PDA

View Full Version : Resto, Linerider, Kiser-need some expert "hydro" help!!

MoGreen
09-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I've taken apart my Eaton 778 pump/transaxle assembly and have completely cleaned the internals.....
It seems that the ball piston, pump rotor, motor rotor and brass bushing seem to be the culprit of the problems Bobcat Leo riders have experienced....
I really cannot find any info other that what I listed to be the problems.
I CAN get them from partstree.com and the parts amount to about $305.
#1716057-Axle Housing Gasket
#1726045-Caps-Filter
#1716045-Rotor/Ball pump
#1716046-Rotor/Ball spring motor
I also need the "actuator" which seems to be part # 108240-000 but partstree doesn't seem to carry it..?
Also, what weight Hydro fluid do I need? Bobcat tells me 50wt, Eaton tells me 30wt AND i've read 20w50 hydro fluid-(anti-foam properties)
Anything else I need to know before putting this baby back together???
Thanks for your help. I know Kiser did this, but not sure if he has had any additional problems since.....?

MoGreen
09-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Hmm, is there no way to edit your post once you've posted it? Cannot find out how..
Anyhow, here is the link to the part if it helps any.
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=simplicity&mn=1693230+-+ZT%2C+18HP+Hydro&dn=19261
Also looking for the actuator, but it doesn't seem to be available as a separate part?

Restrorob
09-07-2011, 06:25 PM
MoGreen,

I did some snoop'n around and couldn't locate that actuator or any real on-line store to purchase from, I did confirm it's a good number on Eaton's site.

You may want to punch your zip in here and contact your nearest Eaton Distributor, They can in turn give you your nearest parts dealer; http://web2.fluidpower.eaton.com/DistributorLocator/DistributorLocatorHyd.aspx

As far as oil, I've used nothing but the recommended 30w Eaton says for over 20yrs without issues.....

Good Luck

MoGreen
09-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks. Just got off of the phone with Bobcat and THEY say Eaton suggests Mobil 1 Delvac synthetic transmission fluid!!!??Huh?
Bobcat has discontinued their Textron SHC 50 Mobil Trans Fluid. I remember them telling me to use IT about 5 years ago.
I said that I had called Eaton and the tech guy told me 30wt hydro fluid. The tech at Bobcat said the 30wt is too light. Kinda confused here....
Man, this stinks. I have to wait 6-8 weeks for one part- (actuator)
Buyer beware when you buy a mower with an Eaton pump!!!!!!!! Service is not too great.

Restrorob
09-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Well MoGreen.....

I have a problem going against the recommendations of the company that built the item, Especially hearing different from some voice on the other end of a phone line. If anyone knows what works best for their design the OEM's of the item would.

Do you have the full service manual on this pump ?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Hydro%20Gear/Eaton778FluidType.jpg

MoGreen
09-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Yes, but that was the revision of 1999 version.
I think i'll go on your initial recommendation though of 30w. What should I be looking for as far as wear on the pump assembly?
When I bought the mower, the right hydro would "chatter" when moving forward like the gears were stripped. (previous owner tried to do wheelies on it-dumb!)
No whining noise like I have heard in the past-just the wheel jerking and chattering. When I took it apart, the gears looked fine with no beveled edges or missing teeth. I'm thinking the pump rotor/balls is not making enough pressure to turn the axle. Read elsewhere that the brass insert in the pump rotor gets hot a will either seize or lose pressure.