise will flex your body and keep it supple.
Those guys that'd rather "just sit on the mower and mow" will find themselves sitting on something from the Scooter Store in the future. You've got to get off that mower. Trim those shrubs, lay that mulch, weed those beds. This is probably the best job for keeping fit. It don't need to be labor intensive drugery. Mix it up. Enjoy it. I do.

topsites
09-06-2011, 07:48 AM
I agree, smoking and drinking will not only reduce your lifespan drastically
but the last how many years of it are not much fun at all, this isn't so easy
to see when you're 21 and invisible.

punt66
09-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Your lucky to make it to 65. Some of us (me) will not be so lucky. Enjoy my money :).

RussellB
09-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Congrats David and happy birthday.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
09-06-2011, 09:16 AM
How much longer do you plan to stay in lAWNCARE?

Will the social security put a higher tax burden on you?

Roger
09-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Happy Birthday! I crossed that mark about five years ago, and have continued to work just as hard as I did before the revered 65 year mark.

By the way, 65 for retirement is way out of touch with reality. Age 65 was set for retirement in the late 1800s, when the life expectancy was in the 50s. Not to get political, but the 65 year mark needs a major adjustment in view of contemporary life expectancy.

Keep active, ... agree 100%. I've seen too many look forward to 65, take their SS and pension, and "fold their tent." A few months later, their name is in the obit column. Staying active requires not only body, but mind also. Again, some look forward to 65 so that they can "rest," and soon they have a hard time remembering their own name. To be sure, everybody is different, and being active is no guarantee of anything. My life is not in my hands.

Topsites: No, 21 year olds do not believe themselves to be invisible, but believe they are invincible.

Punt: keep the funds coming, ... thanks.

larryinalabama
09-06-2011, 09:37 AM
You fellers are my heros I hope Im still in lawncare at 70.

punt66
09-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Happy Birthday! I crossed that mark about five years ago, and have continued to work just as hard as I did before the revered 65 year mark.

By the way, 65 for retirement is way out of touch with reality. Age 65 was set for retirement in the late 1800s, when the life expectancy was in the 50s. Not to get political, but the 65 year mark needs a major adjustment in view of contemporary life expectancy.

Keep active, ... agree 100%. I've seen too many look forward to 65, take their SS and pension, and "fold their tent." A few months later, their name is in the obit column. Staying active requires not only body, but mind also. Again, some look forward to 65 so that they can "rest," and soon they have a hard time remembering their own name. To be sure, everybody is different, and being active is no guarantee of anything. My life is not in my hands.

Topsites: No, 21 year olds do not believe themselves to be invisible, but believe they are invincible.

Punt: keep the funds coming, ... thanks.

I am trying! haha I dont have a problem with it BTW.

David Haggerty
09-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks fellas:
It was a nice day at work today. My wife said she was sorry I had to work on my birthday. I said I was glad I am able to work on my 65th birthday. I'm probably in as good of condition as I've ever been. finally learned to take care of myself.

How much longer do you plan to stay in lAWNCARE?

Well, The loan payments I owe last 'till I'm 73 so I'd say another 8 years. Bought some rental properties, and when they get paid off we'll be in good shape financially. If we can hold it together till then.
I'm running into a little age discrimination, though people guess me in my 50's. That's only going to get worse. But I'll work as long as they hire me.

Will the social security put a higher tax burden on you?

No, not for me. My taxable income don't get that high with all the deductions. (Did I mention my wife's a professional bookkeeper & tax accountant?)

Lawn Enforcer
09-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Great story, I just talked with my neighbor who just recently retired from running a grocery store for almost 40 years, so many stories and advice from all those years. The youth of this country needs to listen to "seasoned" citizens like yourself. Best of luck with your future business endeavors!