PDA

View Full Version : hot wiring a lawn mower?

themadcutter
09-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I have never had to do this so I wanted to make sure I didn't screw up my starter or battery.

If I just hook the positive terminal straight to the positive terminal on the starter and the ground of the battery to the engine will that just over ride the ignition (key is missing) and turn over the motor?

Restrorob
09-10-2011, 12:52 PM
That will get it to spin but it won't start with the key off, You have to disconnect the kill wire to the engine to get spark. Then if it has a fuel cut-off solenoid it still wont run with the key off.....

themadcutter
09-10-2011, 12:54 PM
That will get it to spin but it won't start with the key off, You have to disconnect the kill wire to the engine to get spark.

Then with no way to shut it down other than re-hooking the kill wire and having no safety switches working can be hazardous.....

I didn't even get it to spin. I hope I don't haave a bad starter.

how do I know which wire is the kill wire.

thanks for the reply.

Restrorob
09-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't know; http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

JDiepstra
09-10-2011, 01:06 PM
I can start my lazer w a screwdriver in the ignition.

themadcutter
09-10-2011, 02:31 PM
I got it. I realized that the kill switch wire was the same as it is on my trimmers. Attached to the coil (duh) I kept trying smaller screw drivers until I got one that fit and turned the ignition but that didn't make the starter move.

I Finally figured out that all the spindles were froze and the belt was stuck to the main pully. I cut off the belt and got it to turn over and then start.

This old riding mower has been sitting outside for years and is pretty rust but it has the same motor as a john deere tractor Some one gave me. the john is in excellent shape except the motor and this motor from the rusty junk on wheels is actually very low hours.

A liitle more work and I have a free john deere l110 that looks real nice. I won't use it but it will probably get me $500 for re sale.