PDA

View Full Version : "Well you don't live on Social Security"

elitelawnteam1
09-14-2011, 06:48 PM
I was helping a friend this last weekend (owns a lawn maintenance company) and he was backed up because of some equipment issues, so I gave him a hand. Anyway, we got to this elderly woman's house, which the grass was long and I start cutting, shortly after I start, she comes rushing out saying it doesn't need it and to come out next week. I tried explaining to her that when your grass is 4-5 in. tall, it needs to be cut WEEKLY. And she repeated like about 3 times "Well you don't live on Social Security" I told her she was right, but I didn't say anything afterward.

We finish mowing, and get back into the truck, he told me he wants to drop her cuz she's a PITA, but whenever he starts talking, all she tells him is "Well you don't live on Social Security" What would you do to state your case, but at the same time remain professional and polite?

Forgot to mention she has a brand new buick regal in the driveway.

JB1
09-14-2011, 06:57 PM
i wouldn't try to explain anything, you might have better luck talking to a tree in that situation.

Patriot Services
09-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Catering to that mantra will ensure that you too are on a fixed income.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
09-14-2011, 07:14 PM
what is with the people on this forum who feel they need a reason or a "case" to drop a client.

just drop them. you don't owe them any explanation at all.

most clients that people want to drop should already know the reason.

when i fire a client i just send them a letter stating i can no longer service there property. plain and simple. i don't owe them anything beyond that and neither do you.

tlc1994
09-14-2011, 07:30 PM
i wouldn't try to explain anything, you might have better luck talking to a tree in that situation.

Yep, drop her or plan to deal with more BS.

RussellB
09-14-2011, 07:31 PM
save the stamp. Use Twitter.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
09-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Its funny how generations change. I had a Lawncare business 20 years ago. Most of the widows or old people were very respectful and appricative of what we do.

Twenty years later I find old people with money are very reaapectful and appricative of what we do.

However more and more of the middle class old people tend to be PITAS.

I think what you are seeing is the dominant woman of the late 60s and 70s, and its likley only to get woorse.

All my current customers are great to work for.

Funny sicenero..... Here in Bama last April we had some really bad storms come through. One of my customers (OLDE WIDOW) had som huge Oak trees blown over her driveway. So I spent the day cutting the trees so she could get her car out if she needed to,VOLINTEER WORK. So then a nother OLd wiman customer calls me the same day and says she wants her grass cut. I tell her it be a couple of days, she fires me over the phone. Later on in the year the woman that I cleared her driveway fired me. In 3 years of my current business thats the only 2 customers that fired me.

gene gls
09-14-2011, 08:07 PM
save the stamp. Use Twitter.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would venture to guess that most of us old folks don't use twitter. There are still a lot of old folks that don't have a computer.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Catering to that mantra will ensure that you too are on a fixed income.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly!! I'm sorry if they can't afford me but I'm in this to make a living, not take advantage or anyone, just a fair price. If they can't afford me then I just tell them I'm sorry and let em go. I wished I could tell Georgia power that, after opening up another 400 plus electric bill. Do you think they care if I am on social security. Nope, they shut your power off with no apology.

CLARK LAWN
09-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Its funny how generations change. I had a Lawncare business 20 years ago. Most of the widows or old people were very respectful and appricative of what we do.

Twenty years later I find old people with money are very reaapectful and appricative of what we do.

However more and more of the middle class old people tend to be PITAS.

I think what you are seeing is the dominant woman of the late 60s and 70s, and its likley only to get woorse.

All my current customers are great to work for.

