PDA

View Full Version : Purging the list

AI Inc
09-07-2011, 02:08 PM
How long does someones account have to be inactive before you remove them from the customer list , if ever?

Mike Leary
09-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Never say never, especially if it's one of your installs. That being said, a client, be it an install or a cold call, goes on a list in order of the "water feature". If someone did not have us maintain the system, they went to the bottom of the list when they called whining about a problem. We used to joke about a particular slow pay that got his appointment below the list and chalked-in on the floor of my office. There were many, many, that I simply never bothered to return their calls, and I think they finally got the point why. There was also, a ton of times, that I drained my glass, put down my fork and went over to a call, because I trusted and liked the client, who always paid promptly, I might add.

AI Inc
09-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Getting blowout letters ready now and coming across a few I know I havnt serviced in 5 + yrs. Sometimes I will just change it to " resident" and leave em.

Kiril
09-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Never purge anything .... merely mark the account as active or inactive or some other means/method of marking customer status.

AI Inc
09-07-2011, 02:38 PM
merely mark the account as active or inactive or some other means/method of marking customer status.

" only return calls when nothing else to do"

Mike Leary
09-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Since, we're the "last guys", we've had the cops called when we swung-in to winterize 'cause no one told us the house had changed hands.

Wet_Boots
09-07-2011, 02:48 PM
I remember a phone call from law enforcement wondering who was that furtive character seen slinking away from from a home, dragging a hose.

DanaMac
09-07-2011, 02:58 PM
2 years, then I move them to inactive. Doesn't mean I won't work for them I'd they call. But they will now be off ny mailing list.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
09-07-2011, 03:09 PM
I move them to inactive.

Will you move me to "inactive", please?

Wet_Boots
09-07-2011, 03:33 PM
we already moved you to "near-comatose"

txirrigation
09-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I send letters that say:

"Customer Name"
or current resident

The last part of the letter explains that if it is a new resident, we have serviced the system in the past.

So-- to anser your question, NEVER take them off the list. If a home owner knows you have been there in the past and you have your stuff together enough to send letters or call, they will use you.

bobw
09-07-2011, 05:47 PM
3 years and I move them off the mailing list. I figure if they haven't winterized in the last 2 winters, I don't want to fix it; and if they have, they've founds someone else that is cheaper/more likeable/etc. No point in flogging dead horses.