PDA

View Full Version : Wire nut grease capsules

muddywater
09-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Anybody got an online hook-up for these grease capsules? They have got to be cheap in large quantities some where. Cheapest I can find is .65 a piece.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Anybody got an online hook-up for these grease capsules? They have got to be cheap in large quantities some where. Cheapest I can find is .65 a piece.

Seems to me this would be the one thing that you would not want to cheap out on! We just buy ours from Ewing.

muddywater
09-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Seems to me this would be the one thing that you would not want to cheap out on! We just buy ours from Ewing.

How much do you pay at Ewing?

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-11-2011, 06:59 PM
What brand and model number? There are about a dozen different waterproof splices on the market!

muddywater
09-11-2011, 07:11 PM
What brand and model number? There are about a dozen different waterproof splices on the market!

Something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-Sprinkler-System-Waterproof-Grease/dp/B0040QWMOM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315782547&sr=8-1

This is the sort of thing you get f#$%ed on by John Deere and Ewing. I am sure there is an online wholesaler somewhere that would sell these things in quantities very cheap.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-11-2011, 07:14 PM
If you buy a case of 100 packs (2 splices per pack) from Ewing you can get them for $1.00 per pack. So that's essentially $.50 per splice. And that's for the good 3M DBY splices. Not some cheap $hit Orbit stuff that's made in China.

http://www.ewing1.com/product/p17/ews_17000285.htm

muddywater
09-11-2011, 07:24 PM
If you buy a case of 100 packs (2 splices per pack) from Ewing you can get them for $1.00 per pack. So that's essentially $.50 per splice. And that's for the good 3M DBY splices. Not some cheap $hit Orbit stuff that's made in China.

http://www.ewing1.com/product/p17/ews_17000285.htm

You would think a huge electrical wholesaler would have a deal on these. I have googled for about an hour and really have not come up with anything. .50 isn't a bad price.

Mike Leary
09-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Given how crappy solenoids are these days, I'll use the King "Blues" for valve boxes and DBYs for permanent connections.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Given how crappy solenoids are these days, I'll use the King "Blues" for valve boxes and DBYs for permanent connections.

My only issue with the King wire nuts is that I've found too many of them on jobs that have pulled apart. I like something like the DBR or the Spears Dri-Splice
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
09-11-2011, 07:32 PM

I am about to give up on King blacks and blues. I was looking at some blues yesterday and they were dried up and already corroding. I think they were replaced a year or two ago... max 5 years.

We just finished repair work at really well designed and installed commercial system(brass rb valves) and those dby connections were in the same condition as when they were put in 20 years ago.

I am thinking about switching to all dbys if I can get the price to where it needs to be.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-11-2011, 07:39 PM
I am about to give up on King blacks and blues. I was looking at some blues yesterday and they were dried up and already corroding. I think they were replaced a year or two ago... max 5 years.

We just finished repair work at really well designed and installed commercial system(brass rb valves) and those dby connections were in the same condition as when they were put in 20 years ago.

I am thinking about switching to all dbys if I can get the price to where it needs to be.

OK.... you're approaching this all wrong if the quality is the issue. Wouldn't you expect to pay a little more for a superior product that won't cause you issues down the road? We're talking $.39 difference between a DBY and a King Blk/Blu connector. Even if you had a job with 100 splices on it you're only talking a $39 difference. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Mike Leary
09-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Don't give up on them, the newer ones have a better sealant and can be re-used.

muddywater
09-11-2011, 07:46 PM
OK.... you're approaching this all wrong if the quality is the issue. Wouldn't you expect to pay a little more for a superior product that won't cause you issues down the road? We're talking $.39 difference between a DBY and a King Blk/Blu connector. Even if you had a job with 100 splices on it you're only talking a $39 difference. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I know but every time I try to up my quality my material price goes up... and it seems I get outbid. I need to win bids every once in a while!!

I went through a kick, where I would only install I-20s.... but people aren't willing to pay the difference. So back to 5000s.

So I am trying to think out of the box a little... where can I get these capsules in large quantities for cheap.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I know but every time I try to up my quality my material price goes up... and it seems I get outbid. I need to win bids every once in a while!!

I went through a kick, where I would only install I-20s.... but people aren't willing to pay the difference. So back to 5000s.

So I am trying to think out of the box a little... where can I get these capsules in large quantities for cheap.

