PDA

View Full Version : Restoring lawn after ocean comes onto lawn

Keegan
09-06-2011, 08:28 PM
I have a few clients that have had their lawns severely effected via Irene. I've read that adding gypsum to the soil will form sodium sulfate and irrigate heavily which will leave calcium behind.

Has anyone ever tried this? Also, is lime necessary or will that do more harm?

Today we have had rain all day. :clapping:

RigglePLC
09-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Rain is good--clean water will flush out the salt. I am not from the coast. I suggest plant some perennial rye in a soil sample in a flower pot in the affected soil. AT 85 degrees--you should have tiny sprouts in 4 days. Compare it to salt-free soil. Compare it to a mix of half good soil and half the affected soil. Take a sample and water it heavy 4 times--let drain--then see if seeds will grow in the flower pot.

How about showing us some pictures. We will be sympathetic, I promise. It won't make it any worse.

ICT Bill
09-06-2011, 10:47 PM
I have a few clients that have had their lawns severely effected via Irene. I've read that adding gypsum to the soil will form sodium sulfate and irrigate heavily which will leave calcium behind.

Has anyone ever tried this? Also, is lime necessary or will that do more harm?

Today we have had rain all day. :clapping:

yes you are on the right track, we worked with many from katrina and the gypsum helped, we do not have a gypsum product and cannot suggest one but that is a good place to start

and then bioremdiate that stuff!

Snapper12
09-08-2011, 10:18 PM
is recycled drywall a good source for gypsum?

ICT Bill
09-09-2011, 09:42 AM
is recycled drywall a good source for gypsum?

I would say "NO", there have been some real issues with heavy metals in drywall from china, my buddy is a builder and says there are some huge lawsuits going on. people have been sickened by living in there own home, in many cases they have had to move out until the drywall is striped and replaced

rlitman
09-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I would say "NO", there have been some real issues with heavy metals in drywall from china, my buddy is a builder and says there are some huge lawsuits going on. people have been sickened by living in there own home, in many cases they have had to move out until the drywall is striped and replaced

Not that I'm suggesting recycled drywall, but the Chinese drywall issues have been with sulfur, and not heavy metals. The sulfur has been outgassing, causing metal pipe and copper wiring to corrode.

ICT Bill
09-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Not that I'm suggesting recycled drywall, but the Chinese drywall issues have been with sulfur, and not heavy metals. The sulfur has been outgassing, causing metal pipe and copper wiring to corrode.

thanks for the correction, so it would help remediate the salt AND lower the pH, cool