PDA

View Full Version : Running Wiring through Existing Water Distribution Pipes

anotherbrian
09-18-2011, 06:55 AM
When fiber optics was just coming in, I recall some of the oil transport companies used their existing infrastructure to run fiber from one geographic area to another. The fiber was run through their oil pipe distribution system. Apparently this practice is not used with irrigation systems.

In my case I would like to add a zone for a landscape plant area. My existing piping to a turf area is ideally located. By adding electric valves, one for the new landscape area and one for the turf area, there is very little new piping that needs to be added. If I were to run the wiring inside the existing water pipe, I would need to do almost no digging.

I am just curious why this is never done.

Kiril
09-18-2011, 09:43 AM
What is wrong with using a doubler?

1idejim
09-18-2011, 12:26 PM

hack :laugh::laugh::laugh:

anotherbrian
09-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Didn't know these existed and they look like an excellent application to add to existing installed electric valve.

In my case, I am chucking an indexing valve located near the controller. I want to use the existing pipe in the ground to control the existing sprays and to add a separate landscape plant area. So I want to install two co-located valves out in the yard using the existing pipe. I was looking for an easy way to run the 30 feet of wire - inside the existing pipe sounded easier than digging.

Wet_Boots
09-18-2011, 12:58 PM
What could be easier than digging in Florida sand? ;)

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-18-2011, 01:01 PM

Doublers are for hacks. Real pros use a Quick Link!

http://www.vrmanufacturing.com/PDF'S/CutSheetVR_QUICKLINK.pdf

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Oh... and to the OP... I guess there is nothing really wrong with running the wires through an abandoned lateral. It's really no different then running them through a sleeve under concrete.

1idejim
09-18-2011, 01:13 PM
When fiber optics was just coming in, I recall some of the oil transport companies used their existing infrastructure to run fiber from one geographic area to another. The fiber was run through their oil pipe distribution system. Apparently this practice is not used with irrigation systems.

In my case I would like to add a zone for a landscape plant area. My existing piping to a turf area is ideally located. By adding electric valves, one for the new landscape area and one for the turf area, there is very little new piping that needs to be added. If I were to run the wiring inside the existing water pipe, I would need to do almost no digging.

I am just curious why this is never done.

use the pipe, all of the expansion devices are last ditch saviours.

using pvc for LV conduit is better than using expanders, you may be long gone when someone has to work on the system, a pit on one end of the pipe will allow maintenance access.

Fireguy97
09-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Nowhere did I see that the existing pipe/zone was abandond. From the looks of it the OP is trying to use existing irrigation pipe that is being used for an existing usable zone.

For only thirty feet of turning a little turf and digging to depth, I would do it properly and dig.

Mick

Kiril
09-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Doublers are for hacks. Real pros use a Quick Link!

http://www.vrmanufacturing.com/PDF'S/CutSheetVR_QUICKLINK.pdf

Real pros don't use any type of "doubler" .... so I guess that makes you a hack.

The "doubler" reference was a generic reference for using 1 wire to control two valves, it was not a product reference or I would have said "the doubler" not "a doubler". Learn how to read Dan.

Kiril
09-18-2011, 10:44 PM
use the pipe, all of the expansion devices are last ditch saviours.

using pvc for LV conduit is better than using expanders, you may be long gone when someone has to work on the system, a pit on one end of the pipe will allow maintenance access.

I was under the impression from his first post he was talking about running wire inside a live/active pipe, not an abandon pipe. Just so everyone is clear, running wire in an active pipe is NOT a good idea.

ARGOS
09-18-2011, 10:53 PM
I was under the impression from his first post he was talking about running wire inside a live/active pipe, not an abandon pipe. Just so everyone is clear, running wire in an active pipe is NOT a good idea.

It sounded that way to me too. I was pondering how one could pull that one off.

I agree with Jim. Running in existing abandoned pipe beats a expander.

Labeling as much as possible is mission critical.

I am curious. I am pretty confident I live in the hardest to trench area around (actually 6" cobble is harder to trench which is what I hit up at Jim's). Why not trench? Running wire in water pipe is lame.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Oh.... Silly me! Disregard my comment and carry on with your foolishness :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
09-18-2011, 11:15 PM

As was I.

Agreed ... just make sure that next time someone is digging and finds that water pipe that seems to do nothing, you don't blow through it with a shovel or trencher.

1idejim
09-19-2011, 09:40 AM

I am curious. I am pretty confident I live in the hardest to trench area around (actually 6" cobble is harder to trench which is what I hit up at Jim's). Why not trench? Running wire in water pipe is lame.

let's not compete for hard trenching soils argos, life is tough enough as it is. :) i would dread trenching in a tough area.

kiril, i would like some advice from you concerning open ditch calcs. expect an email soon. :)

Kiril
09-19-2011, 11:17 AM
.......... Gotcha

Wet_Boots
09-19-2011, 11:52 AM
If you had to actually run a wire through a pressurized waterpipe, you might have success with the compression fittings made for plastic conduit, although I doubt they've ever tested them for pressure.

1idejim
09-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I am curious. I am pretty confident I live in the hardest to trench area around (actually 6" cobble is harder to trench which is what I hit up at Jim's). Why not trench?

7 weeks of digging and supporting, tomorrow i will start digging footings.

even though we have some large and rocky soil, argos is in the land of granite

Sprinkus
09-21-2011, 09:16 AM
At least you're only hitting small rocks that come out easily.
Nice boot.

1idejim
09-21-2011, 09:28 AM
At least you're only hitting small rocks that come out easily.
Nice boot.

i was born under a lucky star, what else can br said:laugh: