PDA

View Full Version : Pergola question?

scagrider22
09-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Last month I built a patio with a pergola above it. The 6"x6" posts are sitting on a concrete footer 36" below the patio. The seat walls are also on a concrete footer so I filled the holes with stone up to the seat wall footer, then I have 5" of concrete under the columns and wall.

My question is what are you guys doing with the void around the posts inside the columns? Do you leave the void or fill it with sand? If I push the posts hard they barely move but do have some give.

FoghornLeghorn
09-15-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't have any advice, just stumbled on your post and wanted to say the finished product is looking good!

xtreem3d
09-15-2011, 07:39 PM
i don't know the answer either but i see your screen name is "scagrider"..i think i'd sell the mower and stick to this....it looks GREAT !!!

PS (seems like sand may keep coming through the blocks)

DVS Hardscaper
09-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Do not pack any sand in there.

Are the posts resting on top of the concrete or is the concrete poured around the posts?

If they're just sitting on the concrete, then that's why you have sway.

If concrete is poured around the posts, then there shouldn't be any sway.

Just like a deck. A deck where the posts actually go into the ground and have concrete around the posts will not move. But a deck with the posts resting on top of a concrete pier will sway.

Posted via Mobile Device

vtscaper
09-15-2011, 09:00 PM
seems like some pt blocking on the each side of the posts would help.

SDLandscapes VT
09-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Chris....did you finish in Stowe....are you back to larkin's place??

scagrider22
09-15-2011, 10:03 PM
i don't know the answer either but i see your screen name is "scagrider"..i think i'd sell the mower and stick to this....it looks GREAT !!!

PS (seems like sand may keep coming through the blocks)

Haha thanks, honestly I have not mowed grass other than my own in a few years. Its just a screen name.

scagrider22
09-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Do not pack any sand in there.

Are the posts resting on top of the concrete or is the concrete poured around the posts?

If they're just sitting on the concrete, then that's why you have sway.

If concrete is poured around the posts, then there shouldn't be any sway.

Just like a deck. A deck where the posts actually go into the ground and have concrete around the posts will not move. But a deck with the posts resting on top of a concrete pier will sway.

Posted via Mobile Device
The posts are sitting on a concrete footer 36"s below the seat wall footer and then I filled the holes and poured concrete around the posts for the seat wall footer. All of the sway is from the seat wall footer up. Its not bad but maybe I will stick some wood shims in the column as someone else mentioned, that should fix my issue.

scagrider22
09-15-2011, 10:13 PM
DVS, I posted a picture that has the steps in it just so you could see the railing lol.

DVS Hardscaper
09-15-2011, 10:32 PM
DVS, I posted a picture that has the steps in it just so you could see the railing lol.

Yes, I noticed that right away!

DVS Hardscaper
09-15-2011, 10:38 PM
The posts are sitting on a concrete footer 36"s below the seat wall footer and then I filled the holes and poured concrete around the posts for the seat wall footer. All of the sway is from the seat wall footer up. Its not bad but maybe I will stick some wood shims in the column as someone else mentioned, that should fix my issue.

This pergola has posts resting on the masonry seatwall (that has a frost footer) and posts that are planted in the ground where they're not resting on the seatwall.

The posts on the seat wall are lag bolted to heavy steel brackets that are secured into the seatwall. And yes, it has slight sway. It's been in place for 4 years, so far so good.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/Chateau%20Des%20Beauchamp/OutdoorKitchen-lg.jpg

scagrider22
09-15-2011, 10:50 PM
This pergola has posts resting on the masonry seatwall (that has a frost footer) and posts that are planted in the ground where they're not resting on the seatwall.

The posts on the seat wall are lag bolted to heavy steel brackets that are secured into the seatwall. And yes, it has slight sway. It's been in place for 4 years, so far so good.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/Chateau%20Des%20Beauchamp/OutdoorKitchen-lg.jpg

That makes me feel better. Im really OCD, and probably over thinking this. The patio height is 1' above the seat wall footer so really I have 4' of the posts buried, the sway is not bad at all I just wanted to know what other contractors are doing in similar situations.

DVS Hardscaper
09-15-2011, 10:54 PM
you'll just have to post signs that say "no leaning", like the "no diving" signs for shallow pools......

scagrider22
09-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Good idea! I will get those made asap...:rolleyes:

JimLewis
10-27-2011, 11:09 PM
The ones we've done like this, we have not filled the "void" that you speak of with anything. There should be no need for that at all. If it's buried deep enough and with enough concrete around it, the posts should be 100% stable on their own, regardless of what's around them. In fact, 80% of the pergolas we've done don't have anything around them. We just bury them deep enough and put plenty of concrete around them. But for the ones we have done that way (like you pictured) we just left that void totally empty.

scagrider22
10-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks Jim, I ended up leaving it alone. If Im standing on the patio pushing on the pergola it does not move, if Im standing on the seat wall pushing on it at the top it moves about a 1/4", Im sure its not a big deal and thats probably normal. I just wanted to see what other landscapers are doing in this situation. The footings under the post are about 4' below the patio.