Funny sicenero..... Here in Bama last April we had some really bad storms come through. One of my customers (OLDE WIDOW) had som huge Oak trees blown over her driveway. So I spent the day cutting the trees so she could get her car out if she needed to,VOLINTEER WORK. So then a nother OLd wiman customer calls me the same day and says she wants her grass cut. I tell her it be a couple of days, she fires me over the phone. Later on in the year the woman that I cleared her driveway fired me. In 3 years of my current business thats the only 2 customers that fired me.

ha that reminded me of one a couple years ago. we had a bad wind storm come through, trees down everywhere, some roads closed for days. i got a call from a customer wanting to know why i hadn't mowed his lawn yet, i told him that i can't get into your devolpment yet as there are are trees and lines down and the road is closed. he told me i had until 6pm that day to have his lawn mowed or dont bother to come back. well needless to say i dont have that account any more. and for the record his devolepment didnt get opened for 2-3 more days.

j-ville native
09-14-2011, 10:14 PM
I would cut it every other week like she requested.

BrunoT
09-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Barring some physical or mental defect, if you're retirement age and didn't save for retirement you blew it. You came of age in an era of unparalleled prosperity and opportunity that has never been seen before in history

A 4 year college degree was cheap compared to today, and if you got one the world was your oyster. If you didn't there were plenty of good factory jobs. Unless you're really ancient you were a kid when the great depression was on so you may not have even noticed it. Even a guy who worked at a grocery store as a butcher could support a wife, kid, and have a small house and car back then. There was no globalization or mass-immigration so wages were higher (they have dropped steadily in real terms since 1971). Most families didn't have to have two incomes just to survive. There was no barrier to achievement if you were not a minority.

Payroll taxes you paid into social security were much lower through much of your career till the 80's. Income taxes for low/middle incomes were modest. State taxes were lower. Government was smaller. Healthcare was more limited and cost a lot less. So if you lived through it you won. There wasn't nearly as much to spend money on, period. Your TV was free. You didn't have a cell phone bill. No internet, the idea of eating out routinely was unknown. Your kids probably played in the woods with sticks, rather than with $500 video game systems after calling their friends on their smartphones.

Downsides would be the Korean and Vietnam wars if you wound up on the front lines, but probably over 90% of males never served in country in those wars and of those who did the majority did a couple years in the rear with the gear.

So if you didn't buy enough life insurance for your spouse, drank it up, didn't work steady, decided to retire at 55 and have outlived your savings, or lived a life of leisure while your male spouse worked even after the kids left the home, blame yourself, not the lawn guy trying to make a modest living.

j-ville native
09-14-2011, 10:27 PM
that's pretty ignorant. you don't know her story

elitelawnteam1
09-14-2011, 10:51 PM

I sort of had an idea of what the response was going to be, it just felt really awckward when I didn't reply after she said it.

It makes total sense, typically when I drop a customer, that same week I replace them with a customer with a larger property.

David Haggerty
09-15-2011, 05:57 AM
what is with the people on this forum who feel they need a reason or a "case" to drop a client.

just drop them. you don't owe them any explanation at all.

most clients that people want to drop should already know the reason.

when i fire a client i just send them a letter stating i can no longer service there property. plain and simple. i don't owe them anything beyond that and neither do you.

Exactly! Dont give too much information or they'll use it against you!

I had a tennant I had to evict once. I told her she would have to move. (worse tennant I ever had)
She came back with "Why? Do you want to sleep with me?"

How-in-the-heck can you answer something like that? Wheather I answered YES or NO I'm a dead man!

I kept my mouth shut and she moved without any trouble.

Richard Martin
09-15-2011, 06:08 AM
that's pretty ignorant. you don't know her story

I agree. Not everybody gets the same opportunities in life. As much as it takes will and determination to succeed there are also other factors in play. She is a woman to begin with and there is still a glass ceiling in place for them. It was at a much lower position back when this woman was younger. There is also a certain amount of luck involved and some for some people it just always goes the wrong way. Who knows? She may have had an oppressive husband that believed a woman's place is in the home. It goes on and on.

David Haggerty
09-15-2011, 06:11 AM
, not the lawn guy trying to make a modest living.

Very true. I know I'm not a chairity. If I were a chairitable institution I wouldn't be paying all those taxes!

But not all old people are trying to keep their old lifestyle at the expense of their service providers.

