PDA

View Full Version : Z-737 Wire melts when PTO ingaged

msgatorlawn
09-06-2011, 11:55 PM
I need to see if anyone else has had this issue. Any suggestions to the cause.
This just happened. While cutting, the Battery light came on. Then the PTO stops. Then I smell wire burning. The connection box in wiring harness has melted between the PTO clutch and in gage knob. Any Ideas?

tarradane
09-07-2011, 10:06 AM
I had a similar problem last year with my scag ztr. The blade clutch was bad and drew a lot more power from the battery. It heated up the wires and caused the on/off switch to fail. I replaced the battery first, then the switch . Finally the clutch,which fixed problem. try setting gap on clutch first.

msgatorlawn
09-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info. I just had the clutch replaced two years ago. I will try adjusting the gap. The clutch went out only after three years of use the first time. I pray this is not a recurring issue every two to three years. Thanks again for the tip.
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
09-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Something shorted out...It should have only blown a fuse.
The melted wiring should lead to the problem.

msgatorlawn
09-07-2011, 06:05 PM
John deere told me the clutch was proubly shorting out inside the wiring assembly and replacement was all I could do. It couldn't be repaired. Thanks for you your input. I will look some more at it to see what can be done. Hard to believe it would only last two years.
Posted via Mobile Device

fixer67
09-08-2011, 01:51 AM
You may want to check out this thread. He is having the same problem as you
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=360745