PDA

View Full Version : Doubles plus catcher

wattsup
11-03-2002, 05:14 PM
Does anyone run doubles with a grass catcher? Would it work, is it feasable. I am buying a Super Z with a catcher and wonder if this would be a good set up. I have never used a catcher before, but I need one for leaf removal. Thanks.

rodfather
11-03-2002, 05:18 PM
In the Fall, we run double Gators on all our mowers. Run through the leaves once or twice and make a wind row. Then vac them up.

Said and done.

wattsup
11-03-2002, 05:21 PM
Why do you mulch and then vac them up? Like I said I have zero idea how this should be done.

rodfather
11-03-2002, 05:26 PM
We mulch them some so we can get more material (leaves) into the barrels (catcher, for you). This in turn means fewer number of times to empty the barrels.

Time is money...the faster we can do the job, the more profit there is.

P&J Lawncare
11-03-2002, 06:40 PM
Running doubles with the bagger on a super z will work but it really beats up the clutch because of the extra blades and the bagger being tied into the spindle. We have no problem bagging with single blades and in my opinion the super z is the best bagging system around so there is no need to run doubles with it. I do run doubles when I am not bagging and I have posted on the hustler forum what blade combo's work the best for me.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-03-2002, 11:29 PM
A debate about mulching vrs bagging.

http://207.44.158.62/~admin2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35978

John DiMartino
11-03-2002, 11:33 PM
I ran doubles last yr and bagged,If it was real thick,id mulch the lawn,then throw on the bagger chute and suck it up,id get a lot more in the hopper.I have a separate engine on my trac vac,so it doesnt pull off my dixies engine.I wouldnt try it with a super z,with the electric clutch unless your running a peco or a vac that is self powered,not driven off the spindle,too much load to get started,IMO.

PaulJ
11-04-2002, 01:30 AM
I have been running doubles most of the season on my 36" Lesco WB. Somtimes with the grass gobbleer catcher sometimes without. Either way I feel the double blades with Gators on top, greatly reduce the volume of clippings. Without the bag the clippings dispers into the trurf better, and when catching they pack into the bag better and more tiny pieces blow right through the mesh of the catcher so I haul away less. Some say doubles create too much blow out for leaves and I thought I would have to go back to singles for cleanups but not yet.

What I do is put the bag on and when it fills with leaves, wich is usualy right away I just keep going. ( If I had a plate to block the discharge I would use that but a full bag does the same thing). This grinds the leaves up considerably, reducing the volume. Sometimes I will go over the deep areas 2-3 times . Then I dump the catcher and mow the entire yard, striping and bagging the grass and ground up leaves. There is a lot less bag dumping this way and a lot less bulk to haul away.

Also In the truck bed there I always put a tarp down first, and when its time to dump I just pull/roll the whole load out in a few seconds( if it's a big load I will layer several tarps ).
This has worked for me so far.
But I know everyones situation is different.