PDA

View Full Version : any diesel power addicts out there?

JShe8918
09-15-2011, 10:10 PM
I was just wondering if there was anyone on here that is into diesel performance. If you look at my signature you can tell i am an enthusiast and any money that i make generally goes into this darn truck. Not that i ever would, but I almost think it would be cheaper to be addicted to drugs than this truck! Bought it used for 35,000 and said just a grille guard, winch, tint, wheels, and tires will suffice. Well then came the $800 programmer that opened my eyes to the diesel performance world. Soon it was a different programmer, then a built transmission, a larger turbo, then BOOM a blown head gasket and a few bent rods. $30,000 later i had a full blown race truck that i use for work everyday and alot of play on the weekends!

5speedpsd
09-16-2011, 12:27 AM
I usto have one of those addictions dropped more money into my old truck then I new what to do with. Had a 97 F350 powerstroke 5 speed. Had cam, injectors, turbo, chip and a programmer, intercooler, intake, 4 inch turbo back leveled with 35's. Had alot of fun with that truck and spent way to much money on the truck. I've wanted to build my 6.0 for awhile but can bring myself to do it. All I have in it now is a small chip mostly for fuel milage. Might be buying an 02 cummins for my next toy though if I can find one I like.

JDiepstra
09-16-2011, 12:57 AM
I built mine for reliable power.

JShe8918
09-16-2011, 03:26 AM
I know the feeling. I just ripped my motor out and am reverting it back to stock. My next project is either a 07 5.9 megacab dodge 2500 or an 08+ f250 6.4. The duramax is a great platform. In both stock and modded forms. I don't honestly think I could drive a stock truck after having this truck. Down at suncoast dyno day in fort walton florida she laid down a new best of 897 hp and nearly 1650 torque corrected on a small shot of nitrous. My tuner was there telling begging me to let him swap in a larger jet and I wouldn't let him. He was wanting 1000 hp. My reply was I'm not going for broke. All I wanted was 850. Previous best was 727 with rough tuning and the torque skills my mind at the moment.

Now I have a few suggestions to you about the 02 duramax. The 02 lly has some issues. You need to make sure the injectors have been replaced. And take it to the dealership and have them check the balance rates of the injectors. They should be between -4 and +4 in park and -7 and + 7 in drive. If they aren't. Then one of the inceptors is going bad or the injector cup is messed up. Either way it's about a 6000 dollar repair in the old lb7 because in those motors you have to remove the heads together to them. Now if u find one and buy it you should definitely get up with rob coddens in eagle Idaho at Adrenaline truck performance and get some efi live tunes from him instead of a crappy programmer like bully dog Or something. He tunes my truck and is awesome at what he does. He could build u a tune that would net 20-24 mpg on the highway easy and be completely safe to your truck. Just my two cents! Best of luck!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

JShe8918
09-16-2011, 03:28 AM
Meant 02 lb7.
Posted via Mobile Device

dieseltech
09-16-2011, 04:19 AM
Yep... 06 f250 with the 6.ohhh ccsb. 6" bds lift with superlift traction bars, 18" ion wheels, fierce attitude mt tires. Rcd egr delete and arp studded. 58v hot ficm, airdog 2, industrial injection hybrid turbo, industrial injection 190 injectors, s&b intake, spearco intercooler, mbrp 4" to 6" tip straight thru. Snow water meth stage 2 kit with large tank. Sct x3 programmer with tunes from innovative diesel and edge cts monitor for gauges. working on building a tranny soon but the stock has held up nicely. Best truck ive had to date, even better than my last 02'cummins project. More comfortable and cleaner running considering the mods. It is an expensive hobby but well worth it when you dust a sports car in an 8000 lb truck pulling a trailer lmao.
Posted via Mobile Device

JShe8918
09-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Yep... 06 f250 with the 6.ohhh ccsb. 6" bds lift with superlift traction bars, 18" ion wheels, fierce attitude mt tires. Rcd egr delete and arp studded. 58v hot ficm, airdog 2, industrial injection hybrid turbo, industrial injection 190 injectors, s&b intake, spearco intercooler, mbrp 4" to 6" tip straight thru. Snow water meth stage 2 kit with large tank. Sct x3 programmer with tunes from innovative diesel and edge cts monitor for gauges. working on building a tranny soon but the stock has held up nicely. Best truck ive had to date, even better than my last 02'cummins project. More comfortable and cleaner running considering the mods. It is an expensive hobby but well worth it when you dust a sports car in an 8000 lb truck pulling a trailer lmao.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your truck sounds sweet! There really is nothing like beating sports cars in these big trucks. People r like what just happened! You have very similar mods on your truck as to what I want to put on the 6.4 ford if I buy it. It would be my first powerstroke so I would love tO hear your input on my want list. Elite egr delete with wastegate, elite h11 head studs, fass 150 lift pump, turbo back straight pipe, afe intake, cold air inforce tube (forget the real name), and Spartan tuning. Maybe later on upgrading to a 59 mm charger cod the small and a 74mm precision turbo with some Injectors. I don't know how much these things can handle on stock block. You should post a picture of your truck it sounds nice !
Posted via Mobile Device

