PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear of Turf Tiger's having gearbox problems?

mklawnman
11-02-2002, 11:14 PM
Was out mowing an apartment complex with my Turf Tiger today, and a guy pulls up in the parking lot and asks me if I would want a new gearbox put on it. Im like ummmm not really, he starts talking about how he knows of some people at Scag and that he works for some gearbox company who put some different kind of gearboxes on some Turf Tigers. The guy claims that they,"Scag" have been having gearbox's leaking and failing??? :rolleyes:
He claims all i have to do is call him up, and they will either come down to my place pick up the gearbox or i ship it to them and they in turn give me their brand of gearbox free of charge. Whats the catch????:confused:
The guy seemed nice and he gave me his card, never heard of the company that he works for. Im like "so it wont cost me anything?" He's like "nope", well im like ok.
Im for sure NOT going to call him up considering its a 2001 model and i have had no problems with the gearbox leaking or even heard of such a thing, only if the thing gets old would i hear about one leaking because of wear and such.
Seemed to be strange to me when the guy asked me about it and seems alittle suspicious but yet he could be telling the whole truth.
Id rather just go to the dealer if i had any problems.
Matt

odin
11-02-2002, 11:19 PM
Late nineties and 2000 modal turf tiger's had gearbox problems and the shaft that drive the mower deck had big problems.

mklawnman
11-02-2002, 11:27 PM
Yeah i heard about the Turf Tigers having drive shaft problems but i didnt totally know that it was also the gearbox that had problems too. Well i know for a fact that this a newer type, even asked the guy at the dealer and he said the 2001 models have the new type of shaft so we didnt have to get a replacement.
Matt

Swampbeast
11-02-2002, 11:57 PM
Eh? What? This guy couldnt have been just being nice, they simply dont do that. There was a catch somewhere....hmmmm.......
Havent had a single problem with my Turf Tiger.

:cool:

Shady Brook
11-03-2002, 12:56 AM
Yep, what Odin said. You should be ok with your model year, don't sweat it.

Jay

P&J Lawncare
11-03-2002, 05:23 PM
I would like to talk with this guy, I have 2 old gear boxes that went bad and I would love to trade them for brand new (free) gear boxes

mklawnman
11-03-2002, 05:35 PM
Hey P&J Lawncare
I just e-mailed ya the information about this guy.
Good Luck
Matt