PDA

View Full Version : Production Rates

seabee24
09-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Has anyone ever had or seen a chart that might show average production rates for installing brick, block, drainage pipe? I was starting to create my own, including straight walls, vs curved walls....but i dont feel like re-inventing the wheel, if there is a good one out there

PatriotLandscape
09-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Vander kooi complete guide to hardscaping. Read it, learn it, love it, live it.

That book alone will open eyes to your business and show you where you need to improve.

I can't speak highly enough about it. It helped make my business what it is today.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
09-16-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm a vanderkooi fan too.

Although when I was younger I tracked every minute for each and every task we did.

Posted via Mobile Device

Hayes Outdoor
09-16-2011, 07:50 PM

That book alone will open eyes to your business and show you where you need to improve.

I can't speak highly enough about it. It helped make my business what it is today.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS where can I find that book, that sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thanks

MJK
09-16-2011, 09:58 PM
DVS where can I find that book, that sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thanks

I would like to know the same thing.

Hayes Outdoor
09-16-2011, 10:24 PM
I found the website to Vander Kooi but they do not offer the book that DVS mentioned above. They list a lot of business books, and one thats the complete guide to landscaping. I'd really like to know where I could find this book, but i did find the Hardscapes Magazine which is free. I subscribed to it so hopefully there will be helpful info in there

Lite4
09-16-2011, 10:24 PM
You can get it on the ICPI website I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

PatriotLandscape
09-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Dvs didn't mention a book.

At least the dvs guide isnt available yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hayes Outdoor
09-17-2011, 01:25 PM
The Complete Business Manual for Concrete Paver Contractors

Is this the book you are talking about?

I found it on the ICPI website

PatriotLandscape
09-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Yes
Posted via Mobile Device

seabee24
09-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

i read thought part of it... interesting i guess, but i think alot of that as business owners..if you didnt know arleady....you shouldnt be in business.

but that aside ...i didnt see where posted and published production rates are?

PatriotLandscape
09-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Depends on which book you bought.

So when you started your business you created your own multiple overhead recovery system?
Posted via Mobile Device

seabee24
09-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Depends on which book you bought.

So when you started your business you created your own multiple overhead recovery system?
Posted via Mobile Device

I purchase "the complete business manual". Is that not the correct book? Because I didn't see production rates

As for the multiple over head recovery system. It honestly makes little sence the way he explains it. Frankly it doesn't take a rock scientist to figure out that a job estimate at 1 month will have less over head than a job at 10 months, which is exactly why you can tie the overhead cost back to man/days of a project rather than a percentage. Further, you would be a fool to put all your eggs in one basket everytime you bid. He does explain that very well, but as a business person if you truly and Carefully plan things out, this should never be a proble

I think the bigger problem that he never address is the "low baller factor". It's great that he can round things up, and add the dingo dong factor. Right until you bid against someone that doesnt. Is factoring is great for large commercial work, union jobs.... Why, because it is the correct and true way ...other large companies know this and prepare bids in the same manor. Then the field is equal.

But be on the small res. Side of things.....When the guys you bid shaper own their trucks, factor them into overhead costs, or not at all so they can get the work
Posted via Mobile Device