dieseltech
09-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Yea ill get a pic up when i get home. Sounds like yer on the right track. The tube you speak of im thinking your talking about the intake manifold? You will need a dpf delete on your list as well. Will get pics up later
Posted via Mobile Device

JShe8918
09-16-2011, 09:34 PM
http://www.rivercitydiesel.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=218&category_id=56&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
09-16-2011, 10:31 PM
I had a 1985 300D Mercedes Benz with 160k that I did some mods to .
KaN air tube filter mod,3inch streit pipe non muffler car, tweaked the fuel injector pump up a bit.
It ran at the Gainesville track best time was 16.5- 18 seconds @80+mph
those cars do zero to sixty in 25 seconds so I was proud of the deisel tunning I did :laugh:
Probly went from 120hp to 160+hp nothing much but it was fun smoking tires in a slow Benz :)
And yes it did do black smoke with a blip of the throttle:laugh: and 119 mph:cool2:

greendoctor
09-17-2011, 12:36 AM
I still have a 1983 300D with stock muffler and intake system. However, the injector pump is turned up, the EGR has been blocked off and it runs at 14 PSI boost not the factory 11 or 12. Never had it timed, but it is not a slow car. Leave people behind at traffic lights or going uphill. At the end of the warranty period on my spray truck, 2007.5 Ram 3500, it will lose the EGR, DPF and NOX catalyst. Not so much for more power as to prevent it from needing to stay at the dealer for 2 weeks every year to repair problems caused by the soot being held back and recirculated into the engine.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
09-17-2011, 08:54 AM
if the stock airfilter is remouved you will see a huge differance it only lets about a half an inch of air in at the narroist part
. plus the exhaust is really restrictive .
not my cars but really cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH5VthBVRSg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1yLkKJhoI&feature=related

weapons of grass destruction
09-20-2011, 06:55 AM
what did your duramax do in a quarter or 1/8 of a mile?

4 seasons lawn&land
09-20-2011, 08:11 PM
same question

jimmyjack
09-20-2011, 09:12 PM
does this count as a addict, my 02 dmax
the best for that day was 13.3 at 102mph 1.5 60'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncxy7fmyoNA

and this was we were bored , burnouts are a good fix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtqdgSVxazk

PlantscapeSolutions
09-21-2011, 12:56 AM
I had an 02' Ram 2500 4x4 that had $30K in mods. I never got it on the dyno after I installed the Spearco intercooler or CFM intake but with my other mods it made 450 HP & 983 torque at the rear wheels. With my Spearco & CFM I should have been over 500 hp and 1100 tq. I only had Formula One 90 Hp injectors and a single High Tech Turbo Super Stock 66/13 stainless steel turbo. Oh yeah, I also had Snow water\meth, Smarty, Edge Comp, Ats manifold, 4" TBE, performance harmonic balancer, South Bend Con ofe clutch, FASS 95, and a few other goodies.

On the chassis I had Weld Racing forged wheels ($1000), hydraulic assist steering ($2000), Dynatrac free spin hubs installed ($2600), and a bunch of other stuff.

The only mods on my 09' 3500 Ram 4x4 are an Airdog, Smarty, Edge CT, AFE Pro Dry,
DPF delete kit, ARP 625's, and 5" TBE. With wheels, bumper, seat covers, spray liner, tool box, nerfs, and a few other odds and ends. About $6000 is down the tubes so far. I'd love to do the Suncoast Comp Trans but it's about $9000. With a stock trans you shouldn't add more then 65 HP extra which sucks.

For performance you just can't beat the Cummings. The stock internals can handle 1000 HP with just a set of ARP 625's installed. The Duramax is the second best engine but at 1000 HP you will usually end up needing different rods and pistons which is going to be expensive as hell. The Ford 7.3, 6.0, & 6.4 can also make big numbers but it takes a hell of a lot more work to make it happen. There are some Ram & Duramaxes making 1800 HP but it takes all the money in the world and an act of God to get any of the Fords to 1000 HP. That's what you get for buying a Ford. :laugh:

PlantscapeSolutions
09-21-2011, 01:00 AM
I built mine for reliable power.

