PDA

View Full Version : Painting a trailer

tjlco
09-10-2011, 10:43 AM
One of my trailers is showing its use. Still in great shape but looks like crap. That bugs me to no end. My neighbor has a plotter, so we letter everything ourselves. Was thinking of removing lettering, rivets, trim, fenders, lights, etc..and having it painted.( its an enclosed trailer). Anyone ever attempt this? Just wondering what its gonna cost (ballpark), or if its even worth it

Kelly's Landscaping
09-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Spent several hundred hours last summer restoring my trailers one I had just picked up and there was a ton of fabrication and welding work I had to do. Then of course all 3 got painted its well worth the time if they were built well to begin with. All of mine stay out doors so they have a rough life I guess it depends how comfortable you are with that kind of work. Some guys can rebuild carburetors I cannot but I can build a 10000 gvw trailer from scratch now.

Falcon50EX
09-11-2011, 08:58 PM
One of my trailers is showing its use. Still in great shape but looks like crap. That bugs me to no end. My neighbor has a plotter, so we letter everything ourselves. Was thinking of removing lettering, rivets, trim, fenders, lights, etc..and having it painted.( its an enclosed trailer). Anyone ever attempt this? Just wondering what its gonna cost (ballpark), or if its even worth it

How far is the manufacture maybe let them work it over. If that is not possible then take it to a body shop and ask if you remove and sand every thing get it ready then what would they charge. Remember that aluminum take a special primer and it will need to be etched first.

tjlco
09-11-2011, 09:10 PM
That's a good point too. My neighbor that has a plotter, also has access to that 3m material they use to do the wraps. He was saying get it in white, and wrap the whole trailer, may be cheaper than painting. Idk I'll have to ask around the body shops and see what I come up with
Posted via Mobile Device

Az Gardener
09-12-2011, 12:26 AM
I got my trailer guy to shoot mine for 400 bucks about 18 months ago. We scuffed up it up to prep it and it wont win any awards but it looked 100% better and unless you are within 10 ft and looking closely it looks fine.

I just bought another trailer (used) couldn't swing a new one right now. It is green and was in a bad hail storm we had here about a year ago, which is why it was such a smokin deal ($2,300 for 8.5 x16). From a distance you can't tell but again get up close and it looks like a green golf ball :laugh:

But hey it beats running a crew out of my service call box truck which is what we have been doing for most of the summer.

knox gsl
09-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Why not just cover the whole thing in a printed vinyl wrap. It may not be cheaper than standard paint but will look better and get calls.
Posted via Mobile Device

tjlco
09-12-2011, 04:44 AM
I've never been a big fan of the wrap. My trailers trucks and shirts all have the same exact logo. It's fairly plain, not busy, but I get compliments and calls. I don't know, I guess I have some time to decide, at least I don't have to rush into anything
Posted via Mobile Device