PDA

View Full Version : 1rst leaf cleanup

David Shaw
11-04-2002, 08:07 PM
Did my first leaf cleanup with my Walker today. It did a great job, except the GHS did plug up on me a couple of times. Leaves are really running late here. :D

mdb landscaping
11-04-2002, 08:44 PM
leaves are way behind here too. i wont be able to start first round cleanups till late this week or early next week. they are at least two weeks behind.

Mowing Freak
11-04-2002, 09:43 PM
I use a Walker GHS as one of my mowers for my business. I had the same problem. What I found is, pick up leaves when they are not real wet and go slow into piles that are thick with leaves. I've found that gator blades don't work that good for me as they don't help create enough airflow to pick up leaves cleanly on the first pass. Hope this helps!

MOW ED
11-05-2002, 06:38 AM
When the leaves are moist of wet you have to slow down but more importantly, you have to keep the screen in the hopper clean. I carry a wire brush. The air flow has to be thru the screen and out the back for the vacuum to properly work. You will find much less clogging problems if you brush the screen off as it gets gummed up.Good Luck. I wouldn't be without my Walker.

GarPA
11-05-2002, 06:45 AM
MOW ED ...well thank you for that tip....stupid me did not know the importance of keeping the screen clean...dahhh

David Shaw
11-05-2002, 07:17 AM
Yeah I never even thought about that screen. The leaves in the front were kinda wet. I dumped 3 or 4 times in a relatively small front yard. Thanks for the tips. Oh I'm running raptor blades, not sure just yet if they work that great. Dave

LB Landscaping
11-05-2002, 12:01 PM
I didn't realize how much the screen played into the GHS until I took it out and cleaned it. I cleaned it regularly but didn;t take it out to see what was caked on where I couldn't see. I cleaned it off and it works mint. Keep it clear.

musselman
11-05-2002, 01:32 PM
one other thing Ive learned while cleaning leaves is soon as that full alarm goes off, go dump...sometimes ill go just a few extra feet to finish a pass and in thick leaves thats all it takes ill be plugged up....I did a small job for a new leaf account last night...Gave the price at $40..very small yard the whole clean-up took 20 minutes...she kinda frowned at the price untill I was finished she couldnt beleve how well the walker cleaned her yard, told me she wanted me to mow next year. go slow through the thick leaves and listen to the mower...you will learn to tell if your starting to get plugged-up by the sound of the mower. just my ............... .02 worth

Gravely_Man
11-05-2002, 01:36 PM
This post is really making me start to question my choice of mowers. I will have to check a walker out in action.

Gravely_Man

David Shaw
11-05-2002, 04:14 PM
I went fairly slow in the front. First pass with front of deck raised a little and next with it down. Dumped as soon as I heard the beeper go off. The back was pretty light. Took me two hours between mowing and using the shred and vac on flower beds. I told the lady $75.00 and she thought that a little high. But she was happy when I was done. Said she might call me in the spring. What do you think was I high or low. Dave

Mowing Freak
11-05-2002, 07:49 PM
Price depends on size of yard, amount of leaves and what you have to do with them. I can dispose of them for free and I have found they work better than straw for garden mulch. I kind of look at it as if I were going to mow the lawn but haven't made much money at bagging but this is only my second season of mowing and demand in my area isn't high for leaf pickup. Also, look at travel time and if you have to dump your truck more than once per yard and how far away you have to dump. You can and will spend more time picking up leaves than mowing so price accordingly. You also have the ammo of telling your customer that you have $10, $20, $30,000 (or whatever) dollors worth of equipment that you have to pay for. I had a customer turn me down as I was too high on price but I smiled, was real nice to her, and said if anything changes to give me a call. About 1wk later I was on her lawn picking up leaves. Hope this helps!

cantoo
11-05-2002, 07:54 PM
We did 5 lawns today, everyone thought we were high until we were done,then they were real happy. Only one guy said boy that didn't take long,,, with all that equipment you have. He stood at the kitchen window and watched me at the sucker and my wife running the Walker. I reminded him that we still had to unload the trailer yet. My wife did one job the on Monday and we have had 7 jobs from it so far.
The screen is a very important part of your collection system, I don't think the Dealer explains it enough. When it is dry we leave the screen out, it reduces the volume quite abit. We also leave the screen out when the leaves are really dry, the few pieces that blow out are gone but more important is it reduces clogging. Just so you know if you don't clog it you are driving too slow and not making as much money as you can.

Mowing Freak
11-05-2002, 07:55 PM
sd