What are your mods and do you have a dyno slip to back up your 500 Hp number. Is that a RWHP number of 500 your posting on your signature. I like to hear what other Cummins owners have for mods.

JShe8918
09-21-2011, 01:13 AM
what did your duramax do in a quarter or 1/8 of a mile?

I haven't ever spray nitrous on the track ever. The quickest i have run is a 7.4x in the 1/8th and in the quarter the best i ran was 11.59 at 116 both the same run and fuel only. This was on 35" nitto mud grapplers and 20" diamo wheels. I imagine if i used my nitrous, had a set of slicks, dropped some weight like tool box, towing package, and system i could have been 10.8. I only took it down the track with the built motor a dozen times or so. It is more of a dyno queen and street truck. I started off with small mods street racing in the projects about 30 minutes from my house. The first time on the track was with only a built transmission, efi live, and fass 150 lift pump i ran 13.02 at sea level. The next time i went i had headstuds and a htts366 and ran an 12.6. Once i got the full blown set up my first pass was only 12.9's which really pissed me off. But then i got used to launching it and we got the tuning worked out. I was on the top 50 quick list for duramax's but got kicked off. Now the number 50 is running like 11.40's. I am scared of my truck as it sat. Now she is in pieces. I have a stock motor with 15k miles going back into it with a 4094avnt turbo and i am going to put it up for sale. I want a megacab cummins 3500 or a ford f450 6.4 both are slow pigs though.

Swampy
09-21-2011, 03:09 AM
I guess you say I am but upgrades have to be worthy. I have a 6.5L chevy, right now it has PMD relocation, and 4in not true dual exhaust (better looking than stacks). Looking to get a larger trans pan with trans temp gauge (plowing snow the weak link is the trans), trans oil cooler, EGT gauge 6.5's known for it exhaust temps getting to high.

JDiepstra
09-21-2011, 07:56 AM
What are your mods and do you have a dyno slip to back up your 500 Hp number. Is that a RWHP number of 500 your posting on your signature. I like to hear what other Cummins owners have for mods.

Intake, intake elbow, exhaust, Smarty, MP-8, 64/68/14

Should be close to 500 rwhp. Well over at the crank. No dyno. Based number off of others numbers with same/similiar mods.

09-21-2011, 09:20 AM
I had an 02' Ram 2500 4x4 that had $30K in mods. I never got it on the dyno after I installed the Spearco intercooler or CFM intake but with my other mods it made 450 HP & 983 torque at the rear wheels. With my Spearco & CFM I should have been over 500 hp and 1100 tq. I only had Formula One 90 Hp injectors and a single High Tech Turbo Super Stock 66/13 stainless steel turbo. Oh yeah, I also had Snow water\meth, Smarty, Edge Comp, Ats manifold, 4" TBE, performance harmonic balancer, South Bend Con ofe clutch, FASS 95, and a few other goodies.

On the chassis I had Weld Racing forged wheels ($1000), hydraulic assist steering ($2000), Dynatrac free spin hubs installed ($2600), and a bunch of other stuff.

The only mods on my 09' 3500 Ram 4x4 are an Airdog, Smarty, Edge CT, AFE Pro Dry,
DPF delete kit, ARP 625's, and 5" TBE. With wheels, bumper, seat covers, spray liner, tool box, nerfs, and a few other odds and ends. About $6000 is down the tubes so far. I'd love to do the Suncoast Comp Trans but it's about $9000. With a stock trans you shouldn't add more then 65 HP extra which sucks.

For performance you just can't beat the Cummings. The stock internals can handle 1000 HP with just a set of ARP 625's installed. The Duramax is the second best engine but at 1000 HP you will usually end up needing different rods and pistons which is going to be expensive as hell. The Ford 7.3, 6.0, & 6.4 can also make big numbers but it takes a hell of a lot more work to make it happen. There are some Ram & Duramaxes making 1800 HP but it takes all the money in the world and an act of God to get any of the Fords to 1000 HP. That's what you get for buying a Ford. :laugh:

Man $30,000 I can never see myself spending that much.
I have heard you can add up to 100 hp before trans upgrade.
I am guessing you have a standard trans south bend clutch.
What is arp 625's?
Yes I love cummmins my dad has a 94 standard trans.
its pretty fast.
before we had it my uncle had put a new injector pump in it.
And after that it runs a lot richer he said it never use to run like that.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-21-2011, 10:20 AM
My last 02' truck had a NV 5600 6 speed trans with a South Bend Con ofe clutch. The truck ate the first Con ofe after a year and I had to install the newer version of the Con ofe which was much better. The NV5600 probably by far the strongest transmission ever put in a pickup truck. With no internal mods it has been known to hold 1000 HP.

