PDA

View Full Version : quickest way to take down bamboo

Florida Gardener
09-15-2011, 09:18 PM
I have a big clump to remove next week. Chainsaw? Power pole pruner?

Not sure of the cultivar(if that makes a difference).

j-ville native
09-15-2011, 09:43 PM
definitely a chainsaw... my neighbor's bamboo tree grows like crazy. every once in a while i have to take a chainsaw and cut down the part of the tree that is against the fence so that it doesn't push the fence over lol

fl-landscapes
09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
You want to get as much of the roots as possible otherwise they are going to come right back. Being one of the fastest growing plants on the planet, if you can I would rent bobcat and yank em out. Get a big one too because they are a bear to get out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
09-15-2011, 10:17 PM
You want to get as much of the roots as possible otherwise they are going to come right back. Being one of the fastest growing plants on the planet, if you can I would rent bobcat and yank em out. Get a big one too because they are a bear to get out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can you do the stump cut method on them?
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
09-15-2011, 10:18 PM
i cut them at the stump. they grow back though so its a never ending job

fl-landscapes
09-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Can you do the stump cut method on them?
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure about that method. But there isn't much of a stump and you will have a lot of what your calling stumps as they grow in Dense patches of individual plants. All I know is if you don't dig out as much of those roots as you can you will have a re growth problem. Probably will regardless of what you do but this will give you the best shot. I think. I got some pictures of bamboo I pulled out with a bobcat, let me look
Posted via Mobile Device

bamaturf
09-15-2011, 10:28 PM
bend it over a little then whack it at a 45 with a real sharp machete

fl-landscapes
09-15-2011, 10:31 PM
heres a couple clumps we pulled, you can see the grapple on the skidsteer in the pic, not great pictures but figured I show what we did.

fl-landscapes
09-15-2011, 10:34 PM
house may not look like much but it was a 2 million dollar house in cape haze. The owners bought it run down and re did everything from the landscape to the paint in and out all new tile throughout etc. Guy and his partner developed the system to extract gas from landfills and clean it to be re-sold. They sold the company for a fortune!

bamaturf
09-15-2011, 11:03 PM
i think its too late for the machete!

Ric
09-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Diamond

Stump Cut herbicide doesn't work on Bamboo. The way fl-landscape took them out is the best method getting as much root as possible. Still you will have regrowth because Bamboo is a survivor. The best way is to cut off the new Bamboo shoots as they appear. Finally the Root will run out of energy and stop trying to grow. I have yet to find a herbicide that works on Bamboo without sterilizing the ground

larryinalabama
09-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Sell the stuff bamboo can bring some big prices, november is the perfect time to transplant.

Florida Gardener
09-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Diamond

Stump Cut herbicide doesn't work on Bamboo. The way fl-landscape took them out is the best method getting as much root as possible. Still you will have regrowth because Bamboo is a survivor. The best way is to cut off the new Bamboo shoots as they appear. Finally the Root will run out of energy and stop trying to grow. I have yet to find a herbicide that works on Bamboo without sterilizing the ground

Ric what if I didn't care about the ground being sterilized? The grass is Bahia/weeds...
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
09-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Not Ric, but I know that Arsenal or Velpar works very well on bamboo. Arsenal will kill most non leguminous plants and trees with roots to the side of or going under the bamboo. Velpar goes straight down. It kills almost everything I can think of. Last time I had to kill bamboo that became invasive I used Arsenal at 2 quarts per acre on foot tall regrowth. You might need an industrial/ROW license to buy and use either of those herbicides, especially the Velpar.

greendoctor
09-16-2011, 05:47 AM
heres a couple clumps we pulled, you can see the grapple on the skidsteer in the pic, not great pictures but figured I show what we did.

Those are not bamboo, but bamboo palm. In the wrong place and allowed to become overgrown, a pest. Same is true of any of the clumping and running palms.

Ric
09-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Ric what if I didn't care about the ground being sterilized? The grass is Bahia/weeds...
Posted via Mobile Device

Diamond

You have look at the whole picture. We are presently at about 60 inches of rain fall this year and we still have 3.5 months to go. Bahia/weeds won't grow on sterile ground and you still need erosion control. Any time you consider using a ground sterilizer you better do a lot of thinking and looking, because there are multiply side issues and it will last at least a year.

Green Doctor

Bamboo isn't real popular here as a plant. Maybe it is because most Bamboo is invasive or we think it is. The trivia about Bamboo, it is now being grown as a commercial building material. It isn't a big industry but a few small shops are building various Bamboo huts and bars and need a source of materials.

yamadooski
09-16-2011, 08:40 AM
I use a lot of bamboo. If you use the non invasive you can create a good tropical look without the worry of freeze damage.
Its the non experienced lawn/landscaper that puts in the wrong type for the area.
Its too bad Diomond that you are so far away I would come over with my bobcat and pull it out. Doing a job that calls for bamboo.

Plantculture
09-16-2011, 08:50 AM
I agree with the bobcat or loader. A razor sharp landscape shovel will work to cut the rhizomes and dig it out, but it is not the fastest method.