I have an old widow I mow for. Itty bitty lawn...$25. Mowed her for years, never raised the price. (I mean I'm calling this woman old, and I'm 65)
Last time I saw her she said, "David, I need to talk to you about price. For what you do, the price is too low. Next time let's make it $35."

I was thrilled! Not so much for the ten bucks, but for the recognition!

larryinalabama
09-15-2011, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE=David Haggerty;4160635]Very true. I know I'm not a chairity. If I were a chairitable institution I wouldn't be paying all those taxes!

But not all old people are trying to keep their old lifestyle at the expense of their service providers.

I have an old widow I mow for. Itty bitty lawn...$25. Mowed her for years, never raised the price. (I mean I'm calling this woman old, and I'm 65)
Last time I saw her she said, "David, I need to talk to you about price. For what you do, the price is too low. Next time let's make it $35."

I was thrilled! Not so much for the ten bucks, but for the recognition![/QUO

Most old perple are very nice. I have 1 account thats really out of my way and I was wanting to drop it. Over summer I got a check from them ant it was 20$ extra. I never asked them for more money nor did I ever mention about dropping them. They never said a word to me just added 20$ on the mow and contuiue to do so.

On the other hand I had one old lady hire everyweek. The first cut was knee high. I told her I would come back in a week and spray the chain link fince line and other areas. I did that. Then went back to cut again and she fired me.
I later found out she has had 9 lawn guys in the last 2 years

JDiepstra
09-15-2011, 08:34 AM
"if u cant afford a lawn, get an apartment"

nortonlawncare
09-15-2011, 10:26 AM
i'm dropping a whole neighborhood of old people, they have a trailer park full of em, they either never wanna pay or only have enough to pay for part of the service. The ones that don't pay seem to be the ones that complain the most.
These accounts are a waste of my time and money.
Even though these accounts were given to me when i first started i don't feel bad about dropping them, the only thing i hate is the fact that they call me alllll the damn time and want to ramble on about stuff that doesn't even matter then give me the "if you're not here by this time" line

more time to do higher profit lawns

Richard Martin
09-15-2011, 04:30 PM
I had a lady that wanted a price recently. She made it a point of telling me that she was recently unemployed. She had a full 1/4 yard with a fence around most of it. She also had about 200 feet of concrete that hadn't been edged all year. She wanted the house to look nice because she was going to sell it. Her grass hadn't been touched in over a month. I looked at it and gave her a price of $50. She about spazzed out on me. She said that she told me that she was unemployed and couldn't afford to pay me $50 especially since she only gave her previous guy $25. I asked her what happened to her previous guy. She said he just stopped showing up. I said "Imagine that". I then told her that her being unemployed is no concern of mine and she about blew her top. I then looked at her and said "Look lady, 3 years ago when I started out in this area I flyered your house. Did you bother to help me out when I needed it?" She didn't say a word and just walked back into her house.

Pay backs are a *****.

ed2hess
09-15-2011, 05:00 PM
You take this mowing weekly thing way to serious.....just mow it like the customer wants.

CL&T
09-15-2011, 05:48 PM
You take this mowing weekly thing way to serious.....just mow it like the customer wants.

Ever consider that cutting every other week is more work because you have to blow and probably now remove the clippings, take more time, etc? So are you going to do it for the same price?

JB1
09-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Ever consider that cutting every other week is more work because you have to blow and probably now remove the clippings, take more time, etc? So are you going to do it for the same price?

if they don't care what it looks like and want it cut every two weeks thats what I do and don't worry about the grass clumping, I get paid what I want and if they don't care, i sure don't care.

Roger
09-15-2011, 09:39 PM
.... I get paid what I want and if they don't care, i sure don't care.