On the Dodge 68RFE trans the weak point if you mod the truck are the two overdrive clutches. If you ad more then 65 HP which will mean your adding about 130 ft lbs of torque you asking for trouble. It will likely not happen for a year or so but the overdrives clutches will start to slip. The 68 Comp Trans will hold 1000 HP and is really the only decent trans you can buy.

ARP 625 are head studs made by ARP. It's a box of studs you can hold in the palm of your hand that cost $1200. Because new trucks have more emissions stuff they retain more heat because of this the heads have more water cooling passages and less cast iron. The heads can flex more and blow a head gasket if you up the power. A blown head gasket on a 6.7 will cost you $800.

The stock Ford 6.0's need ARP 625's because of poor engineering. If you blow a gasket on a Ford the whole cab has to come off the truck. Bye bye big bucks.

On my 02' I had about $17K at most in power mods and around $13K in other stuff. My mods were done over 3-4 year period so I spread out the pain after the truck was paid for.

DieselSteve
09-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Heres my rig. 04 F250 XL with the 6.oh just got it a few months ago so the only mods I have on it are stacks, gauges and im running the SRL tune from Matt.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x479/stego612/DSCN0337.jpg http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x479/stego612/DSCN0339.jpg http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x479/stego612/DSCN0294.jpg http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x479/stego612/DSCN0292-1.jpg

PlantscapeSolutions
09-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Do you have the aftermarket oil cooler, ARP head studs, and an EGR delete? If not your driving a ticking time bomb. The EGR system on the stock trucks get clogged over time and when you run a tune your adding even more soot to the EGR that will cause an EGR failure to occur even more quickly. There's also a screen that separates the engine oil from the pressurized oil used to fire the injectors that is a know failure point. When the screen fails you end up with contaminated oil.

The heads on the 6.0 were poorly designed and have too few head bolts which leads to failed head gaskets. When you add a tune your putting more stress on the HG and insuring a gasket failure will happen sooner instead of latter. ARP 625's are to cure to the HG problem. If you blow a HG the whole cab has to be removed from the truck and you going to be paying big bucks. Mechanics love 6.0's.

There are kits you can buy that will fix all of the problem issues. The kits with ARP studs, oil coolers, EGR block offs, and a few other parts may be around $2000 or more but it's money well spent. I would think that when (not if) your HG blows out just that cab off repair could be $2000.

DieselSteve
09-24-2011, 12:05 AM
My EGR is turned off with the tune im runing and I can tell from my gauges when I need to back off so I dont blow the HG. Yes I have done my research on the 6.0 and know all the problems with the oil cooler, egr, hg's and other things that gave this engine its bad reputation. In the near future I plan on installing head studs, oil cooler, egr delete and a few other things myself, all this can be done without removing the cab.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-24-2011, 12:30 AM
The cabs only have to be removed if the HG blows before your able to do heads studs. You can tell a good place to get your Ford worked on because they will usually always have a few trucks with cabs removed at any given time. Even at stock power levels the HG's will blow. If you have a bunch of miles on your 6.0 performance shops may still recommend pulling the cab so they can install a fresh HG. Once you get around 100K miles there a good chance your HG is already partially compromised. Good luck.

mnglocker
09-24-2011, 04:07 AM
I've got a 2k Ram 2500 with the 5.9ISB and....

FASS 95/95, MWFI Refreshed IP, K&N, 4" TBE, Van Aken 65hp/128ftlb fueling box, Cummins Rv/
Marine 60hp injectors, Holset HXW 35 (24v HO Turbo w/wastegate, More boost) ISSpro Gauges... Then the tranny, suncoast billet guts, alto red friction 5:1 apply lever, TranGo Diesel shift kit, Mag-hytec Extra deep 5+ pan, and additional 26k.lb rated cooler, and a triple disc billet torque converter.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-25-2011, 12:06 AM
I've got a 2k Ram 2500 with the 5.9ISB and....

FASS 95/95, MWFI Refreshed IP, K&N, 4" TBE, Van Aken 65hp/128ftlb fueling box, Cummins Rv/
Marine 60hp injectors, Holset HXW 35 (24v HO Turbo w/wastegate, More boost) ISSpro Gauges... Then the tranny, suncoast billet guts, alto red friction 5:1 apply lever, TranGo Diesel shift kit, Mag-hytec Extra deep 5+ pan, and additional 26k.lb rated cooler, and a triple disc billet torque converter.

