PDA

View Full Version : Company Looking to expand into spraying.

Superiorlandscaping
11-03-2002, 04:50 PM
Alrighty here, I have no experience reguarding spraying of fertalizers or pesticides. I am looking to expand my company into this field. I have a couple of extra pick ups that i could throw the tanks in. Please either post or email me the steps on how to set one of these up.

I have a landscaping company that primarily focuses on the cutting the grass of millionares homes. They all have a separate company spray there grass and continue to ask me when i am going to expand my operation to do that. I keep telling them soon, and this winter is going to be the winter i make the switch. I have tried to find information on the web but i am having a difficult time. Please include, what equipment i am going to need, information on the types of chemicals needed, when to apply these chemicals, possibly information on soil ph(no clue if that is a factor or not, but i am assuming it is). Thank you so much. My email is Couvan57@aol.com if you wish to contact me that way. Also if your realm of expertise is not with pestacides but with irragation that also email me. I am also expanding the operation to include irragation systems, inground sprinklers and such. ( i dont know if i need aliscense or not so i am just as dumb on that subject.)Thank you for you time, hopefully i will get tons of information on this.

MATTHEW
11-03-2002, 09:15 PM
SUPERIOR, it is exciting to know that all that extra money is at your fingertips, but beware...

This field is more technical and requires a lot of knowledge and some experience. I've been the culprit of a few dead lawns in my early years because I failed to diagnose an insect or disease correctly. Do that, and you'll lose the account altogether! It's not just weed & feed.

To start, read all you can at LS. Call the Dept. Of Ag. and get the study materials. Find out where you can get materials and how much they will cost. Price the equipment. Be prepared for extra insurance that your present Co. may not offer. Do that homework!

Personally, I would hold off another year. But if after all this, you feel confident... go for it!

Good luck!

:blob3:

Fvstringpicker
11-03-2002, 09:28 PM
Your first step is to contact your state's department of agriculture and find out what kind test(s) you need to take. You're not going to be able to apply , or buy most for that matter, chemicals unless you're certified and licensed by your state. BTY, you're getting into a realm that's a whole lot more difficult, dangerous, and a hell of a lot liability than cutting grass for millionare's and throwing tanks in the back of pick-up trucks. Unless you plan to hire an expert in this area, I wouldn't putting out flyers on chemical application just yet. At any rate, good luck

FvStringPicker

bubble boy
11-04-2002, 06:29 PM
it's not like we can give you specifics and you can be on your way. not sure about your state, but you're likely looking at classes, tests and much studying. be prepared many fail the first time (often here more than half of any class will fail)

so don't offer anything until you've passed.

and look into insurance, as mentioned

PaulJ
11-05-2002, 02:07 AM
.This field is more technical and requires a lot of knowledge and some experience.

If you have never done this before, mayde see about hiring someone who has. Maybe an expierence applicator from another company or even from the Ag sector. Even someone who has been spraying corn fields will know how the products need to be handled and how to calibrate the equipment. (Thats where I learned). I don't know how big your operation is, but this could be a way to expand with someone else running the new part of the operation. You dont have to try to learn it all at once if you can hire someone who already has some of the knowledge.

This could also work for the irrigation part of the buisness. I have seen to many dry patches from poorly designed systems.

just an idea to kick around

(Hey I just figured out haw to use the Quote feature):D :D