PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer Question

bombard16
09-16-2011, 09:45 AM
I just purchased a used 7x16 enclosed trailer. I really wanted an enclosed trailer to secure my mower in during the day. I work a full time job then mow afterwards and have to tow the trailer to work a lot. I wanted the security of my equipment being locked in the trailer.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to refuel my mower at gas stations now. I'm used to having an open trailer that I just fuel the mower directly and then fill a spare gas can. I don't think I'm going to be able to fuel the mower in the trailer since the pump hose is too short. The options I see now are more gas cans, which I don't want to do, that just means moving the fuel around twice as much. Or taking the mower out of the trailer at the pump to fill it. What do you guys with enclosed trailers do?

R & R Yard Designs
09-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Take the mowers out
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
09-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Start mower, drive mower out trailer, fill mower with gas, drive mower back in trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bigkrank
09-16-2011, 01:50 PM
They make fuel doors. Most snowmobile trailers have them.

http://www.nhtrailers.com/images/full/options/FuelDoorFull.jpg

GreenI.A.
09-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Fuel doors are great. I put them on my enclosed to access my spray rig, onet o access the controls and another to pull the hose through

Maple Wood
09-16-2011, 09:11 PM
I have a 100 gallon transfer tank with a 12 volt pump in the bed of the lawn truck. We fill it once a week. We fill the truck from the tank as well as the mowers through the week.

GravelyGuy
09-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

cuttin-to-the-Max
09-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Just pull them out. i Gas up at like 7AM when everyone is headed to work and not at the gas station. At the moment we pull up and fill up all equipment and a 5 gallon gas can. We just ordered a trair mounted tank. With a 12v pump. Should be cool. after we figure out how to charge the battery off of the truck.

I park on the far side of the lot so that my truck/trailer length doesn't clog up all the fuel bays, then I unload my Zero turns and drive them to the diesel pump. Once full, just drive them back into the trailer.

Right! I actually park in the lot next to the gas station. Its Crazy when you come to the gas station at lunch time and see 7 companies all with trailers ranging from 4-24' long! Especially when there is a VACANT store parking lot right next door! You dont even have to drive on the grass! to cross over!

FoghornLeghorn
09-16-2011, 11:50 PM
I park on the far side of the lot so that my truck/trailer length doesn't clog up all the fuel bays, then I unload my Zero turns and drive them to the diesel pump. Once full, just drive them back into the trailer.

johnyredd99
09-17-2011, 03:28 AM
start pumping into truck, unload mower and pull around to nose of truck, fuel mower, continue pumping into truck, load mower, fill cans, finish pumping into truck.

lawnpropm
09-17-2011, 05:52 AM
Start mower, drive mower out trailer, fill mower with gas, drive mower back in trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Maple Wood
09-17-2011, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=cuttin-to-the-Max;4162226]Just pull them out. i Gas up at like 7AM when everyone is headed to work and not at the gas station. At the moment we pull up and fill up all equipment and a 5 gallon gas can. We just ordered a trair mounted tank. With a 12v pump. Should be cool. after we figure out how to charge the battery off of the truck.

1 of your trailer wires is a 12 volt costant wire. I rigged up a deep cycle battery and air compressor in my trailer and the pick up keeps it charged.

jrandallb
09-18-2011, 03:55 PM
I back the mower as close to the curb door as possible and I able to reach it from the pump

ecurbthims
09-18-2011, 07:59 PM
cuttin-to-the-max ,you can charge your trailers battery by running a lead from your marker lights,and driving with them on ,and it might be worth your time to install a solar panel on the roof so it can charge while just sitting there .

dutchacres
09-25-2011, 12:02 AM
I back my rider on so the fuel tank is next to the curb door then pull up and enough to open the door and fuel up. The walkbehind I just fill a 5 gal can and refuel it when I'm at the first property. Works excellent this way. It may be worth looking into bulk fuel also at your shop. Then you can just fuel up before loading or qt night when you get done. I'm thinking this is what I will do next year as I have a brand new plastic in ground tank and pump already.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landgreen
09-29-2011, 01:22 AM
I have a 100 gallon transfer tank with a 12 volt pump in the bed of the lawn truck. We fill it once a week. We fill the truck from the tank as well as the mowers through the week.

What brand? DOT approved gasoline transfer tanks are hard to find.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
09-29-2011, 02:06 AM
I have five 5G gas cans that I keep at my house just for refueling mowers at the end of the day. Once a week I fill up the two 5G cans in the trailer and the five other mower gas cans. My crew only uses about 5 gallons of mower and mix gas a day. I'd much rather go to the gas station once every week instead of every day.

Maple Wood
09-29-2011, 08:54 AM
What brand? DOT approved gasoline transfer tanks are hard to find.
Posted via Mobile Device

DOT Approved transfer tank.

http://www.transferflow.com/refueling_tanks.html

This is not the tank I have. Not sure of the brand, but I bought mine at Orshelins.

TLS
09-29-2011, 09:54 AM
You guys don't separate truck and mower gas? I deduct all state road tax from my mower gas. I'm a small operation and I get back several hundred at tax time!

Maybe other states don't do it that way?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landgreen
09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
DOT Approved transfer tank.

http://www.transferflow.com/refueling_tanks.html

This is not the tank I have. Not sure of the brand, but I bought mine at Orshelins.

Thanks! Some sticker shock there but probably worth it in the long run.