PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Lawns

bmackail
09-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone mows lawns in South Carolina? My questions is, the weather changes here a bit, but does not freeze. What is the best way to keep the lawns nice and green and ready to mow in the colder months? Any help would be great.

jequigle
09-10-2011, 04:58 PM
One way to keep lawns green and growing throughout the winter months is to overseed with a cool season grass. Then come March you would have to overseed again with a warm season grass. I know my grass goes dormant here in the winter months and they turn off the sprinkler system..

Rednekdaddy
09-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I live in South Carolina between Columbia SC and Charlotte NC. It sure freezes here. My yard goes dormant around the start of Nov. until the middle of March.

RussellB
09-10-2011, 05:40 PM
All of the lawns I mow on the coast go dormant during the winter months.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
09-10-2011, 06:52 PM
If you throw fertilze at it say 150lbs of 32-0-0 with iron and let it get taller (4")would it not stay green there????? we keep bermuda green all year here why not there???? its warmer ?? We just did a fert and will do it again in late October. also you may try to dye it if its just the green your looking for. if not why not?

Patriot Services
09-10-2011, 08:18 PM
No amount of fertilizer will keep a species of grass from going dormant when it reaches its lower temperature threshold. Overseeding with ANNUAL Rye is about as close as you can get to year round color. :usflag:

RussellB
09-10-2011, 08:22 PM
looks pretty fake tho when all the other properties are dormant.
Posted via Mobile Device

Penncare
09-10-2011, 10:10 PM
I advise installation of turf heaters and you too can have a yard that looks green all winter. Also if I am going to color my grass I use only the best Behr super supreme green and use one sun lamp per 20 square feet to dry it and the good thing is come spring if you get it the right thickness you can peel it off. But If you don't want to go the fantasy route, annual rye over seeding gives the best results typically.