A recipe for long-term success?

j-ville native
09-15-2011, 09:59 PM
A recipe for long-term success?

keeping a customer and dealing with their bs is much better than dropping a customer, especially when you are trying to build up your business.

nortonlawncare
09-15-2011, 10:20 PM
keeping a customer and dealing with their bs is much better than dropping a customer, especially when you are trying to build up your business.

putting more stress on your machine for cheap money?

larryinalabama
09-15-2011, 10:30 PM
I had a lady that wanted a price recently. She made it a point of telling me that she was recently unemployed. She had a full 1/4 yard with a fence around most of it. She also had about 200 feet of concrete that hadn't been edged all year. She wanted the house to look nice because she was going to sell it. Her grass hadn't been touched in over a month. I looked at it and gave her a price of $50. She about spazzed out on me. She said that she told me that she was unemployed and couldn't afford to pay me $50 especially since she only gave her previous guy $25. I asked her what happened to her previous guy. She said he just stopped showing up. I said "Imagine that". I then told her that her being unemployed is no concern of mine and she about blew her top. I then looked at her and said "Look lady, 3 years ago when I started out in this area I flyered your house. Did you bother to help me out when I needed it?" She didn't say a word and just walked back into her house.

Pay backs are a *****.

Thats funny

elitelawnteam1
09-15-2011, 11:16 PM
j-ville native - I hope you're joking when tell me I should put up with anyones bs. I've dropped customers before, an I can tell you that clients are 100% replaceable. Regardless of the fact that I'm only 17, I refuse to bend over and grab my legs for whatever crap a customers going to give me.

You are the only one who thinks different. Read all the posts.

Richard - That is too damn :laugh:funny:laugh:, I wish I was there!

JB - When you think of it this way... say you are mowing this lady's house who wants you to cut every two weeks for $x, a price you're fine with. But the grass is so damn long, but you don't care your truck is on the street w/ your company name on it, and some neighbors down the street drive by. They pass you and see your truck with your company name and then they see you doing a shitty ass job, without a care in the world. Don't you think they'll remember your name, and judge your service on that job alone? I won't do something that I know I won't be proud to call mine, I'll leave it for someone else

David Haggerty
09-16-2011, 07:14 AM
JB1, Those other guys posting are talking about going two weeks on southern grasses. It's a different story getting 2 weeks behind in the bluegrass belt.
I try to not impose my standards on my customers, but if they get 2 weeks behind in the spring I tell them to call the bush-hog guy.

j-ville native
09-16-2011, 07:32 AM
St Augustine is easy to cut every other week. There is no stress on my equipment. Since most of the every other week customers are too cheap to pay for every week, they are also too cheap to water their lawns and pay for fertilizer. Their lawns are thin, don't grow fast, and are easy to cut. Some of my every week lawns are much harder to cut than my every other week lawns because they are thick, get watered a lot, and receive ample fertilizer. Sometimes I have to double cut areas of my every week lawns.

elitelawnteam1
09-16-2011, 10:14 AM
St Augustine is easy to cut every other week. There is no stress on my equipment. Since most of the every other week customers are too cheap to pay for every week, they are also too cheap to water their lawns and pay for fertilizer. Their lawns are thin, don't grow fast, and are easy to cut. Some of my every week lawns are much harder to cut than my every other week lawns because they are thick, get watered a lot, and receive ample fertilizer. Sometimes I have to double cut areas of my every week lawns.

We don't have St. Augustine, I'm in Northern Illinois. BIG difference

32vld
09-16-2011, 10:15 PM
I had been doing residential snow removal for the past three years. Then this spring I started out doing lawn care this year after a long break from when I was young.

Back then people never asked to have their lawns cut every other week.

I had this old widow that would lie with a straight face to try to get her prices lowered. Told her that I would mow her lawn every other week in the beginning but if it starts to take off it will need to be cut every week.

Well her lawn took off, she said her lawn never looked so good in years. But refused to say her lawn needed to be cut every week but started to complain that more and more grass clippings were being visible when I was done.

Told her that she was letting the lawn grow to tall, and I was going slow with my mowers to help reduce the clippings but I was not going to mow her lawn twice for the price of one cut as long as she chose to stay on a bi weekly schedule.