If you ditch the Van Aken and run a Smarty stacked with an Edge Comp or TST you will love the results. I used the Smarty on #9 solo and towed 18K up 10% grades with ease. An S300 would be a good upgrade for under a grand. I had an S300 then went with a High Tech Turbo Super Stock 62/13 but they are closer to two grand.

Cornell
09-25-2011, 12:56 AM
I've had 2 Duramaxs. An 02 ECSB LB7 and now my 06 LBZ. They are/were both tuned with efilive with DSP5 by me.

I just ordered a 68mm Fleece Performance Cheetah turbo and an SDP S475 twin kit along with an ML converter and Stage V trans, ARP studs. I plan on ordering a Cognito 4" NTBD lift kit in a couple weeks as well. I'm hoping for a 700-750hp and 1300-1450 tq daily driver.

How it sits now:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/Quiex89/DSC01268.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/Quiex89/DSC01210.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/Quiex89/DSC01168.jpg

dieseltech
09-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Nice wheels...cant tell from the pics but are those bmf's or mkw's???
Posted via Mobile Device

Cornell
09-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Nice wheels...cant tell from the pics but are those bmf's or mkw's???
Posted via Mobile Device

They are BMF Novakane 22x10.5's on 285/55/22 Trail Grapplers

PlantscapeSolutions
09-25-2011, 03:21 PM
They are BMF Novakane 22x10.5's on 285/55/22 Trail Grapplers

They look good but definitely need to be on a lifted truck so they don't over whelm the fender wells. Especially on A GM truck since they tend to sit lower then the Dodges and Fords. How much taller then stock are the tires?

Cornell
09-25-2011, 06:04 PM
They look good but definitely need to be on a lifted truck so they don't over whelm the fender wells. Especially on A GM truck since they tend to sit lower then the Dodges and Fords. How much taller then stock are the tires?

Stock pizza cutters are 29 3/4" tall and mine are 34 1/2" tall.

dieseltech
09-25-2011, 10:27 PM
a little dirty but just finally got some time to put up a couple pics

Cornell
09-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Washed it up today

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/Quiex89/DSC02542.jpg

JShe8918
09-26-2011, 12:48 PM
That is a one clean truck. Didn't u have 22" ultras on there? Are you on the forums as Cornell or something like that by chance?
Posted via Mobile Device

JShe8918
09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Got to be careful with those torque numbers. Once you venture over 1200 ft lbs of torque you are going to bend rods. How ever those mods will get u to 600-620 hp. The fact of the matter is you can't get enough fuel to go much higher out of your stock CP3 and injectors. You will need more fuel to get those numbers. Mod your lbz pump, add some 60 over injectors and you will probably reach the 720ish mark. But fact of the matter is

I've had 2 Duramaxs. An 02 ECSB LB7 and now my 06 LBZ. They are/were both tuned with efilive with DSP5 by me.

I just ordered a 68mm Fleece Performance Cheetah turbo and an SDP S475 twin kit along with an ML converter and Stage V trans, ARP studs. I plan on ordering a Cognito 4" NTBD lift kit in a couple weeks as well. I'm hoping for a 700-750hp and 1300-1450 tq daily driver.

How it sits now:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/Quiex89/DSC01268.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/Quiex89/DSC01210.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/Quiex89/DSC01168.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

Cornell
09-26-2011, 07:44 PM
That is a one clean truck. Didn't u have 22" ultras on there? Are you on the forums as Cornell or something like that by chance?
Posted via Mobile Device

I used to have 22" Incubus wheels on it. And yeah I'm Cornell on other truck/diesel forums.

Got to be careful with those torque numbers. Once you venture over 1200 ft lbs of torque you are going to bend rods. How ever those mods will get u to 600-620 hp. The fact of the matter is you can't get enough fuel to go much higher out of your stock CP3 and injectors. You will need more fuel to get those numbers. Mod your lbz pump, add some 60 over injectors and you will probably reach the 720ish mark. But fact of the matter is

Posted via Mobile Device

I plan on a modded CP3 and 60 overs next Spring so I'm not so crazy with timing and p/w. I'm going to see how long I can make it on the stock rods and pistons. My stock allison is a freak and has held a 500hp race tune for almost 50k miles with a bunch of WOT 5th and 6th gear shifts. I honestly can't believe it hasn't even limped yet. I have my eye on an 07 Duramax engine with 75k on it to do a build so my truck isn't down for so long. The guy wants 4500 for it but I think I could talk him down a bit, comes with everything so I could sell stuff off of it I don't need.

JDiepstra
09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Man I love all white trucks.

