PDA

View Full Version : blowouttttttssssssss

cuttin-to-the-Max
09-07-2011, 12:32 AM
One question! Do you guys blow the lines clear of all water or leave a little in?

never done too many blowouts other than my own and a hand full of others! As i expand i would like to make sure i am doing it correctly!
I have also read many articles that go bak and forth! So i have also included a poll!

DanaMac
09-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Once I see the last head start to spit, I shut her down.
On a good note, Pikes Peak is getting snowed on right now, Mt Evans rd is closed at the the top due to snow. Blowouts will be starting EARLY this year!! Just scheduled one for next Monday, September 12th.

AI Inc
09-07-2011, 07:43 AM
you will never get it all out and if you try you will probably melt heads doing so.

bobw
09-07-2011, 09:54 AM
I do my best to dry them out up here. I know most of my competition shuts the compressor down earlier than I do, but what the heck, my goal is NO freeze damage in the spring.

As to the head melting issue; lower pressure is the key. Love the newbie hacks that pick up the compressor at the rental house and start doing blowouts at 100+psi...

Stuttering Stan
09-07-2011, 11:19 AM
I wait till the heads spit air. I'm sure some water remains but there's enough room for it to expand without splitting pipe. I'm fortunate enough to not have a deep freeze line too.

Wet_Boots
09-07-2011, 11:44 AM
The difference between spitting air and dead dry is miniscule, even when using a dinky.

Mike Leary
09-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Love the newbie hacks that pick up the compressor at the rental house and start doing blowouts at 100+psi...

:laugh: First blowout I did not only launched heads to the moon, but melted some valves before I realized what that smell was.:dizzy:

cuttin-to-the-Max
09-07-2011, 04:03 PM
i blow at 50psi! so no need to worry about heads flying! But man is it funny to watch a head fly!

BPS##
09-07-2011, 04:16 PM
I warrant mine to be no freeze damage in the spring or I fix it.

The standard blow is 1 min on each zone..... twice.
Only takes a few mins to make me sleep good knowing I'm not going to be paying for repairs in the spring.
Bigger systems or drip lines can take longer.
Smaller systems with small zones may be less time.

BPS##
09-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Love the newbie hacks that pick up the compressor at the rental house and start doing blowouts at 100+psi...

That is fun to watch.

I always turn my rental down to 60 psi or less.

I need the CFM not the PSI.

Mike Leary
09-07-2011, 04:21 PM
I still remember a 12" Stream Rotor that blew with me standing in front of it with the remote. It came within inches of taking my jaw off!

txirrigation
09-07-2011, 05:20 PM
I warrant mine to be no freeze damage in the spring or I fix it.

The standard blow is 1 min on each zone..... twice.
Only takes a few mins to make me sleep good knowing I'm not going to be paying for repairs in the spring.
Bigger systems or drip lines can take longer.
Smaller systems with small zones may be less time.

You warranty is commendable. We dont get freeze damage at all (except for the above ground backflow valves) and we still do spring start ups and without fail something is always broken.

That is amazing customer service, just be careful not to put yourself out of business doing that. A lot of things break over the winter that isnt freeze damage.

Wet_Boots
09-07-2011, 05:48 PM
The problem with guaranteeing against freeze damage, is that valves get mistakenly opened in the winter, and even when they aren't tampered with, ball valves can fail to be drip-tight when closed.

BPS##
09-07-2011, 08:46 PM
You warranty is commendable. We dont get freeze damage at all (except for the above ground backflow valves) and we still do spring start ups and without fail something is always broken.

That is amazing customer service, just be careful not to put yourself out of business doing that. A lot of things break over the winter that isnt freeze damage.

I thumped the heck out of my wood desk before typing.
And I crossed my fingers and my legs........... so far..... so good other than the occasional nozzle or $2 head. Very occasional.

BPS##
09-07-2011, 08:47 PM
The problem with guaranteeing against freeze damage, is that valves get mistakenly opened in the winter, and even when they aren't tampered with, ball valves can fail to be drip-tight when closed.

I protect myself as much as I can.

The supply valve is shut, the ball valves at the back flow are shut and the
test cocks are left open.
I expect to get bit one day but until then my warranty brings me business.

txirrigation
09-07-2011, 09:01 PM
I protect myself as much as I can.

The supply valve is shut, the ball valves at the back flow are shut and the
test cocks are left open.
I expect to get bit one day but until then my warranty brings me business.

Got to love the guy that stands behind his work. You better be in good with the Man upstairs, or that might bite you hard in the future.

Kiril
09-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Got to love the guy that stands behind his work.

Does that mean you love me? :waving:

Mike Leary
09-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Does that mean you love me? :waving:

Seems to me ,sonny,that your grandpappy told us, (after he beat the crap out of us and threw us in the outhouse), that you EARN love, it's not a given.

GreenI.A.
09-07-2011, 10:12 PM

I warentee blowouts as well. I have been toying with the idea of adding a lockable ball valve on just before the backflow on all my new installs. Then at winterization it would be locked to be sure it is not "accidentally" turned back on

BPS##
09-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I warentee blowouts as well. I have been toying with the idea of adding a lockable ball valve on just before the backflow on all my new installs. Then at winterization it would be locked to be sure it is not "accidentally" turned back on

If I ever have a serious issue you can be sure that'll happen.

I've been trying to come up with a way of taping off or zip tying off the supply valve so that if that seal is broken in the spring the warranty is void.

AI Inc
09-08-2011, 08:27 AM
We warrenty em too, but there will always be a few where the interior ball valve fails over time and passes water. Almost all understand when it is explained to them.

DIXIECONTRACTING
09-08-2011, 11:29 AM
I blow until spitting and do each zone 2x never had a problem probably a little left in but not enough to cause freeze damage.

GreenI.A.
09-08-2011, 03:49 PM

I've been trying to come up with a way of taping off or zip tying off the supply valve so that if that seal is broken in the spring the warranty is void.

I'm just thinking about it for those rndom winters when we don't get a freeze until real late. I remember the winter of 05-06, Boston didn't get it's First measureable snow until mid february. My lawn didn't go dorment until then. Im thinking a winter like that, how many homeowners might turn there system back on manually to give it a little water in late february because the lawn is still green and we hadn't had any rain.

One thing I do do is if there is a water spickot on the supply line outside before the backflow I will leave it open, that was if the ball valve inside fails hoefully the customer notices

AI Inc
09-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Even if they dont notice , most will drip . Sometimes it will build up and freeze thou. But hey , by the time they need a new interior ball valve , the backflow has lived 90% of its life anyway.

cuttin-to-the-Max
09-08-2011, 06:55 PM

A buddy of mine and i were JUST talking about this at lunch! (Since its been raining for 2 days) He Has pull up ties on all the valves that he winterizes. With colored stripes. They are similar to zip ties but they are distinctive enough to the point where the average Homeowner Cant replace them (EASILY)! "Most valve handles have a hole in them so it works well" he says.

Hole in shut off handle:
http://www.nibco.com/showFile.do?fileId=968

Mike Leary
09-08-2011, 08:01 PM
I blow until spitting and do each zone 2x never had a problem probably a little left in but not enough to cause freeze damage.

That's how I was taught, also, but over the years, one gets a sense of when it's enough. I don't double-blow "burp" anymore.