It's one thing to do the extra time to leave a customer's lawn looking clean when your done when you are being paid to do the right thing and mow every week.

I read posts here how people won't touch a bi weekly customer. How those that do will only charge more to cover the extra time it takes and extra strain placed on the equipment.

Now I can see why when they would give the potential new customer a quote and the new customer wants to be bi weekly they give a 50% increase and say a weekly cut would be $40 a bi weekly $60 because of the extra work in skipping every other week.

Well after my first bi weekly customer, I don't want anymore if they will expect their lawn to look the same as it was done on a weekly schedule.

And as other's have said when people complain that Johnny Lowball or Jose Lowball did it so much cheaper, you have to tell these people where's Johnny now. Gone, not surprised he wasn't making enough money to stay in business with what he was charging. Also if these people loved the quality of Johnny's work they wouldn't of tried somebody new this year.

elitelawnteam1
09-17-2011, 05:02 PM
She was bitching about the fact that we didn't offer a senior discount, and that she's been getting flyers from other companies. I said that I couldn't do that, and she said to come back next week to mow (it had been 2 weeks) so I said I cannot do, that I wish you luck in using someone else from the flyers you got. She asked "what flyers?"

have a Good Day,

left her in a state of shock. sorry lady, I ain't bending over for you again

Patriot Services
09-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Impressive, you have realized early on sometimes you just have to walk away. :usflag:

greendoctor
09-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Very good. Now this PITA can be replaced by someone who values what you do. My answer to that line about SS would be "well, I do not want to end up living on welfare. Good bye."

tlc1994
09-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Nice to hear an old lady complaining about a luxury that her grandkids are never going to have.

justanotherlawnguy
09-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Anyone that makes a salary is on a "fixed income"! Why do you guys constantly deal with these garbage customers who want to tell you how and when to maintain the yard?
Posted via Mobile Device

David Haggerty
09-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Anyone that makes a salary is on a "fixed income"! Why do you guys constantly deal with these garbage customers who want to tell you how and when to maintain the yard?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tiny little market, very few eligible customers, high competition.

But I'll agree, why do people think I would want to make their problems into my problems?
If you can't afford to get your lawn cut don't get your lawn cut. But it's never what they can afford. Really how many people do you know that can afford to smoke? People do what they want to do.

I had a woman tell me to go to a 10 day schedule because she had two kids in college. Things were tight. Well, they could afford a new heater for their swimming pool. The girls drove new cars, and their boyfriends drove Hummers.
She's either incredibly stupid, or she assumes that I am!

yardguy28
09-20-2011, 12:18 AM
some people claim to be tight on cash because they are busy spending there money where they want too.

sure she can afford new vehicles and heater for her pool because thats where she wants to put her money.

things are tight for her. tight because she doesn't have the money for the things that aren't important to her but need to be done, like keeping her property in shape.

i've learned through a few family members and friends that it's all about perspective. to them they are short on cash because they don't have money for EVERYTHING because they are too busy focusing it on one certain area.

my friend is always crying poor. when we go out to eat the price of each dish depends on what he will order. he won't have dessert, even at mcdonalds because he says he can't afford it. go to his house though and he drives nice vehicles, has a huge screen tv. computers in every room of the house, etc. of course he can't afford a more expensive meal or dessert, because he chooses not to, but thats not poor.

it's where your priorities are. apparently this client of yours doesn't have her lawn on her top priorty list but has the pool and vehicles. just like my friend doesn't have nice meals and dessert on his, but he has tv's, computers, vehicles, etc. on his.