I'm not so sure that materials are what loose bids. I think it's operational inefficiencies and out of control overhead. At least from my experience. You can always pit vendors against each other and put the project out to quote and save some money of materials that way (If that's how you like to roll, we don't ). Not to make assumptions but look at your operation and how you do things and I bet you can find a couple of things that you can do cheaper.

Mike Leary
09-11-2011, 07:52 PM
I would only install I-20s.... but people aren't willing to pay the difference. So back to 5000s.

I'd never checked, is there that much difference in the price? They are both premium heads. I like both of them in the stainless versions a lot. :clapping:

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Nothing works better than Toro screens and the old spears tube of blue glob.

muddywater
09-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm not so sure that materials are what loose bids. I think it's operational inefficiencies and out of control overhead. At least from my experience. You can always pit vendors against each other and put the project out to quote and save some money of materials that way (If that's how you like to roll, we don't ). Not to make assumptions but look at your operation and how you do things and I bet you can find a couple of things that you can do cheaper.

I would love to have someone come audit my installation techniques, but I really feel like we are as efficient as possible. I think we install as fast or faster than most other local companies.

I am happy with my supplier right now. There service is important to me. But I may need to do a price check, and then get my existing supplier to match whatever I get from competitor. Not a bad idea!

Material cost just keep creeping up and a few dollars makes a difference at the end of the material list. We use just Rainbird ESP modular clocks now... no matter if it is just 2-3 zones. We just like the quality. I use PGA valves, because I like the quality. I use primarily mp rotators for sprays because I feel like I can stretch zones and I have the capability to get out to 30'. I install a rain sensor on every install, because I think it is necessary.

At the end of the parts list, sometime I am thinking damn!

muddywater
09-11-2011, 09:18 PM
I'd never checked, is there that much difference in the price? They are both premium heads. I like both of them in the stainless versions a lot. :clapping:

The price difference for me on a 5000 to a plastic i-20 is about $4. and from plastic 5000 to stainless about $9 more.

I gave up on the pgp, at least with rainbird I have heard of a local contractor getting re-imbursed for labor on warranty replacements. And hell its a dollar cheaper. If your going to use this plastic crap... it might as well be the cheapest.

Kiril
09-11-2011, 09:19 PM

I use 3M Scotchlok's (3161R) and DBY/R for commons when necessary ... all wrapped with electrical tape.

muddywater
09-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Why the hell can I not find a bucket of these on ebay?

Michdeere
09-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I've had GREAT luck with Northstar Industries. I think I payed $.39 each this spring. Great product.

muddywater
09-11-2011, 09:31 PM
I've had GREAT luck with Northstar Industries. I think I payed $.39 each this spring. Great product.

Where can I find those?

Mike Leary
09-11-2011, 11:24 PM

"Great luck" for how long? :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
09-11-2011, 11:30 PM
If you're going to go cheap, use a 3-cent wire nut and pot the connection.

Michdeere
09-11-2011, 11:43 PM
"Great luck" for how long? :dizzy:

I started using them 8 years ago. Just recently changed out a couple of solenoids and the caps were still as "lubed" as the day I installed them. I keep a box of latex gloves on the truck for dealing with these things.

Michdeere
09-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Where can I find those?

I'll pull the invoice from my order tomorrow and post the contact info for you.

Sprinkus
09-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Nothing works better than Toro screens and the old spears tube of blue glob.

The truth comes out!
Actually I don't remember ever having to repair any of those, I just had to remove them when I replaced the faulty solenoid.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-12-2011, 08:35 AM
I do take credit for coming up with that in a pinch. I didn't expect it to spread like wildfire through the TX irrigation community. Should have patent it. The screens were free. Orange wire nuts are cheap. The glob held up really well and you could tell the screen was full when the glob came out the pores.

mind you I was doing this back when a lot were still using electrical tape.

AI Inc
09-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Where can I find those?

http://www.sprinklerparts.com/main.htm

This dudes name is Jeff. He fills them himself in KY USA

Sprinkus
09-12-2011, 08:17 PM
I've been using the TUC splices here recently. I like them better than the Wade ones.

muddywater
09-12-2011, 10:02 PM
http://www.sprinklerparts.com/main.htm

This dudes name is Jeff. He fills them himself in KY USA

how much are they? didn't see a price on the site.

AI Inc
09-13-2011, 05:39 AM
40 cents each in bulk