PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Japanese Maple Trees

lawnservicefreak22
09-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Right now I have a good drought going on, along with just about everyone else, and I was wondering if it is okay to trim the japanese maple/any hedges up during a drought? I personally thought it would help them to survive but i'm not sure about the shock.

White Gardens
09-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Right now I have a good drought going on, along with just about everyone else, and I was wondering if it is okay to trim the japanese maple/any hedges up during a drought? I personally thought it would help them to survive but i'm not sure about the shock.

You should be OK as long as you aren't aggressive.

The biggest problem with pruning any shrub this time of year is that the new growth won't be hardy enough going into winter and any new growth from now until spring potentially could be burned off.

Trimming the branches on a tree/shrub will shut off growth hormones in the roots, and if you pruned the roots, it will shut off growth in the branches. This principal is applied in Bonsai Techniques.

So, if you look at a tree/shrub and it's showing signs of heat/drought stress such as early leaf drop or curling or burnt leaves, then I'd stay away from them.