PDA

View Full Version : Ford Power Stroke being replaced with a 6.0?

Arnold
11-04-2002, 10:32 PM
I heard they were replacing the PS in the smaller trucks next year with a 6.0 anyone heard about this?

MacLawnCo
11-04-2002, 10:43 PM
I saw an option last night on their web site in the options on specing a new truck.

Shadetree Ltd
11-05-2002, 12:53 AM
Ford has replaced the 7.3 for a new 6.0 Powerstroke. As of early September you can no longer order the older 7.3. They are still available on some lots and will be for a little while but the new 6.0 sounds like it might be a pretty good replacement.

Scott

John DiMartino
11-05-2002, 07:02 AM
The PSD was replaced due to emmisions,it would never ever be able to meet the new 04 requirements.The good news is the 6.0 that replaces it is not only much cleaner,but has a LOT more power /torque than the 7.3. Pickuptruck.com has a tow test on a new 6.0/5spd auto,it flast out smoked the Cummins and duramax in every test by a wide margin.If this truck was a production truck,and they all run this way Ford guys will be :D with the new engine.

rkbrown
11-05-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Shadetree Ltd
Ford has replaced the 7.3 for a new 6.0 Powerstroke. As of early September you can no longer order the older 7.3. They are still available on some lots and will be for a little while but the new 6.0 sounds like it might be a pretty good replacement.

Scott

The vans will still have the 7.3 through the end of 2003. The new automatic transmission that is mated to the 6.0 is a 5 speed. I have a 2001 F-250 Crew Cab PSD, so it will be a while before Momma lets me consider the 6.0. :eek:

Green Pastures
11-05-2002, 10:11 AM
I love it, Ford gets socked with some emissions regulations. So they design a smaller engine, (less weight!!!) which just by means of less cu. in. will put out less emissions, but they make it more powerful in both H.P. and torque ratings in the process.

Now why cant Echo get this thing down. This new SRM-260S string trimmer which is replacing the SRM-2601 has these new low emissions carbs on them and they SUCK. Same thing with the new PB-650 blower that's replacing the 603 blower, I've heard nothing but complaints about them. Sure they put more air out the end of the tube, but try starting them and then try waiting around for them to "warm up" even though the outside ambient air is 95 degrees.

WHATS UP ECHO ???????????

Brickman
11-06-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Arnold
I heard they were replacing the PS in the smaller trucks next year with a 6.0 anyone heard about this?

I heard a rumble about a V 6 PS 4.3 or 4.0L coming out some time for use in the Expedition, and F150. That would be sweet.

No way I would buy a 6.0 and new trans until they been out a year or so.

GreginAlaska
11-06-2002, 01:13 AM
ISn't diesel supposed to be "reformulated" in 2005 or sometime? I wonder if the current Powerstrokes will be OK with it?

rkbrown
11-06-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Brickman
I heard a rumble about a V 6 PS 4.3 or 4.0L coming out some time for use in the Expedition, and F150. That would be sweet.

No way I would buy a 6.0 and new trans until they been out a year or so.

The V6 "baby PSD" has been cancelled or postponed. This was a large part of the charge off to earnings that International had to take when it reported its quarterly earnings.

John DiMartino
11-06-2002, 09:09 AM
If the baby PSd has been canned that is a shame. It had real potential.Its just a matter of tim before someone steps up and see's the potentila for a deisel i nthe 6000-8500GVWR trucks.With new technology the rattling,smoking is a thing of the past due to Common rail injection.Power can be equal to top gas options with torque being much higher.Fuel economy can easily be 35% better.

Brickman
11-06-2002, 09:21 AM
I agree if the the smaller version got scrapped that is a shame.

For the most part the clouds of black smoke are gone, but with a power chip and shot of propane they will return in enough volume to totally drown the cars behind you. :D

John DiMartino
11-06-2002, 09:27 AM
LOL Brickman, I can erase an 18 wheeler if i want to .Never do, but its thanks the Bully dog 7's and the Edge Comp.Buddy has a 110hp chip,it hardly smokes at all,in fact he's wishing it smoked like mine does.Love diesel power

wriken
11-06-2002, 09:28 AM
To bad about the baby P/S, I had heard it wa a 4.5, w/450lbs torque, would be nice for that class of truck. I really like my 7.3, great fuel milage. I agree w/Brickman, I'd wait awhile before buying a 6.0.

