PDA

View Full Version : Gas vent question on exmark xseries

Dawson
09-10-2011, 01:25 PM
I am removing the whole rollbar off my new 60" xseries exmark and it has a "gas vent" with four tubes going up into the rollbar. I assume this is a vent for the gas tank but why four tubes and I see no where in the assembly that any gas's could actually vent from? the four tubes just go up into a apparently sealed plastic housing at the top?

Will I have a problem if I reduce the length of the tubes so that it sticks up just a little above the rollbar mounting bracket? It currently extends all the way to the top of the seat back.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!
Dawson

ricky86
09-10-2011, 01:32 PM
It sounds like the sealed box is a carbon canister. If it is, you can't leave them open, and you really sholdn't mess with it. IMO

Dawson
09-10-2011, 01:37 PM
It sounds like the sealed box is a carbon canister. If it is, you can't leave them open, and you really sholdn't mess with it. IMO

ok, so do you think would it cause any problem to shorten the whole assembly? I'ts really in the way of the engine rain cover I'm making. I have a open trailer and I want to try and keep my efi engine from getting soaked everytime it rains on me.

What does the carbon canister do by the way?

ricky86
09-11-2011, 11:55 AM
If that rops is removed/modified, some dealers might have a problem with it. I would not recommend modifying it. I'm not sure if it is a carbon canister. No numbers supplied. If you shorten them, you might have a fuel splashing problem. Build your cover around it and don't go hacking a new machine. If it is in fact a canister, what it does is store fuel vapors from the system. It purges into the intake tract when the engine runs.