PDA

View Full Version : New to Landscaping

O.C LawnCare
09-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I really need some advice! Right now I'm 14 years old, and I have about 5 lawns that I mow on a weekly basis. I started my business in 2010 and it seems that I'm stuck at the 5 lawn marker and just can't get by it. I see some guys rollin around that are doing tripple what i do in a week, in a day. I'm sorta getting frustrated, I have tried advertising in the local paper, but every time someone calls and I bid the lawn I don't get the job. I am currently running an eXmark 48 inch metro walk behind, and although my stripes may not be as big as the other guys i feel like i should be able to atleast run 15 a week. Any advice on how I can really get moving next year? Thanks!

Total Lawn and Sprinkler
10-18-2011, 01:21 PM
And your 14 years old? Keep at it kid. On a small scale you could try flyers in your neighborhood (as I'm assuming you have no way to get around outside of this area). You can also request that your current client base spread the word. Get yourself a shirt made and wear it while you work for some free publicity.

Good luck!

Landscape Poet
10-18-2011, 04:39 PM
. You can also request that your current client base spread the word.

Good luck!

This is the best advice that anyone will most likely give you over the internet. Start with the 5 you have, go to them instead of us that can not really help you. Tell them that you REALLY need their support.

O.C LawnCare
10-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys, I do have a trailer and my dad drives for me. But this advice really is gonna help! I have made some major improvements too, I now own a 60inch eXmark lazer z and I have two more lawns. Thanks for the advice!

Landscape Poet
10-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys, I do have a trailer and my dad drives for me. But this advice really is gonna help! I have made some major improvements too, I now own a 60inch eXmark lazer z and I have two more lawns. Thanks for the advice!

now you have 7.....get three referrals from each....and you are well on your way

O.C LawnCare
10-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Alright thanks alot!

O.C LawnCare
10-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Wait one more question, I was on another forum and they said some people do a system where if someone refers them and they get the job, they will discount that person (the person who revered them) 20$ should I offer this?

Landscape Poet
10-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Wait one more question, I was on another forum and they said some people do a system where if someone refers them and they get the job, they will discount that person (the person who revered them) 20$ should I offer this?

It is a way to drum up business. Think of it this way. Say on average your new clients bring in $80 a month each and you get six months out of the year where you are cutting and getting this much out each month. That customer is a $640 revenue increase that cost you $20. That is a pretty good return on your investment correct?
Not to mention referrals are the best because they already trust your work, there is already a since of trust there because the referring customer has told them about you. This means that you should be able to ask for a fair price without any worries.
If that new customer also gives you three leads and you land two of them. It cost you $40 to gain $1280 in income. Work with the group of customers you have now - they will be your most effective way of advertising .....just let them KNOW you rely on them...and they will get you where you need to be if you are open and honest with them and do right by them.

O.C LawnCare
10-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks so much!

J.Z.Smith Landscaping
10-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Your doing good kid. More will come with age. That sounds like your biggest problem. I was there once and still have the problem on occasion. I think potential customers worrie about that. Just keep plugging away. You have to prove your self. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

O.C LawnCare
10-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys! Getting shirts made they should be done by next week!

castlelandscapes
10-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Hi, I started my business Long Island Landscaping, Castle Landscapes and i specialize in landscape design & masonry. Check me out www.longislandlandscapingltd.com (http://www.longislandlandscapingltd.com) if you can

captain henry45
11-04-2011, 02:50 AM
It sounds like you have a great start and have the proper motivation. Be sure to keep your business revenue seperate from your personal money, may not seem important now since things are small but do it anyway. Learn the definitions of revenue, working capital, gross and net. Make sure you have a solid understanding of them and how they effect each other. As soon as you are old enough/can afford it, get liability insurance...potential clients will take you alot more seriously. Make alot of flyers, A good way to market yourself in the begining is offer quality work at a discounted rate. Its hard to get 8 lawns when you only have 7 , but real easy to get 26 when you have 22, so dont get discouraged. Good luck!
Liam Peterson P and B Landscaping, Inc.