PDA

View Full Version : Gravely 72" ZTR

EquipNut
11-04-2002, 10:23 AM
I have a chance to purchase a 2001 Gravely 260z with a 25hp Kohler Command, 150 clock hours, and 72" deck for $7500. I priced these new at $8400-$9300 at several different dealers. This unit looks like new and appears to have been very well kept. Just a few small scratches on the sides of the deck. It is privately owned and used to cut approximately 5 acres by a homeowner who wants to purchase a groundskeeper(?). Any guidance on the price, or regrets would be appreciated. Thanks.

Albemarle Lawn
11-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Mine is a 2000 72" deck and 25 HP Kohler.

Do you really need a 72"? I have run both the 60" and 72" Gravelys, and you will get a much better looking cut on bumpy yards with the 60" My 72 only runs 2 days a week, when we do big yards. Most of the time it lounges in the garage.

At 150 hours the machine you are looking at buying is still a baby, BUT

I would go buy a new one for $8400 and not the used one for $7500.

Here's why:

THE WARRANTY!

The Gravely warranty is great -2 years- BUT and this is a big one....THE WARRANTY ONLY APPLIES TO THE ORIGINAL OWNER.

And, if you bought new, you could spec a more powerful engine. I have felt many times that I needed more power, especially in thick grass or going uphill. Get the Kawasaki or Kohler 26EFI or 28EFI if it is offered.

BTW if you are interested I have a 60" Gravely 260Z 2001 model with 120 hours, bought at end of 2001, 25HP kawasaki, will sell for $5800 delivered to you. Have upgraded to 6-ply tires because the original Gravely tires have weak sidewalls. It is pictured on the truck below. (its the one up front). More pics available if you are interested.

I would also sell my 2000 72" 25 HP Kohler. $5000, it has 480 hours and is in good condition. Or a 1999 Gravely 260Z 60" 25HP Kohler for $3500. It has 890 hours. All of my stuff is garaged indoors.

I have 3 Gravely 260Z machines and they are awesome. I love the hydraulic deck lift. The decks are very efficient and cut well. They have been mostly trouble free except once on my 72" a hydro went out but it was under warranty (would cost about $500-$700 out of warranty).

I would sell because I am ready to switch to diesel mowers. I switched to a diesel truck and I'll never buy another gasser! I have a diesel tank at the house, but regs won't let us store gas, so diesel everything is the way to go.

BTW: What is the sales tax in New York? That's where you really save buying used. If you are at 4% then on a $8500 machine new you will pay $340 sales tax, pushing you near $9K.

Ken

Gravely_Man
11-04-2002, 11:25 AM
I have driven this mower and loved it but….I agree with Albemarle Lawn on the warranty. I would go with a new one for a little more. Great mower but more power is always better.

Gravely_Man

Mowingman
11-04-2002, 12:05 PM
If you are doing any heavy mowing, I do not think you will be happy with the Kohler 25HP on that 72" deck. Heck, in heavy conditions, the 25HP is just barely enough for my 60" machines. I have a 72", but it is a Grasshopper midmount with a 28HP diesel.
You really need more engine for that 72" deck.:)

EquipNut
11-05-2002, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the fast replies. I do believe that I need a 72", as I used a neighbors Scag with a 61" deck and felt that it took too long (3hrs) to mow my 6.4 acres of lawn. Also, I had much difficulty raising, and lowering the deck because I am disabled. I did demo a Gravely from our county fair and liked the Hyd. lift on the deck, and the ride was also comfortable with the adjustable seat. Power seemed to be enough as we don't let the grass get too long, and it also was a 25hp Kohler, took just a little more than 2 hours.

I appreciate the offers to buy the Gravely machines you are selling but being disabled I wouldn't be comfortable with the prospect of having to fix a machine. All of my service is taken care of by a small engine shop that comes to my home because of my disability which makes me think that buying new may be a better way to go for me. I just happened to see this machine on the side of the road, it was in like new condition so I asked how much. The price seemed good compared to the cost of new but I needed some professional advice before spending that kind of money.

Btw, the Sales Tax in NY is 8% so I guess I'll be paying $650 - $700 for the tax. Anyway thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Albemarle Lawn
11-06-2002, 01:12 AM
Your dealer will be much more responsive (generally speaking) if you bought the machine from them!