MowingMowingMowing
09-20-2011, 12:23 AM
some people claim to be tight on cash because they are busy spending there money where they want too.

sure she can afford new vehicles and heater for her pool because thats where she wants to put her money.

things are tight for her. tight because she doesn't have the money for the things that aren't important to her but need to be done, like keeping her property in shape.

i've learned through a few family members and friends that it's all about perspective. to them they are short on cash because they don't have money for EVERYTHING because they are too busy focusing it on one certain area.

my friend is always crying poor. when we go out to eat the price of each dish depends on what he will order. he won't have dessert, even at mcdonalds because he says he can't afford it. go to his house though and he drives nice vehicles, has a huge screen tv. computers in every room of the house, etc. of course he can't afford a more expensive meal or dessert, because he chooses not to, but thats not poor.

it's where your priorities are. apparently this client of yours doesn't have her lawn on her top priorty list but has the pool and vehicles. just like my friend doesn't have nice meals and dessert on his, but he has tv's, computers, vehicles, etc. on his.

You sir are 1000000% CORRECT.

BPS##
09-20-2011, 05:55 AM
i'm dropping a whole neighborhood of old people, they have a trailer park full of em, they either never wanna pay or only have enough to pay for part of the service. The ones that don't pay seem to be the ones that complain the most.
These accounts are a waste of my time and money.
Even though these accounts were given to me when i first started i don't feel bad about dropping them, the only thing i hate is the fact that they call me alllll the damn time and want to ramble on about stuff that doesn't even matter then give me the "if you're not here by this time" line

more time to do higher profit lawns

I thought it was just me.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one.
I'd like to ask some of these folks why they feel compelled to inform their lawn guy of ALL of their medical history, needs and details.
I've got one client that is certified, thats a fun one..... not.

David Haggerty
09-20-2011, 06:32 AM
it's where your priorities are. apparently this client of yours doesn't have her lawn on her top priorty list but has the pool and vehicles.

The lawn is kept nice enough. I'd have been in plenty of trouble when the lawn started looking bad because of the 10 day schedule in the spring. Just couldn't seem to get it thru to her. The guy who replaced me didn't mow on a 10 day schedule. She has a reputation of going thru service people.
Some people appreciate what we do for them, some don't.

weeze
09-21-2011, 11:00 PM
that's nothing...i have an old lady calls me once a month to cut her yard...says she's on a fixed income and all...but her neighbor says she's rich and has plenty of money....some people are just tight with their money lol...she has centipede so it doesn't get really tall but it gets really thick and after a month there's clippings everywhere....she gets out there and rakes them up after i leave and puts it around her trees....everyone is different i guess...she's never asked me to bag or get the clippings up for her...she just seems to want to get by on the bare minimum.

BPS##
09-22-2011, 08:41 AM
I mowed this year for a customer that belly aches about the price, only wants service every other week because of the cost and both drive NEW cars..... living in a trailerhood.

go figure

Darryl G
09-22-2011, 10:18 AM
I get people telling me all the time that they are on a fixed income. I ask them if they can fix mine for me!

weeze
09-22-2011, 05:44 PM
I get people telling me all the time that they are on a fixed income. I ask them if they can fix mine for me!

lol...that's a good one

Patriot Services
09-22-2011, 05:57 PM
I fixed 3 of them today. Each one 22 days late on payment. Too many months playing payment games. Told each one they can keep their money next month. Trimming the dead weight is a great way to end this summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
09-23-2011, 03:00 PM
for those that have clients who try to get by on a cheaper "plan" with every other week. why don't you just charge more for bi weekly cuts?

they will think twice about having every other week service. i typically charge anywhere from $10 to double the price for every other week service. it all depends on the condition of the lawn and how much extra work i will need to do, to do a quality job.

