PDA

View Full Version : Toro Proline Melting Wires

Archery720
09-07-2011, 10:18 PM
I have a toro proline 52 that will run fine, and drive fine. However when you eengage the blades the wires leading to the clutch melt and eventually short out and the blades quit. I have replaced the wire with a higher gauge wire and experienced the same problem. Any ideas? Is the clutch just shot? Any help you guys could give would be massively appreciated. I am looking to start a lawn service company in the near future and really could use some chips to fall my way. Thanks in advance.

fixer67
09-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Unplug the clutch. Get an ohm meter. Check the ohms from wire to wire. Now check the ohms from each wire to the metal frame of the clutch.

Now some newer PTO clutch systems have a blocking diode in the clutch wiring and if you get the wires hooked up back-wards you will have problems.

Wire to wire you should get from 2 to 5 ohms. This varies from clutch to clutch and from meter to meter.
From wire to frame you should get open. Do your test and post your reading here.

Give model and serial of the Toro and any numbers that may be on the clutch itself.

Archery720
09-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Unplug the clutch. Get an ohm meter. Check the ohms from wire to wire. Now check the ohms from each wire to the metal frame of the clutch.

Now some newer PTO clutch systems have a blocking diode in the clutch wiring and if you get the wires hooked up back-wards you will have problems.

Wire to wire you should get from 2 to 5 ohms. This varies from clutch to clutch and from meter to meter.
From wire to frame you should get open. Do your test and post your reading here.

Give model and serial of the Toro and any numbers that may be on the clutch itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Archery720
09-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Awesome! I will do this as soon as I get home. Currently I am out of town on business. Thanks for the promt reply!
Posted via Mobile Device

fixer67
09-08-2011, 12:52 AM
You may want to check out this thread. He is having the same problem as you are.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=360678

BigFish
09-08-2011, 10:11 AM
I posted links to clutch mfg. sites here. they have the correct specs for checking/wringing out your unit. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=359231&highlight=warner+clutch
You might wanna save the sites.

Archery720
09-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Archery720
09-08-2011, 10:13 AM
You guys are awesome....thanks a million! I will check all this out and post my results.
Posted via Mobile Device