Brickman
11-06-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by John DiMartino
LOL Brickman, I can erase an 18 wheeler if i want to .Never do, but its thanks the Bully dog 7's and the Edge Comp.Buddy has a 110hp chip,it hardly smokes at all,in fact he's wishing it smoked like mine does.Love diesel power

My friend that sold me the 75HP Bully Dog chip told me that some of how much they smoke depends on the computer code. Mine is one of two or three codes that will really smoke. I have seen some of the other codes with a chip that are burnt hotter than mine, and don't smoke as much.

I don't purposely make the big clouds of smoke I used to, now it isn't so much fun, it almost makes me ill thinking of all that high priced fuel going down the pipe.

John DiMartino
11-06-2002, 09:57 AM
Brickman,fuel cost is not my concern as much as Soot levels in the oil,if you get your oil sampled after heavy footing it,your soot levels will be high,the oil can only hold so much soot,then-it starts to fall out of suspension and the resulting sludge coat your engine oil pan,and horizontal surfaces.I change mien at 2500 miles now,since im making 500hp,and i like to use it occasionally,i dont want to take any chances with an $$ engine. On the Cummins site,there are 2 small V8's they are working on for light truck,1/2 tons namely,and they used to have a comparison of power/weight of gas 5.9 Vs the new diesel 5.4 V8 they are working on,the diesel went neck and neck in accleration,but torque,and economy,and roll accleration werent even close the diesel ran away from the gasser from a roll.

Brickman
11-06-2002, 10:04 AM
John where do you get your oil tested? I am running Amsoil heavy duty marine and diesel oil. They recommend changing at 12,500 miles. I do mine at 10K for ease of remember when it needs done agian. I should get mine tested some time as heavy as I haul with mine, it is working hard almost all the time.
Kinda like this.

John DiMartino
11-06-2002, 10:23 AM
Brickman,thats a load,lots of pinweight for a single wheel truck,IMO.You wouldnt get one exit on 84 here with that truck the State policeour truck out of service in 10 minutes flat. I use blackstone labs, and Shaeffers sends me 3 free samples when i order 500 worth of product, heres the link, TDR members get a discount, http://www.blackstone-labs.com/body_index.html I bet your truck weight inthat pic is over 11000 lbs,have you ever blown a tire?

Brickman
11-06-2002, 10:36 AM
The first week in biz I blew a front tire with four cars on. Almost went in the ditch.

This load is probably 24K to 26K I am sure. Empty I am just under 15K.
Here the DOT takes the truck legal weight, 8800 lbs, and the trailer 21,000 lbs. Adds them together for 29,800 lbs max gross. I have been close to that a few times.
As soon as I can afford it I plan to get a semi truck to pull this. A very good used one can run $15K to $20K, much less than a pickup. Stability is a biggy, we go much wind here. With a bigger truck I would have the option of a bigger trailer if I ever got that much biz.

hoagie
11-06-2002, 05:00 PM
Brickman...

How's your tranny and fluid holding up w/ the heavy towing? I have a 450psd w/ 4.88 in the rear and I just hit 10k miles... I checked my tranny fluid the other day and it was pretty dark in color. Not like the nice pink color in my pickup. I tow every day but w/ only a 5-10k trailer and sometimes up to 10k in the dump.

I had to have an alignment, so I mentioned the dark fluid to the tech and of course he said it's normal... just to change it pretty soon. :mad:

Brickman
11-07-2002, 01:07 AM
It is my understanding that keeping the trans fluid cool and clean is important. Here is some thing that I do know, the same trans is used in my truck as the F 550 which would be rated to haul this weight. I have the 6 sd ZF trans. Seems to be working pretty good so far.

Swampbeast
11-07-2002, 11:40 PM
I am kinda excited about this new 6.0 PS, its supposed to be way more powerful, and at the same time cleaner and more fuel effecient. Thats cool! But I will definately wait a few years before buying one, let em work the kinks and gremlins out of it first.

Brickman, you are going to get a Semi truck? Woo eee! Thats gonna be just a bit more powerful than my F-350! Ya got me beat there. :D

:cool:

landscaper3
11-08-2002, 08:35 PM
In lasts month issue of Ground maintenance Magizine ( I think )
It stated the new 6.o was a option and Ford was still offering the 7.3 Powerstroke. Might want to do some looking into but according to Rowe Ford our local dealer they are offering BOTH motors?