PDA

View Full Version : Advertising late in the season

Don M.
09-16-2011, 04:03 PM
So I met today with a woman that does very nice newsletters (magazine quality) into affluent gated neighborhoods. Long story short she is wanting me to advertise with her. I like the newsletter. 50-60% is content, all written by homeowners in the neighborhood. Billy Bob has a retirement party, its in there, so forth an so on.

She told me a competitor plunked down $1,000 bucks for a 1/4 page ad on the back cover. And it hits home Nov. 15th. To me, thats late, way late. Is my gut telling me right.

I can get a 8.5x11 postcard designed, and mailed out via carrier route for .24 cents each. I can hit that neighborhood with that for less than $200. I could mail every week, late october to mid november for the cost of that one ad.

Thoughts about it being way late?

GreenI.A.
09-16-2011, 05:46 PM
I think people will be more likely to pay attention to the add in the neighborhood flyer more than your post card. The postcard will quickly go into the trash, while the flyer will probably end up being read over a couple times. Hopefully it ends up in the bathroom, I think I end up reading the same catalogs and magazines 15 times over if they are in the bathroom

HolleysLandscaping
09-17-2011, 02:00 AM
I do some advertising in a magazine and it has worked great for me for landscaping. Like he said it will end up on the coffee table or the bathroom. but the 15th seems a bit late for your only ad..maybe do one or two postcard distributions during october and early nov. and the magazine if your budget allows..

David Gretzmier
09-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Newsletter articles could be another bullet in your marketing gun arsenal. but on ads I'd have to think twice. 1000 bucks is a chunk for 1/4 page in a limited release newsletter. I am a postcard guy. I'd like to know the name of the company that mails 8.5 x 11 postcards for .24 each. that is a steal. I pay about 7 cents each on 6x11's for just printing and mailing to me, around 2-300 bucks for each design from my graphic arts company, and then I use saturation mail on walking routes on the postage. the post ofice tells me once you go over the 6x11 size, the rate on saturation mail goes up per piece. I believe the postage on saturation is around 20 cents each. there must be some bulk discount, however, as I have seen a 11x17 postcard ( not kidding) booth at the louisville-gie expo that gets printed and mailed for around 27 cents each. but I believe you have to do a crazy amount of postcards mailed, like 15000 or up.

jsslawncare
09-17-2011, 09:01 AM
They will always tell you what your competition is doing so you can out do them. Don't fall for it.

Don M.
09-17-2011, 10:47 AM
David, USPS has a program called Every Door Direct Mail. You can mail for .142 to carrier routes and the postcard from gotprint is 9-10 cents. No need for a bulk mail permit or anything like that. This program uses it's own permit that you have your designer include in the design. Plus no need to ink address each one. Just have local postal customer in the address block and that's it
Posted via Mobile Device

Don M.
09-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Btw, there is a min. of 200 a day and a max of 5000.
Posted via Mobile Device

CampCoLighting
09-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Hi Don. That program is pretty sweet offered by the postal service. i just signed up for the business account. do you use the retail or bmeu? also do you have any idea how long it takes to reach the house?

Don M.
09-19-2011, 01:16 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Don M.
09-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Retail and a couple of days
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

David Gretzmier
09-19-2011, 11:53 PM
I just took a look at it. according to the usps website it looks like yo do have to label your postcards with a city, state, address, and a code, and I was under the impression you have to fill out a form, get a permit, do the carrier route codes, etc. also, I am not sure about the size. it looks like you have to have a minimum size that is larger than the current cards I use. Have you used this before? I'd like more info. this sounds awesome.

Don M.
09-20-2011, 08:30 PM
I'll explain when I get home.
Posted via Mobile Device

CampCoLighting
09-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi. If you do the retail, you do not have to have a permit number. just a business account and CRID. There are minimum dimensions. It only has to meet ONE of the minimums. Either 6.125 inches tall, 11 and something inches wide or .25 inches thick. Ive spoken to 3 or 4 people at the post office and the number on the website, and to be honest, they dont have their crap together and on the same page. What I was told was you can take a standard 6x9 postcard and redesign it to make it 9 inches tall and 6 inches wide. that way you are meeting the minimum for heighth. You only have to meet one, not all. And you dont have to do the addresses. If you look at the oevrview, they have examples that are okay to print on your postcards.

Don M.
09-21-2011, 01:41 AM
http://www.uspseverydoor.com/

Click on the retail button. Hopefully that will clear some things up.

I will try to make a video tomorrow after work and show you mine. It really is super easy.

David Gretzmier
09-22-2011, 02:56 AM
I have looked it over and the main question I have is what do you put on printed materials in the address and stamp area. If I understand correctly, you must preprint "postal customer" or "resident" then city, state, zip, along with a permit or CRID number in the stamp area. I understand there is a form, carrier route code, and you bring the items to the post office, and I believe you bundle the printed items based on how many addresses each carrier route has.

I am getting ready to print a couple of 10000 runs of postcards, but they are going to 6 different zip codes and 4 cities. I have a CRID number, but I may have to pay someone for labels.

But I am excited about the idea of going with a larger postcard as a flat. since the postage is the same 14.2 cents per item, It would make a bigger impact to go big.

Tq23
09-22-2011, 08:43 AM
i was trying to find out if there was a free seminar in my area, but when i download the excel file, it locks up and does not respond. Anyone else having this issue with the file, or is it my lovely computer?

Also, i am confused on the size of the mailing. It seems like the mailing has to be longer than 11.5 and more than 6.125 high, but psprint does not have postcards that large. Am i wrong with how i am reading the size requirements? Who sells postcards that fit this requirement?

Thanks

Tom

Don M.
09-22-2011, 11:20 AM
I made a short video about eddm. Shows my postcard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0kdGRmgTS4
Posted via Mobile Device

TimNNJ
09-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks Don...that clarified a lot of questions..

TimNNJ
09-22-2011, 12:11 PM
also what lb stock did you use....and they are the flyers correct?

KrayzKajun
09-22-2011, 12:40 PM
I may have to look into this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don M.
09-22-2011, 12:43 PM
also what lb stock did you use....and they are the flyers correct?

No, postcards. 14pt.

TimNNJ
09-22-2011, 12:53 PM
I just got off the phone rep for the usps...very helpful...can't beat it!

David Gretzmier
09-22-2011, 11:35 PM
The video was helpful to me as well. I am very glad I do not have to preprint zip codes or city,state. was that other video with your flyer using the 100 pound cover or text? the 100 pound "cover" is a decent card stock for postcards. not as good as 14pt or 16pt, but almost. The 100 pound "text" is more like a thick paper.

also, do you have to count out the postcards and bundle them for each carrier route when you deliver to the post office? or just give them the total for all carrier routes you choose. The reason I ask is I have about 20 different carrier routes I want to saturate, and counting 400-700 cards for each is not gonna be fun. perhaps I will weigh 10 cards on a gram scale and then do the math.