JShe8918
09-26-2011, 10:20 PM
I've got two motors for sale but they won't bolt up to your 6speed. Lb7 232k miles. Motor for 3000
And a lly with 14k miles for 4500. If u know of anyone. I have a deal for you. I'm gonna pm u my number. There is a new turbo that is awesome that isn't released yet. I was supposed to be a tester but since I'm reverting to stock so my trans and heads won't hold it. I'll give you some details. It's a sweet deal.

I used to have 22" Incubus wheels on it. And yeah I'm Cornell on other truck/diesel forums.

I plan on a modded CP3 and 60 overs next Spring so I'm not so crazy with timing and p/w. I'm going to see how long I can make it on the stock rods and pistons. My stock allison is a freak and has held a 500hp race tune for almost 50k miles with a bunch of WOT 5th and 6th gear shifts. I honestly can't believe it hasn't even limped yet. I have my eye on an 07 Duramax engine with 75k on it to do a build so my truck isn't down for so long. The guy wants 4500 for it but I think I could talk him down a bit, comes with everything so I could sell stuff off of it I don't need.
Posted via Mobile Device

jimmyjack
09-27-2011, 10:30 PM
couple pics with different rims ive had since ive had the truck...

making 472hp /934tq at the wheels

09-28-2011, 07:04 AM
couple pics with different rims ive had since ive had the truck...

making 472hp /934tq at the wheels

See l like that not to fancy i doubt you spent over 10,000.
In your truck.

psdnate
09-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Here's my 04 F350 6.0L

7.3 Rocket
09-28-2011, 01:44 PM
I've got a 99 F350 with a 7.3 I'm in the planning stages of a build that should be north of 525rwhp and should make little to no smoke

250/200 Full Force Diesel single shots
not 100% sure on charger but probably something like an S366 or GQSSB
Gen3 high pressure oil system
not sure if i'm going to get stock rods balanced and cryo'd or get billet rods
get the trans built by Brian's Truck Shop out of Lead Hill, AR
stage 1 Gearhead cam
DI pushrods
ARP head studs
Comp 910 springs
fire rings
lots of machine work
home built fuel system
and then tunes from Matt @ gearhead to make it all play nice together

I'll probably push my luck with nitrous at some point but gotta build the engine before I can blow it up.

She's not much for looking at but she moves pretty ok at this point with a turbo off a 7.3 van and a DP Tuner being the only real power adders.
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww31/73_Rocket/293963_10150285920661359_603666358_8068351_5718617_n.jpg

JDiepstra
09-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I have not heard about this turbo from a van mod and am surely no 7.3 expert. Is it bigger? Just curious.

KrayzKajun
09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
I plan to put a few thousand miles on my truck before I do anything to my new Cummins
Posted via Mobile Device

dieseltech
09-28-2011, 04:03 PM
I plan to put a few thousand miles on my truck before I do anything to my new Cummins
Posted via Mobile Device

Pffffff.... Lol i dont blame ya
Posted via Mobile Device

jwsland
09-28-2011, 07:17 PM
06 6.0 custom tuned by eric at innovative diesel in elkton maryland. ARP headstuds and egr delete. Tons of other upgrades. Its got 150k and still runs like new, tows awesome and without the trailer its stupid fast. I drag race the truck a few times out of the season at some diesel events. Never ran it in the 1/4 mile but truck with similar mods and size are mid 13's.

7.3 Rocket
09-28-2011, 08:51 PM
I have not heard about this turbo from a van mod and am surely no 7.3 expert. Is it bigger? Just curious.

I'm far from an expert but I know a few tricks with them.

The vans didn't have room for an intercooler so they put a 1.15 non-wastegated housing on their turbos with the same turbine.

With the looser housing you get a little more lag (I personally didn't notice a big difference) but your turbo will pull longer if that makes sense.

jimmyjack
09-28-2011, 09:47 PM
See l like that not to fancy i doubt you spent over 10,000.
In your truck.

into the truck.......

current rims chrome H2 rims .....$500
5 inch MBRP exhaust ....$250
kennedy dual lift pumps....$600
PPE hot+2 programmer.....$750
PPE duramaximizer....$150
trans... $3200

paid 15k for the truck in 06 with 89k on it, its got 168k now ...only thing ive had to fix was the water pump went at around 130k

JShe8918
09-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Before

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x156/Jonathan818_2007/MY%20trucks/l_ed490e3f43f545e7a3c1a9a319b3acb7.jpg

After lift wheels and tires

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x156/Jonathan818_2007/MY%20trucks/IMG_4890.jpg

