PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw won't cut no matter how much I sharpen the chain

2stroked
09-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I sharpened the chain correctly on my husqvarna chainsaw, but it still won't cut right? Does any one know what the problem would be?

THEGOLDPRO
09-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Do you know how to sharpen the chain? How old is the chain, how much use is on that chain? I would go buy a new one and see if it works better, your current chain might be past its prime and wore out.

punt66
09-18-2011, 05:13 PM
I sharpened the chain correctly on my husqvarna chainsaw, but it still won't cut right? Does any one know what the problem would be?

If you have sharpened many times and not ground down the rackers then it that is what seems to be happening.

THEGOLDPRO
09-18-2011, 05:26 PM
If you have sharpened many times and not ground down the rackers then it that is what seems to be happening.

Thats correct you need to make sure the rackers are lower then the actual blade part of the chain. if the rackers are higher then the blade it wont cut.
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=583&pictureid=5235

dutch1
09-18-2011, 05:45 PM
If you are using a machine to sharpen you chain, there is a square edged grinding wheel that can be used to grind the rakers/bumper uniformly. If you're doing this by hand, there is a gauge available that sits on the top of the teeth, allowing the raker to protrude through, which will indicate amount to be removed.

If it isn't evident why this must be done, look at the picture in the preceding post. You will note that the tooth slants downward away from the cutting edge and as you sharpen the tooth, its height is reduced as well. When it gets to the point that the raker is equal or greater than the tooth height, the tooth will not cut.

JDiepstra
09-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Chain on backwards? Bar lube?

4 seasons lawn&land
09-18-2011, 08:23 PM
you have bar oil in it? If yes, is it coming out?

2stroked
09-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Ok, here is the full story, It is a chain that has only been sharpened once before. I was cutting a log and dug down into the ground. I saw some sparks and immediately stopped. When I tried to cut another log all it did was cut in a inch the start to smoke. I've sharpened each cutter 20 times each because after repeatedly sharpening them 5 times each it was still dull.

I haven't thought about filing down the rakers because the chain is so new. I filed each chain and a 30 degree angle also. The chain has oil on it when I sharpen it, so I'm pretty sure it's getting oil. I'll file the rakers and see what happens from there.

JDiepstra
09-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Ok, here is the full story, It is a chain that has only been sharpened once before. I was cutting a log and dug down into the ground. I saw some sparks and immediately stopped. When I tried to cut another log all it did was cut in a inch the start to smoke. I've sharpened each cutter 20 times each because after repeatedly sharpening them 5 times each it was still dull.

I haven't thought about filing down the rakers because the chain is so new. I filed each chain and a 30 degree angle also. The chain has oil on it when I sharpen it, so I'm pretty sure it's getting oil. I'll file the rakers and see what happens from there.

Good grief man, put oil in it. I have to fill the oil every time i refuel. It makes a huge difference.

Patriot Services
09-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Just buy a new chain. Next time have a shop sharpen it for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

tigerfan88
09-18-2011, 09:09 PM
chain is on backwards probably!:laugh:

4 seasons lawn&land
09-18-2011, 09:10 PM
I suck at sharpening chains. Ive had it work great and basically not at all. I still dont know what Ive done wrong.

2stroked
09-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah, the chain is getting oil, I just fired it up and did the newspaper test. Rakers don't need to be filed either. I'm just going to buy a new chain. I know how to sharpen one, but I think this one is done

2stroked
09-18-2011, 09:14 PM
chain is on backwards probably!:laugh:

Impossible because it worked fine for a hour before hand :laugh:

punt66
09-18-2011, 09:43 PM
take a close up pic of the chain and show it to us. also the file you are using.

2stroked
09-18-2011, 09:58 PM
take a close up pic of the chain and show it to us. also the file you are using.

Will do that tomorrow when the light is better

jkilov
09-19-2011, 03:49 PM
To sharpen a chain correctly, you need to get the cutting angle, cross angle, chisel angle (or file depth) and raker depth just right.

If it's beyond your dedication, take it to a shop to get it sharpened, it's not expensive...

2stroked
09-19-2011, 04:59 PM
To sharpen a chain correctly, you need to get the cutting angle, cross angle, chisel angle (or file depth) and raker depth just right.

If it's beyond your dedication, take it to a shop to get it sharpened, it's not expensive...

Trust me, I have all of those tools and it still won't work

2stroked
09-19-2011, 05:18 PM
pics wouldn't upload

jkilov
09-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Emm. tools...:confused:. I'm talking about the proper technique.

BigFish
09-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Trust me, I have all of those tools and it still won't work

Then you flat out don't know what the fluck yer doin!!!!!

2stroked
09-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Then you flat out don't know what the fluck yer doin!!!!!

