PDA

View Full Version : Aerators (or however you spell that word)

Swampbeast
11-04-2002, 12:46 AM
Hello all! I am looking to buy a new aerator this spring, what type would you recommend, why would you recommend it, what types would you NOT recommend? Any tips on technique would be more than welcome! Thanks in advance to all that reply!

:cool:

Randy Scott
11-04-2002, 12:59 AM
Actually, that is spelled correct, good for you. To be quite honest, I think it is pothetic when someone in this industry, and trying to make a living at it, can't spell a simple word that they rely on making money from, it's a joke.

Anyways, to the actual question now. I just purchased a Ryan Lawnaire V. It works pretty good. Everyone here will have their thoughts on models but all will suggest the "core type" for best results. I also have the JRCO hooker aerator for my ZTR. Works ok but very limited as to where it can be used.

KLMlawn
11-04-2002, 01:09 AM
The best type of aerator is a "core" aerator. Wether it be a walkbehind, towbehind, or front mount. The JRCO "Hooker" aerator is a "spoon" aerator, not a core aerator, so it just lifts small spoonfuls of soil up as opposed to pulling actual plugs and then depositing them on top. It would probably work well on sandier soils, but not loamy or clay soils. If you wanted to look into any type of aerator I would suggest looking at TURFVENT by Feldman. They have both tow behind and front mounts that give a good amount of cores per sq ft and the more cores in one pass the better the result and less times you have to go over it. If you are looking for a walkbehind, I would probably look at the Plugr aerator ... JMHO.

ranger520
11-04-2002, 04:24 AM
http://www.rpm-co.com/prod08.htm

Contact Dave at rpm sales at the above link. He carries the Classen brand and they work great. i have a Ryan lawnaire IV and the thing is murder. I am going to pick myself up a clasen in the spring from Dave. His handle is capt devo here on lawnsite. The link above should take you to his page with the classens. Dave will save you hundreds and have it shipped to your door. Great guy to deal with.

scott

rkbrown
11-04-2002, 10:13 AM
Take a look at the Plugr aerators also.

http://www.ims-ipc.com/rocksolid/

They use ***-driven tines. I'm looking forward to getting one for next year. Hoss must be real busy with leaves or is sleeping in this morning. :D He has a couple of plugrs and swears by them.

On edit *** = Kam with a "c". Don't know why the word is bleeped.

Swampbeast
11-04-2002, 10:18 AM
Thank you all. Another question, I have been looking at the Plugr and the Classens, those are the two I have tentatively narrowed it down to. Now which would be the better deal? Which is more reliable?
Here is what I would be using it for, maybe 30-35 yards a year, twice each. (most of my customers dont care enough about thier lawn to pay the extra $$ required for this)
Another question, how would you charge for this? Three times what I charge to mow the same yard? Per square foot?
thanks again!

Thanks for the link by the way....

Green Pastures
11-04-2002, 12:15 PM
I bought a Classen 26" with a Honda 5.5 ?? this fall. I like it alot, nice to be able to steer it around.

65hoss
11-04-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by rkbrown
Take a look at the Plugr aerators also.

http://www.ims-ipc.com/rocksolid/

They use ***-driven tines. I'm looking forward to getting one for next year. Hoss must be real busy with leaves or is sleeping in this morning. :D He has a couple of plugrs and swears by them.

Real busy is an understatement lately. We've been bombarded!:dizzy:
We've put a lot of hours on the plugrs and they have done an excellent job.

Envy Lawn Service
11-04-2002, 08:10 PM
How much does the PLUGR cost?

How does it react when the tine hits real hard soil?

I still use a pull behind.

AltaLawnCare
11-05-2002, 10:02 AM
I have a 3 pt hitch ryan I use with the Kioti. But I still have to use a walk behind for tite spots. I've used a Ryan LAwnaire, it does a great job, but will work you to death.

Both the core aerators have to be used when the soil is damp and soft, here in this clay type soil.

About 3 times the price of mowing is a good place to start, but there are many factors that will affect the time it takes, terrain, and the hardness of the soil. I always go over a lawn a least 4 times, changing directions.