JShe8918
09-28-2011, 11:09 PM
a small break down

Trans 5300, EFI 799, Fass lift pump 599, motor 18,000, turbos 6800, exhaust 499+150, for tip injection pump 1800, lift 3800, wheels 1100, tires 2700, brush guard 2800, winch 1500, tool box 250, bedliner 300, system -/+ 2500, addtional tuning 1000, repair are probably upward of 10,000 (just in driveshafts, input shafts, yokes, and u joints), truck was 32,000. Close to 100k dollars in the 5 years i have owned it. I've had numerous sets of wheels and tires. But i have recouped alot of that! I sold the motor, trans, and twin setup to one guy for 23k on craigslist! I sold my junk motor for 3500, junk trans for 800, system for 1000, both sets of wheels and tires 1000 each, winch for 800, toolbox for 100, stock suspension parts for 200. And now the truck is 100 percent stock except for lift, brush guard, lift pump, and tuning. And is for sale for 13k before the bank repo's it!

jimmyjack
09-28-2011, 11:24 PM
a small break down

Trans 5300, EFI 799, Fass lift pump 599, motor 18,000, turbos 6800, exhaust 499+150, for tip injection pump 1800, lift 3800, wheels 1100, tires 2700, brush guard 2800, winch 1500, tool box 250, bedliner 300, system -/+ 2500, addtional tuning 1000, repair are probably upward of 10,000 (just in driveshafts, input shafts, yokes, and u joints), truck was 32,000. Close to 100k dollars in the 5 years i have owned it. I've had numerous sets of wheels and tires. But i have recouped alot of that! I sold the motor, trans, and twin setup to one guy for 23k on craigslist! I sold my junk motor for 3500, junk trans for 800, system for 1000, both sets of wheels and tires 1000 each, winch for 800, toolbox for 100, stock suspension parts for 200. And now the truck is 100 percent stock except for lift, brush guard, lift pump, and tuning. And is for sale for 13k before the bank repo's it!

so.....all this money into the truck and u say u got alot back , why do u still owe so much on the truck..???? and why would u put so much into a truck the bank owns

JShe8918
09-29-2011, 01:42 AM
Well technically, I owned the truck outright. Then i started modding the truck. Well when the motor blew i didn't excatly have 10k laying around for a new factory motor. So i took a loan out against my truck and bought a fully built motor from guy trippin in Socal. I then borrowed for bigger twins. Yeah i got like 30k back out of 90k. I was young and dumb, was living outside of my means, had large credit card bills, and basically was stupid. My mom refused to bail me out so. I did what i needed to do. I have ruined my credit in the past year. It is probably as low as it can go. Last i checked it was in the high 400's! When i was 19 my credit was in the mid 700's. Needless to say. I have been wreckless in my living habits.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I put 20K on my 09' Ram 3500 before the emissions stuff was yanked, 5" TBE added, along with AirDog, Edge CT gauges, Smarty, Pro Dry air box, ect. The chance of the Cummins 6.7 having any issues is very slim so the possibilities of voiding the warranty doesn't bother me. If a catastrophic engine failure did occur let's just say I know a guy where for about a grand I would get a brand new engine under warranty.

I'm going to save about $5000 on fuel by the time I hit the 100K mark where my warranty would normally expire. By ditching the EGR you are also keeping your turbo and engine much cleaner ensuring less wear will occur.

Allowing EGT's to spike up from running programmers in extreme setting while towing or adding injectors that are really large (150 hp+ over stock) is where you can get into trouble. Once you get more extreme mods you must keep close tabs on EGT's, boost pressure, and even rail pressure. Extreme EGT's melting a piston is the number one killer of Diesel engines with mods.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-29-2011, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=psdnate;4171802]Here's my 04 F350 6.0L

Power mods? EGR delete? Oil cooler? ARP's to prevent blown head gasket?

JShe8918
09-29-2011, 11:47 AM
I dont have any experience with ford but from what ive read Most 6 liters need a minimum of studs, and egr delete. They like to lift heads. Also the egr delete will save your injectors. The oil cooler tend to get clogged and cause injector issues as well which can lead to catosphricic engine damage.
Posted via Mobile Device

7.3 Rocket
09-29-2011, 01:15 PM
I dont have any experience with ford but from what ive read Most 6 liters need a minimum of studs, and egr delete. They like to lift heads. Also the egr delete will save your injectors. The oil cooler tend to get clogged and cause injector issues as well which can lead to catosphricic engine damage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bingo. Ford used head bolts instead of head studs and they only used like 24 of them on the entire engine.

The EGR delete will help save head gaskets. A coolant filter will save your oil cooler. Coolant flows over the oil cooler and when there's too much particulate in your coolant your oil cooler gets plugged and bad things happen. That's my limited understanding of it after having disassembled one 6liter completely and done all the injectors in the passenger side bank on another.

