PDA

View Full Version : How did you get started?

Hoss4x4
09-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Two questions. How did you get started? Did you leave corporate life to pursue this?

JB1
09-14-2011, 05:53 PM
a guy told me if i was gonna hang around his business hitting on the help to go and mow the grass, its all history from there.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
09-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Left the corporate world and never looked back.!
Posted via Mobile Device

RussellB
09-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Retired young, got bored and purchased a lawn care company. keeps me fit and busy.
Posted via Mobile Device

TimNNJ
09-14-2011, 10:08 PM
left corporate in 2006..

Hoss4x4
09-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Left the corporate world and never looked back.!
Posted via Mobile Device
How did you do that?

ACA L&L
09-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Worked for a company while i was in college, decided to start a lawn mowing gig on the side of my full time job's as a wal mart loss prevention and furniture reposser...........rent to own......was making a few grand extra a month, another fella went outta bizness, i took over his lawns, quit the other two jobs, advertised a little bit, now im retiring early at the sweet age of 36.......ill take the money from the sale of the bizness and move onto another more lucrative venture. When i find that job ill let ya know how it all worked out.

mlavin73
09-15-2011, 11:03 PM
I held a corporate job for 14 years. When my wife and I got married, we decided to live in the house she bought from her grandparents. Living in the house allowed me to enjoy a 3 hour commute round trip per day. I stuck it out for a year and she talked me into starting my own lawn maintenance company. During those 14 years I had worked part time for friends who owned their own lawn maintenance companies so I figured why not. She had a job with the same company I had worked for so I was able to keep health insurance through her. She works from home so commuting isn't an issue for her. Five years later things are going great with the business. Sometimes I miss the corporate world (bonus every year, 20 paid vacation days, 401K, working in the AC when 100 degrees out, etc). I don't think I would change a thing.

GreenI.A.
09-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally went to a tech school for this, then worked for a number of companies gainning further experience and doing alot of side work on my own. Left all that and worked as a manager for a national distributor for a number of years selling landscape equipment and supplies. Spent alot of time teaching guys how to properly fertilize and such so I started my own DBA and started doing it on the side as a subcontractor for alot of my customers. Had to keep it hidden from my upper management and other customers. Finelly parted mays from them and did my thing full time as an llc and concentrated on growin for myself, and haven't looked back once

ny scaper
09-16-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm still in corporate world and am P/T. However, if I was to move to F/T LCO, I would make d**n sure I had a decent sized customer base first, at least where I am located. There are a ton of LCO's out there ready to pounce.
By decent sized customer base I mean enough work to go F/T and not feel too much of a pinch initially while you build. Overhead and things like that would come into play as well obviously. IE: I would, or as as best I could go into F/T LCO with little or no overhead if possible to counter the lack of work initially. Dont hire help until it absolutely necessary!! I have a buddy, first year as LCO had guys work for him for no reason early in the season as he could do all his work by himself. Almost doen with grass season, I can tell you he aint got anybody working for him now!
If you already have a solid customer base, then more power to you!