I try to price it now with fertilizing, overseeding, or liming. If I figure 4 cents per SqFt to overseed with aerating, I can subtract out the amount for the seed, and ather materials, and the time and get a "cent per foot" price to aerate, I think this is better.

I got some infoon the "plugger", looks like a great set up, I believe the prices were 2500- 2600.00.

Another great piece of equipment is the aeravator. I will chew up rock hard clay type soil. I've read posts by members who love them.
;)

Swampbeast
11-05-2002, 10:56 AM
Down where I live, the first 1/2 inch is soft loamy clay, and then really sandy soil to about 8 inches to a foot deep, then it turns into rock hard clay. So I should use the core type?
You go over it four times in different directions? Okay, have to remember that.
Thanks again everyone!

Old Hippy
11-05-2002, 11:46 AM
Swampbeast Aerators is spelled correct and there are lots of them out there. Most have had the same design for 25 plus years and are tough to operate. I ran the new Turfco TurnAer this past fall and it is neat! Drives like a mid size mower and has a spring lift. No more lifting you just go round and round till you are done. They will have it at the GIE Show in Nashville next week Nov. 14 to 16 or go to Turfco.com. I have two Turfco Aerators a 20 and 26 inch machines with lots of time on them and they keep on going but I am looking for the easier machine to operate and it is the new turfco.

Swampbeast
11-05-2002, 12:18 PM
Does anyone know how much the 26 inch Classens aerator would weigh? I know the Plugr is only about 80 pounds or so.

bruces
11-05-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Swampbeast
Does anyone know how much the 26 inch Classens aerator would weigh? I know the Plugr is only about 80 pounds or so.

The PLUGR 600 is about 275 lbs. I don't know how much the Clasen weights, but I would guess it to be similar.

65hoss
11-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Swampbeast

Plugr 80 lbs?? Try 225 lbs as shipping weight according to my owners manual I just looked at.

MCGRAIL LAWN
11-05-2002, 03:22 PM
The best aerator to buy is the Ryan LA 24 or the new Billy Goat Eazyair.

the LA24 is around $5,000.00
the Eazyair is around $2,000.00

For the best information about aeartors TALK TO YOUR LOCAL DEALER.:blob2:

Kent Lawns
11-05-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by MCGRAIL LAWN
The best aerator to buy is the Ryan LA 24

For the best information about aeartors TALK TO YOUR LOCAL DEALER.:blob2:

Your dealer better be talking at those prices!

It's actually a LA 28 and the price is around $3700.00

And exactly WHY is a LA 28 better than a Plugr?

65hoss
11-05-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by MCGRAIL LAWN
The best aerator to buy is the Ryan LA 24 or the new Billy Goat Eazyair.

the Eazyair is around $2,000.00

For the best information about aeartors TALK TO YOUR LOCAL DEALER.:blob2: hahahahahahahaha:rolleyes:

Best info from dealers? That's pretty good. Most dealers don't have a clue as to why they sale anything. Its the money only. Most don't have a clue about the lawn maintenance biz. They don't understand aeration, nor have they ever done it except maybe a test on their property. They know we might be looking for them, so they will sell them to us. :nono: :nono:

Swampbeast
11-05-2002, 07:56 PM
Er what? Plugrs weigh that much? Oh. I must have read that wrong.....oops! Going crazy...:dizzy:

Anyways, wieght isnt really an issue, since I can just drive it up the ramp, I was really just curious about that.
I am seriously thinking of getting the Plugr, unless someone here can convince me otherwise, I think I will get one in the spring. Hmmmm.

Thanks all!

Scotlawncare
11-05-2002, 10:03 PM
swampbeast,

You will not be disapointed with the plugr. If you plan on Going to GIE in Nashville, check all of them out before you buy. My money says you will still get a plugr.

Scot

Old Hippy
11-06-2002, 10:35 AM
If you have questions about aerators just call 800-679-8201 at Turfco and tell them you have questions about aerators and you want the old guy to call you to answer your questions. They will either answer then then or have someone call you back that knows and has a lot of experience.