Dude, shut up. The chain hit some sort of rock, and basically dulled the living shi* out of it. It needs to be taken to a shop, but I need a spare chain, so why not just get 2 new ones? :hammerhead::hammerhead:

BigFish
09-19-2011, 09:11 PM

So, IF you sharpened the chain correctly,AND you know what the fluck your doin', then DUDE ( I just love that word, that and AWSOME ) why ain't it cuttin, and why ya gotta take it to a SHOP ??????

BE A MAN,, and when you buy the new chains, make sure to get the
NON ANTI-KICKBACK chain, and stay away from the girly, harry homeowner chain ya got now!

piston slapper
09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Good call Fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

Scooter1985
09-19-2011, 10:33 PM
This thread had to be started for pure humor.

Darryl G
09-19-2011, 10:53 PM
I use my chains until there's barely anything left to the teeth. I use a little Husky file guide (the kind with 2 rollers on it) and raker gauge when I sharpen...well the raker check is an occasional thing. They have one now that has both a file guide and raker gauge.

And to the OP, try not to run your chain into the ground, it dulls it :p

Floridalandcare
09-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Just put a new chain on it .........That easy

corey4671
09-19-2011, 11:50 PM
fluck it. go buy an axe.

chesterlawn
09-20-2011, 08:23 AM
I bought an electric chainsaw sharpener from harbor freight for $40, I know it's cheap but it really works good. It isn't the hand held kind, you have to take the chain off and put it on the sharpener. Just got it a week ago, sharpened 2 dull 18" chains in about 20 minutes and they cut like new. Well worth the $40

Darryl G
09-20-2011, 05:36 PM
I always hand sharpen my chains. I sent them out a couple of times and they came back with all the teeth "blued" from excessive heat. I change my files pretty often so it only takes a few strokes on each tooth.

Do the electric sharpeners all blue the teeth or is that just from someone getting too aggressive with it?

Patriot Services
09-20-2011, 06:00 PM
I always hand sharpen my chains. I sent them out a couple of times and they came back with all the teeth "blued" from excessive heat. I change my files pretty often so it only takes a few strokes on each tooth.

Do the electric sharpeners all blue the teeth or is that just from someone getting too aggressive with it?

I have one of the chicago sharpeners from Harbor Freight. It does a good job. It will blue the teeth if you put too much pressure on it. I also put a drop of bar oil on each tooth before sharpening.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
10-19-2011, 11:21 PM

So how did you make out with this? What was the problem?

Patriot Services
10-20-2011, 05:17 PM
He bought a new flucking chain.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
10-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Too long to read all the posts, but maybe he ought to put the chain on right.

piston slapper
10-20-2011, 10:33 PM
I have one of the chicago sharpeners from Harbor Freight. It does a good job. It will blue the teeth if you put too much pressure on it. I also put a drop of bar oil on each tooth before sharpening.
Posted via Mobile Device

Be careful with the Harbor Freight sharpeners....
They're made out of some pretty weak plastic and seem to flex when sharpening.
Dont sharpen a stack of chains at one time...You'll be taking it back for a warranty.

FoghornLeghorn
10-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Chain's on backwards?

Darryl G
10-20-2011, 11:09 PM
After reading this post I'm thinking maybe he did have the chain on backwards...he had his carburator fuel lines reversed ;) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=361926

I don't think he's gonna come back here and tell us though.

FoghornLeghorn
10-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Are you sure somebody didn't play a trick on you and swap it for a bicycle chain?

jvanvliet
10-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Chain's on backwards?

Only reason I know why a sharp chain won't cut. Hell a Home Depo Poullon will cut if you put the friggin chain on right. :dizzy:

ed2hess
10-21-2011, 10:50 PM
) and raker depth just right.

I don't want to get in the middle of this food fight but why not just cut that raker down to that scribe line right off? I know that if it is high that is bad.

2stroked
10-21-2011, 11:53 PM
After reading this post I'm thinking maybe he did have the chain on backwards...he had his carburator fuel lines reversed ;) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=361926

I don't think he's gonna come back here and tell us though.

I'm a bit a idiot sometimes lol:rolleyes:. Chain wasn't on backwards, turns out it was dull as sh*t! 20 times on each cutting tooth finally got it sharp, plus I wasn't clamping down in a vice. It's all good now:)

jvanvliet
10-22-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm a bit a idiot sometimes lol:rolleyes:. Chain wasn't on backwards, turns out it was dull as sh*t! 20 times on each cutting tooth finally got it sharp, plus I wasn't clamping down in a vice. It's all good now:)

Good for you! Now, think... how long did it take you to sharpen the chain, what's the cost of a new one & what's your time worth?

grincon
10-22-2011, 09:51 AM
So every time u hit a rock or dirt youre going to drive to the shop? or home to put it on your electric chain sharpener? lol
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
10-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Good for you! Now, think... how long did it take you to sharpen the chain, what's the cost of a new one & what's your time worth?

