PDA

View Full Version : Aeration

lawnservicefreak22
09-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Well its gettin close to that time of year again, fall clean ups, aeration and over seeding. I have never done aeration and I would like to get into it this year. Im in the mid-west, STL, and was wondering when you guys normally are out doing this. Im mainly worried about the aeration right now, not so much over seeding even though you do those together. Thanks

David Haggerty
09-15-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm done aerating for the year! The opportunity to aerate is pretty small some years. Last year the ground was so hard I missed it completely! So when I got some rain early September I was on it!
yesterday I spread 18 bags of 6-26-26 fall fertilizer. I've never overseeded. Isn't that for southern grasses?
I've seen lawns that were overseeded with bluegrass. It had about a billion grass plants with each one having two little skinny blades. I generally just weed & feed and the bluegrass will take over. But bluegrass is the indigenous ground cover here.

SGPMI
09-16-2011, 05:00 AM
does anyone have a document on aeration

lawnservicefreak22
09-17-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm done aerating for the year! The opportunity to aerate is pretty small some years. Last year the ground was so hard I missed it completely! So when I got some rain early September I was on it!
yesterday I spread 18 bags of 6-26-26 fall fertilizer. I've never overseeded. Isn't that for southern grasses?
I've seen lawns that were overseeded with bluegrass. It had about a billion grass plants with each one having two little skinny blades. I generally just weed & feed and the bluegrass will take over. But bluegrass is the indigenous ground cover here.

Ok thanks, are you charging 3-4x the mowing rate?

David Haggerty
09-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Ok thanks, are you charging 3-4x the mowing rate?

Yeah, that sounds about right. Including the fertilizer application.

lawnservicefreak22
09-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Yeah, that sounds about right. Including the fertilizer application.

Ok sounds good. Im finally getting some rain now so I will be gettin to it sometime soon. Thanks for the help.