Strawbridge Lawn
11-06-2002, 10:46 AM
I have owned a Honda powered Plugr for 15 months now and used it through 2 fall seasons. Machine has worked really well for me. I have had to replace the belts and the tines (80 hours?). Figure that expense to be about 45-60 bucks annually depending on use, and it really depends on the soil condition. Machine is difficult to use on hilly terrain because the angled cams/tines are the propelling mechanism for the machine. You aerate mud, amd you will stop and sink. If I had lots of hills I would avoid this machine, but pretty flat here. I am 5FT and 105 lbs and when the soil is moist it is effortless to use. Little tougher in tight turns.
I use a 48" Tow Turf Vent for larger areas.

Gary
Strawbridge Lawn
& Landscape

Old Hippy
11-06-2002, 10:57 AM
Sounds like time for a lesson in Aerators. I go back to the Ryan
L-15 anyone know what it is? It weighed 650 pounds had 4 rows of tines and went where ever it wanted to. Could kill a big guy in 30 minutes but it would poke holes in dirt.

Aertors that use piston action or kams are great in soft soil but in hard they get beat up because the unit still wants to poke holes in the dirt. Use em in hard dry an expect short service life and breakdowns. Piston types do pull the best cores. If cores are what you want. But for better aertion look at the rolling aerators.

Rolling aerators in soft soil will go the same depth as pistion types and pull a nice core. Remember the homeowner is buying cores. When he gets home he wants to see cores (most of the time, some do not) Now the rolling aerators will do what we call and X action under the soil as well as pull a core. The tine enters moving one direction (say from the right) the unit rolls over moving left and the tine exits going left. This movement of the tine from right to left rips the soil under the growth area where you cannot see it and causes what we call shattering of the soil. this action does much more to loosen the soil than a straight in and out action and still pulls a nice core in soft ground.

If you have questions on aeration I will be glad to help, that is what i do and i do it for free. write me at oldhippybb@aol.com

MWS LAWN
11-16-2002, 02:50 PM
Hey Billy,

Do I say congrats on passing your commercial applicators test and obtaining your commercial pesticides license? I was just inspected last week for my annual inspection so you should be somewhere on the list. The inspection was pretty strict but you should be o.k. Good Luck in this Business.

MW SHELTON LAWNCARE

Lawn Sharks
11-16-2002, 05:22 PM
So, how much does the PL 600 Plugr cost? Can't seem to find a price anywhere. Ballpark figure is fine to determine if it is cost effective for my operation.

Thanks
Keth

lbmd1
11-16-2002, 09:04 PM
Keth,
I just paid $3000 for the Plugr PL600 with the Honda engine shipped to my dealer. I think earlier in the year they were offering a discount, but only if you didn't have a distributor near you. I was told you could drink a coffee in one hand while aerating the lawn with this machine. They were right. On an average lawn of good quality, it drives and pulls plugs easily without the hassle of being beat up like normal drum type aerators. Before getting one, I would never seek out aerations because of the physical demand they put on you doing 10 in a day. But after 65Hoss's constant testamonials and a talk to Dominic Carlos from Four Seasons Lawn Aerations in Ca., I decided to go with a *** driven machine. Anyone who has used one would never go back to drum types. I now advertise heavily for aeration work due to the machines performance in pulling incredible plugs with such ease of use. It's about as easy to use than a regular 21" self propelled. It does lack weakness in climbing hills, but my machine might not have been set up right from my dealer.

Mike

Lawn Sharks
11-16-2002, 11:05 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the details. Your report confirms what I have heard from others. I am a small op and am considering offering aeration to my clients next year. Your opinion is valuable and I will make a decision soon.

Thanks again!

Keth

AltaLawnCare
11-18-2002, 09:03 AM
MWS Lawn,

Thanks for the heads up, Mike. I hadn't sit for it yet, I still need to take teh final for a turfgrass management class I took, and I'm still studying hard for that..
After that, in December or January I will take the exam.
I hadn't needed to do any apps this year anyway.

Casey
11-18-2002, 09:16 PM
how do the slit type of machine compare with the plug type. I have noticed that some companies are offering a machine that they are descibing as a dethatcher, slit areator, overseeder combo