PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on type of seed for warehouse

Barkleymut
11-04-2002, 03:25 PM
A customer of mine called me today to have his warehouse seeded. The property is over 2 acres and has red clay soil which tends to have erosion problems. The property is slightly sloped with a couple of large hills in the corners. He only wants it mowed 3 or 4 times a year and I don't have a tractor so I want something that I can cut with my 60' Chopper. They don't care if it is a weed seed such as Lespedeza just as long as it holds the soil in place. The warehouse is about 1 year old and the contractor seeded with rye/fescue in the spring but most of it fried this summer and did not come back with the recent rains.

Should I wait until summer to seed with lespedeza? Is there anything that will germinate now that the night temps are in the 30's and 40's? We will undoubtely get a one week warm spell where rye and maybe fescue would germinate but the last thing I want to do is mow a very overgrown property. Should I seed with annual rye now and wait till summer to seed with lespedeza? Also no soil prep will be done so something that germinates quick would be best. Thanks.

geogunn
11-04-2002, 03:31 PM
barkleym--how are you gonna mow two foot tall lespedeza with that chopper?

throw the kentucky 31 to it with some mulch and starter and get ready to sharpen blades for next spring.

GEO

Barkleymut
11-04-2002, 08:34 PM
Geo- in my experience lespedeza doesn't grow tall at all. It's what the state uses around here for roadsides.

Any other suggestions?