Ramairfreak98ss
10-04-2011, 11:59 AM
damn, i think a couple of our 06 F350s with some parts and sct tunes are powerful as heck haha. i have to leave most of the trucks with stock tunes or tow tunes b/c i dont want the guys burning tires and abusing the piss out of them.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
10-10-2011, 12:29 AM
sweet car 335d reveiw

http://www.mpgomatic.com/2009/03/13/2009-bmw-335d-mpg-review/

not a truck but it has facory twins:)

greendoctor
10-10-2011, 01:45 AM
If I had money to burn, I would want that engine in a 7 series body. Looks like it can keep up with the gas guzzling V12 5.0 engine.

PowerstrokeWalker
10-10-2011, 07:32 PM
my daily driver
2008 ford f350 super duty
6.4 powerstroke
5 inch lift kit
traction bars
edge programmer
18 inch moto metal wheels
35-12.5-18 nitto grapplers
kn air intake

dieseltech
10-11-2011, 05:18 AM
Nice truck brother...i love the red and black combo, my last truck was red with black wheels, grille, smokedights etc...
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
10-11-2011, 08:04 AM
my daily driver
6.4 powerstroke
5 inch lift kit
traction bars
edge programmer
kn air intake
Do you have to wait a few seconds to start the truck with your Edge programmer? With the Dodges almost nobody uses the Edge because it has to clear all the engine codes that pop up from using the programmer. You have to wait all the codes to clear before you can start the truck on the Dodges. That annoys the hell out of most people. The H&S is much more popular then Edge for newer trucks. For the Dodges the top two programmers are H&S and Smarty.

PowerstrokeWalker
10-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Do you have to wait a few seconds to start the truck with your Edge programmer? With the Dodges almost nobody uses the Edge because it has to clear all the engine codes that pop up from using the programmer. You have to wait all the codes to clear before you can start the truck on the Dodges. That annoys the hell out of most people. The H&S is much more popular then Edge for newer trucks. For the Dodges the top two programmers are H&S and Smarty.

No wait to start the truck with the edge
In the near future is the h&s mini maxx for this truck

PowerstrokeWalker
10-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Nice truck brother...i love the red and black combo, my last truck was red with black wheels, grille, smokedights etc...
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Alot!!

jwsland
10-11-2011, 06:51 PM
my daily driver
6.4 powerstroke
5 inch lift kit
traction bars
edge programmer
kn air intake

Awesome truck! Like mentioned great color combo. You look into an SCT programmer with custom tuning? It not as expensive as it sounds and the truck using them are turning out disgusting numbers on the dyno and the track.

PowerstrokeWalker
10-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Awesome truck! Like mentioned great color combo. You look into an SCT programmer with custom tuning? It not as expensive as it sounds and the truck using them are turning out disgusting numbers on the dyno and the track.

I will look into the sct programmer..was planning on the h&s programmer mini maxx---cost around 910.00..its alot of money but well worth it

dieseltech
10-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Look into an sct x3 which is a handheld programmer and custom tunes from somewhere like rivercity diesel, gearhead, innovative diesel, mkm, and an edge cts for your gauges...its touchscreen and monitors everything. The sct with custom tunes will NOT dissapoint you and thats a promise!
Posted via Mobile Device

PowerstrokeWalker
10-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Look into an sct x3 which is a handheld programmer and custom tunes from somewhere like rivercity diesel, gearhead, innovative diesel, mkm, and an edge cts for your gauges...its touchscreen and monitors everything. The sct with custom tunes will NOT dissapoint you and thats a promise!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the advice!!! Ive used rivercity diesel before i will look into to the sct x3

JShe8918
10-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the advice!!! Ive used rivercity diesel before i will look into to the sct x3

GET THE SCT OR SPARTAN TUNES! They are a must for the 6.4l motors :weightlifter:

PlantscapeSolutions
10-15-2011, 01:35 AM
This was my first Diesel. FASS 95, F1 1.6, Snow stage 3 digital, Comp, Smarty, SS62\13, ATS Manifold, CFM , Spearco, Con ofe, Amsoil Bypass, Auto Meter Cobalt pyro & boost, and low fuel pres. light. 447.5 HP & 983.5 TQ @38. Spearco & CFM were added after dyno run.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-15-2011, 01:55 AM
Here's my Airdog, Smarty, AFE Pro Dry, ARP 625, & 5" TBE equipped ride. For the chassis I just did the Rock Stars, PacBrake air bags, and leveling kits. Plus I had to throw on the nerfs, bumpers, Rhino liner, and toolbox to give the truck some character.

JShe8918
10-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Both of the dodges look good! I would love to have a dually megacab someday.
Posted via Mobile Device