PDA

View Full Version : Worth it to swap in a new motor?

Bautieri
09-06-2011, 02:11 PM
*Edit* Engine, not motor

Hi Guys, first post!

I’m not sure if it is appropriate for me to post here or not. I mow a three yards for some elderly folks in the neighborhood who also attend the church I go to, but I don’t charge them. Crippled up and on a fixed income…you know that story. Maybe that's enough to fit the definition of "residential" mowing. They give me gas for the mowers and some baked goods once in awhile (I was never one to turn down homemade pies). I guess I’m just a swell guy who doesn’t mind helping his neighbors out. It also helps that I really like to cut grass.

Anyways, two years ago I bought a ‘93 Scag SW36-13KA to speed things up. It ran great for two years; it always started on the second or third pull and would run all day. Barely used any gas and nearly cut my mowing time in half. I love this mower! Well, last month the Kawasaki FB-460v refuses to start. I cleaned the carb, tested spark, changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter to no avail. I do a compression test and she’s coming in at 10psi…and falling. I open it up and the intake valve has no clearance from the tappet and is sticking open just a hair. Naturally, the tappet is not adjustable. I don’t have the tools to pull the valves and grind them down, so I send it to the shop. The shop called me today and claims there is a “crack in the valve seat” (now this is going off memory from the call three hours ago) and it’s not repairable. The engine needs swapped out. I asked for the mechanic’s diagnosis in writing so I have some information to stew over while I ponder my next move. I don’t know how much I buy that answer, but the guy who called wasn’t the mechanic so it’s likely some verbiage got mixed up.

My question is if you guys think it is worth it or not to replace an engine on a mower that is 18 years old? The deck is solid without a spec of rust, transmission is strong. If you’ve done this before, which engine would you recommend? Any idea what this might run me? The shop was going to check into replacement engines and call back later. Should I just look for something else? I appreciate any brain cycles that you guys/gals put into this.

Bau

Oakleaf landscape
09-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Well more than likely it's gonna be around $1,100 for the new kaw engine and labor to install it. That's just my guess. For $1,100 you could probably find a decent used walkbehind on Craigslist. But you don't know how it has been taken care of and who knows, you might buy it and the motor blows 50 hrs later. (Happened to me on my first Craigslist find)... Personally I probably wouldn't fix the motor. Just sell it to a scrap yard and get a few hundred for it and invest in something a little newer.

i cut with ferris
09-06-2011, 04:24 PM
if you like the mower enough put another motor on it.

Richard Martin
09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
*Edit* Engine, not motor

Motor or engine is acceptable. Have you ever heard of the Ford Engine Company? No. It's the Ford MOTOR Company.

topsites
09-06-2011, 07:48 PM
The easy answer is no.

jsslawncare
09-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Find an old lawn tractor, get the engine off of it and use it. Alot of John Deers's use the same motor. I've done this several times. The tractors are wore out and the engines have a couple of hundred hours if that.

Restrorob
09-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Bautieri,

I'm going against the grain here....If this machine is still in good shape as you state, and suits your needs I don't feel you could replace it with someone else's half worn out machine for the cost of a new engine; http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=21B977-0210&desc=Briggs%20&%20Stratton%20Engine%20%2013.5hp%20Vertical%201%22x3-5/32%22%20Shaft,%20Intek%20OHV,%20Muffler,%20Electric%20&%20Recoil%20Start,%20Oil%20Filter,%20Fuel%20Tank

You should be able to perform the swap yourself and save the labor, Remove the electric starter and sell it to help offset the cost.....

You must measure your old crankshaft diameter and length to assure you purchase the proper new engine, From what I seen the engine above should be right but verify first.

unit28
09-06-2011, 08:59 PM
just guessing but this may be a suffecient low cost replacement..

Briggs EngineItem: 21B907-002913.5 HP - Intek; 1" x 3 5/32" crankshaft, electric & recoil start, 3 Amp DC / 14v AC, with muffler, no oil filter, with fuel pump, no fuel tankSale Price: $420.00

Restrorob
09-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Briggs EngineItem: 21B907-002913.5 HP - Intek; 1" x 3 5/32" crankshaft, electric & recoil start, 3 Amp DC / 14v AC, with muffler, no oil filter, with fuel pump, no fuel tankSale Price: $420.00

IMO, It would be well worth the extra 30 bux for the one I posted with the optional oil filter assembly.....

Coumbe
09-07-2011, 04:07 AM
will the bolt holes line up?

Richard Martin
09-07-2011, 04:54 AM
will the bolt holes line up?

Yes. And even if they don't (very unlikely) then it nothing that a 5/16" drill won't fix.

Bautieri
09-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Bautieri,

I'm going against the grain here....If this machine is still in good shape as you state, and suits your needs I don't feel you could replace it with someone else's half worn out machine for the cost of a new engine; http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=21B977-0210&desc=Briggs%20&%20Stratton%20Engine%20%2013.5hp%20Vertical%201%22x3-5/32%22%20Shaft,%20Intek%20OHV,%20Muffler,%20Electric%20&%20Recoil%20Start,%20Oil%20Filter,%20Fuel%20Tank

You should be able to perform the swap yourself and save the labor, Remove the electric starter and sell it to help offset the cost.....

You must measure your old crankshaft diameter and length to assure you purchase the proper new engine, From what I seen the engine above should be right but verify first.

Thank you very much for the link to this engine, when I pick my mower up later this week I'll measure the crankshaft like you advised. If this is a match, I'll most likely buy this Briggs.

Everyone else: thank you for responses! I appreciate your time and consideration for my little mower.

I MOW ALONE
09-07-2011, 10:48 AM
one thing is dont expect much life expectency out of the briggs. you will get maybe 25% life compared to a kawi. that has just been my experience with briggs.

Restrorob
09-07-2011, 12:10 PM
one thing is dont expect much life expectency out of the briggs. you will get maybe 25% life compared to a kawi. that has just been my experience with briggs.

This guy doesn't mow commercially like you, So with proper maintenance he should be able to get many years use out of this little Briggs.....

Impressions Landscaping
09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Why not just put a new cylinder head on the motor and call it a day?

Restrorob
09-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Why not just put a new cylinder head on the motor and call it a day?

A FB460 is not a OHV engine, The valves/seats are in the block.....

i cut with ferris
09-07-2011, 06:51 PM

i would go with the briggs. less problems my kawi give me problems all the time! run great for the 1 st two years then its all down hill. they hate the cold! my briggs will run until it pops!!!

jsslawncare
09-07-2011, 08:58 PM
This guy doesn't mow commercially like you, So with proper maintenance he should be able to get many years use out of this little Briggs.....

I mow alone- I agree with you.