PDA

View Full Version : Entering the Business ... Fertilization

SystemXpert
11-05-2002, 10:02 AM
Ok,

I admit it. I'm just a homeowner with a couple of toys but I enjoy working on my lawn. I went to a Lesco Commerical Center and got an account. I bought one of their professional grade spreaders and my lawn has never looked better. I have been reading lawnsite for a couple months now and applied some the knowledge to my lawn.

I admit I'm hooked on turf science. So now I'm asking myself should I start a small business. I have toyed with running a small business for years, but have never really gotten started.

My question: Could you make money just doing fertilizartion, weed control, and annual aeration / overseeding ? I don't want to go full-time yet, so offering mowing services is really not feasible. In my area many of the lawns are in need to of some turf management.

Is there a market for this ? or are customers only interested in total lawn services that include mowing?

just wondering

skrats
11-05-2002, 10:09 AM
well from their standpoint it would be nice to have one company that will take care of everything with their yard and have one bill.But if they already have someone doing everything but fertilization then well it looks like they could hire you! :)

ipm
11-05-2002, 10:19 AM
I always encourage anyone who is willing to start their own business. The answer to your ? is yes. If you research, what it is you want to do, you will find there is a huge market for that. Another word of advice is finding out what type of licensing, etc. you will need in S.C. Good luck!

Fvstringpicker
11-05-2002, 10:53 AM
You mentioned doing weed control. You need to check with your state to determine any special licenses you need for pesticide application. (weeds are considered pest) As far as I know, all states require some form of certification for pesticide application. In Georgia, you can fertilize but you can't legal put down "weed & feed" commerically without the certification.

Randy Scott
11-05-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by SystemXpert
Ok,

My question: Could you make money just doing fertilizartion, weed control, and annual aeration / overseeding ? I don't want to go full-time yet, so offering mowing services is really not feasible. In my area many of the lawns are in need to of some turf management.

Is there a market for this ? or are customers only interested in total lawn services that include mowing?

just wondering

Have you ever heard of Tru-Green Chemlawn?

PaulJ
11-05-2002, 11:23 AM
There are a couple companies around her that do just that. fert, sray, and arerate, and they do pretty well, although I think they use the Chem-lawn approach to applications. It would be noce to have a company who actualy cared about turf instead of volume. I think chem-lawn did just apps for a long time, but now some areas are getting into mowing also.

good luck