PDA

View Full Version : Turbo ticking/sputting

Swampy
09-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I took my truck on a trip up north for about a 230mile trip. It ran fine on the way up but on the way back yesterday, I got stuck in traffic. Heard a ticking as I accelerated. So I stopped to listen to it, and the turbo was sputting at idle, seemed more like a rubbing sound. I just fired her up this morning seems to fine.

Any ideas? I hope I just didn't trash out a turbo

The truck is a 1998 Chevy 3500 with a 6.5L diesel, the turbo is a gm-8 if that helps.

65t
09-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Sometimes the injection lines can get loose and touch the turbo heat sheilding. The pulsing of the high pressure line will cause a tick to be heard in the heat sheild surrounding the turbo. If this is the problem, the ticking sound will somewhat relate to engine speed. I think you'd know if the turbo was bad. There would be allot of black and/or white smoke on acceleration.

Swampy
09-06-2011, 02:01 PM
what is a allot of white smoke? like bellowing out of the tail pipe? There is a little white smoke on start up and when it idling but it is not smoking out a area.

65t
09-06-2011, 02:12 PM
White smoke on start up is glow plugs. Hard to say what is causing white smoke at idle. Could be worn injectors. How many miles? You could take the duct from the air cleaner housing to the turbo off and spin the turbo. Make sure it spins freely. I doubt you have a turbo problem though.

Swampy
09-06-2011, 06:14 PM
164K I want to say.

Swampy
09-06-2011, 06:46 PM
sorry double post, from my knowledge the injectors where replaced before I bought along with the DMP which was also relocated with a heat sink. Checked all the lines they seem tight by hand. I just checked the inners of the turbo, they spin free without any catching or play. Still has a that rubbing/sputting/ticking from that side.

Swampy
09-09-2011, 02:31 AM
Just had my buddy check it out, its the vaccum pump, which is close to the turbo.