PDA

View Full Version : Always 'wet' french drain

rawtoxic
09-15-2011, 10:07 AM
I have been asked to bid a french drain to fix an interesting problem.

A guy has a ditch he wants me to install a french drain under the ditch but there is a spring that runs year around in the drainage so this isn't just any ditch it's almost a small creek that happens to be directly adjacent to his driveway flow is around 1-2GPM. What happens is the spring ices up and runs over the road in the Winter and he has been jackhammering ice for the past two years. He thinks by installing a french drain and keeping the water more insulated by being in the ground it will not freeze up. This is on a North facing slope at 7500' in foothills outside Denver. I am unsure this will work but he seems more than eager to hire me to install it. I am a minimum going to run some old wire through my pipe so he can fish some heat tape through later if it does not work but I feel bad even doing it if it will be a failure. If it were only a temporary spring or only during melting periods I would go running from this project. But since the water is always running the homeowner thinks it will keep it open all winter. I have no experience with this - any advice? We could do some culvert installations and I think they would fix it but could would be triple in price and we must cross the buried elect and gas lines!

Kiril
09-15-2011, 10:37 AM
My opinion, anything short of a culvert is a waste of money and won't work.

PatriotLandscape
09-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Stay away without proper engineering he will never be happy and you will have an angry customer.

See if he will pay for an engineer.
Posted via Mobile Device