PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas: pavement near stream?

PSUhardscaper
09-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Friends of mine recently bought a new house. They said they would like some kind of pavement or deck where their chairs are placed in the pictures below. I am posting these pictures to hopefully get opinions from those of you who have worked in an area like this. I didn't tell them there's nothing you can build, but I did stress the fact that a pavement is not conducive with an undercut bank, leaning tree, and exposed roots. Any ideas?

AztlanLC
09-08-2011, 03:50 PM
If it were me a stamped concrete or blue stone on concrete would be my choice depending on budget

eastcoastjessee
09-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Maybe a deck that cantilevers from the solid ground to the edge of the tree/bank. You could do the same with concrete piers and a reinforced slab but that would be expensive.

PSUhardscaper
09-08-2011, 05:36 PM
do you think 4" reinforced concrete would not crack even if that tree continues to lean more and more? I really don't want to recommend something that isn't going to last.

DVS Hardscaper
09-08-2011, 05:45 PM
The first concern is when this creek rises above it's banks, which it WILL.

Next is the tree roots.

I'm guessing they're a young couple, probably their first house? So naturally, they have all sorts of BIG plans. Best thing they can do is live in the house for a while and get a good feel for what goes in with heavy rains and/or snow melts. When little ones come along they won't want them so close to the creek. Work your magic and find them somewhere else to plop down a patio.

Glenn Lawn Care
09-08-2011, 05:50 PM
I would do a little fire pit patio combo.

SDLandscapes VT
09-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Cantilevered deck, but DVS has good points....I would not do patio work here.

robtown
09-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I would come back 15 to 20 ft back and did it out as a curved retaining wall put a couple of steps and sink a patio witha firepit. I would put in a small bulkhead along the river. I would also do a permable paver patio. If they have the money it would be a magnificent patio.

Dr.NewEarth
09-09-2011, 11:02 PM
My first thought is, would the city issue a permit for that spot? What are the restrictions?

We wouldn't even be allowed to build a house that close to a waterway around here any-more.

The Federal Department of Fisheries wants us to be at least 45 feet back from the bank if it's fish bearing or eventually leads to a fish bearing waterway. This can include ditches.

What exposed the tree roots?

On the other hand, to answer your question...I would put a short cedar deck on cement pads.

DVS Hardscaper
09-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Cantilevered deck, but DVS has good points....I would not do patio work here.

yeah Evan, put that Penn State education to work :laugh:

JoeyDipetro
09-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Definitely a deck in that area. No good reason to install a patio.