CL&T
09-23-2011, 04:09 PM
The problem I see is some of you are not making the customer aware of the fact that every other week is more work and you are going to have to charge more than if it were cut weekly. The only time it would make sense to cut every other week is if the customer has a crap lawn or if there are conditions (drought) or it's a time of year when growth is slow. But all the ignorant customer figures is half as many cuts is half as much money. Maybe it would make sense to give all new customers a price sheet where you fill in the prices according to their property. Along with how much you charge for trimming, etc. you would show the price for weekly and every other week so there won't be a discussion.

yardguy28
09-23-2011, 06:53 PM
The problem I see is some of you are not making the customer aware of the fact that every other week is more work and you are going to have to charge more than if it were cut weekly. The only time it would make sense to cut every other week is if the customer has a crap lawn or if there are conditions (drought) or it's a time of year when growth is slow. But all the ignorant customer figures is half as many cuts is half as much money. Maybe it would make sense to give all new customers a price sheet where you fill in the prices according to their property. Along with how much you charge for trimming, etc. you would show the price for weekly and every other week so there won't be a discussion.

exactly why i charge more for bi weekly service.

clients are more than welcome to go to a bi weekly schedule if they'd like, but it's not going to save them much money, if any.

they can either pay me $32 each week for a total of $128 per month or they can pay me $64 every other week for a total of $128 per month.

you tell a client or potential client that and i can tell you right now they'll be going with the weekly route.

elitelawnteam1
09-23-2011, 11:16 PM

No, she knew it, she told me to bag the grass because it was clumping up in her backyard (which was like 2 feet tall) I charged her more, but once again i got the "Well you don't live on Social Security, you can't do everything you want"

fine lady, you stated you can't do everything you want, but that doesn't mean I can't.

Then a few weeks back, she was yapping about her electric mower that has been sitting in the garage for years, and it's soooo much better than "those noisy gas ones" and "it cuts better than yours"

then get off your ass and mow it yourself, I hate it when they give you a life story, and it never ends.

weeze
09-23-2011, 11:58 PM
haha....if you only cut weekly here you would go out of business...most everyone wants bi weekly...very few want weekly....i do charge more for bi weekly or rather i give a discount for weekly...but i don't charge double the price lol....that's kindof extreme...most people just have a limit they are willing to pay...say $100 a month...so that's bi weekly at $50....or you could do weekly at about $40 which would equal $160 and they wouldn't want to pay that much per month....so they settle for bi weekly most of the time....only those that really care about their yard want weekly service...most around here just want to keep it under control so to speak and not let it get out of hand so they go bi weekly.

David Haggerty
09-24-2011, 08:56 AM
....if you only cut weekly here you would go out of business...most everyone wants bi weekly.

Northern grasses-Southern grasses. If you cut every two weeks here you ain't cutting grass, you're making hay!
I have difficulty with plant managers who transfer here from out of state. I had one come running out of the plant saying "You just left here!" I answered "Yeah, it's only been 3 days but it needs it." He looked around and said "Go ahead."
Another day-Another $1,200!
I schedule springtime cutting on a 5 day schedule. And several professsional purchasing agents are comfortable with that. It keeps the lawn looking good.

yardguy28
09-24-2011, 04:21 PM
haha....if you only cut weekly here you would go out of business...most everyone wants bi weekly...very few want weekly....i do charge more for bi weekly or rather i give a discount for weekly...but i don't charge double the price lol....that's kindof extreme...most people just have a limit they are willing to pay...say $100 a month...so that's bi weekly at $50....or you could do weekly at about $40 which would equal $160 and they wouldn't want to pay that much per month....so they settle for bi weekly most of the time....only those that really care about their yard want weekly service...most around here just want to keep it under control so to speak and not let it get out of hand so they go bi weekly.

if the situation is extreme then yes they get charged the extreme double price.

most are charged $10 above a weekly price. but i have a few that have been told the bi weekly price would be double the weekly price. needless to say they have me come on a weekly basis.

elitelawnteam1
10-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Update:

Her grass/jungle is now 2 feet tall. I'm just waiting for a neighbor to call the village about it, and no doubt she will attempt to call me again.

easy-lift guy
10-09-2011, 08:14 AM
It would be impossible to maintain a lawn on a biweekly basis here in SW Florida. For myself I never have or would offer service for lawn maintenance on a biweekly rotation.
Tom it's sound like your client just likes to complain and it is your choice to put up with it or let someone else have her business. Some clients are harder to deal with than others and some need to be left alone.
easy-lift guy