Only takes a couple minutes if maintained properly.

Darryl G
10-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Glad you got it cutting.

I hand sharpen my chains after 2 or 3 tanks of fuel, take the bar off and clean and flip it each time I do. One thing I do is save my stump cutting until the chain is already getting dull...there's always grit down low that dulls chains quickly.

punt66
10-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Glad you got it cutting.

I hand sharpen my chains after 2 or 3 tanks of fuel, take the bar off and clean and flip it each time I do. One thing I do is save my stump cutting until the chain is already getting dull...there's always grit down low that dulls chains quickly.

Yes. This is the correct way. By doing that you dont need an electric sharpener. Arborists do it this way. All they carry is a round file and a flat file. I get lazy with the flat file at times and use my dremel.

BPS##
10-22-2011, 11:49 AM
I take a grinder to the depth gauges. Much faster that way.
And when sharp my saw cuts like you wouldn't believe.

BPS##
10-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Any body ever use one of these from Oregon?

The PowerSharp. (http://www.powersharp.com/default_flash.asp)

Darryl G
10-22-2011, 12:36 PM
I take a grinder to the depth gauges. Much faster that way.
And when sharp my saw cuts like you wouldn't believe.

I'm not sure if you mean you grind them all the way down or just to their recommnded depth. Cutting with them taken down too far can be very dangerous....much more prone to kicking back when it's biting too aggressively.

BPS##
10-22-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure if you mean you grind them all the way down or just to their recommnded depth. Cutting with them taken down too far can be very dangerous....much more prone to kicking back when it's biting too aggressively.

I don't grind them off.

Just give the cutting teeth a good healthy bite.

I'm aware that its not the recommended way of operation.

jvanvliet
10-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Any body ever use one of these from Oregon?

The PowerSharp. (http://www.powersharp.com/default_flash.asp)

I like it, may get one.

I keep a file & plenty of fresh chains. I'm not as good as they guy that says he can do it in a few minutes.

Maybe he can sharpen my hedge trimmers in a few minutes too. unless a few minutes means 20-30.

93Chevy
10-22-2011, 04:30 PM
9 out of 10 people running a chainsaw shouldn't be running a chainsaw.

BPS##
10-22-2011, 04:39 PM
9 out of 10 people running a chainsaw shouldn't be running a chainsaw.

Similar to folks posting online, driving cars, breeding, running lawn equipment etc etc.

93Chevy
10-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Similar to folks posting online, driving cars, breeding, running lawn equipment etc etc.

Right, you assume certain risks by partaking in many daily activities, however the discussion at hand is chainsaws.

If the OP is driving the saw into the ground, possibly running it without oil, and posting on here how to properly sharpen a chain, he strikes me as somebody who possibly should give the chainsaw work to somebody else.

BPS##
10-22-2011, 04:56 PM
I wondered about some of that.

I'm pretty anal about my saw not getting stuck in the ground.
If nothing more its a completely unnecessary wearing out of the chain.
Not to mention that I hand sharpen my chains. Its a waste of time too.

punt66
10-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Right, you assume certain risks by partaking in many daily activities, however the discussion at hand is chainsaws.

If the OP is driving the saw into the ground, possibly running it without oil, and posting on here how to properly sharpen a chain, he strikes me as somebody who possibly should give the chainsaw work to somebody else.

Thats all very true, but people have to learn somehow right. :drinkup:

BPS##
10-22-2011, 06:46 PM

True, hopefully they don't have accidents on their way to becoming experienced.

My dad taught me a lot about saws when I was still a teen.
I was given an old POS craftsman that made enough to pay cash for my next much better husky.
I decided that I wanted another bigger one by the time I was 19.

Still got it.... its barely been used in all these years.
Probably will always have that one. No more use than I have for one.
The occasional tree trim or cut down.

punt66
10-22-2011, 07:10 PM
True, hopefully they don't have accidents on their way to becoming experienced.

My dad taught me a lot about saws when I was still a teen.
I was given an old POS craftsman that made enough to pay cash for my next much better husky.
I decided that I wanted another bigger one by the time I was 19.

Still got it.... its barely been used in all these years.
Probably will always have that one. No more use than I have for one.
The occasional tree trim or cut down.

still have all 7 saws that i ever owned. All run perfectly and have sharp chains.

93Chevy
10-22-2011, 07:21 PM

Right...but they should learn from somebody who knows what they're doing one-on-one.

But maybe I'm too old-fashioned and hard-headed to see it any differently.

Darryl G
10-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Even experienced cutters can get hurt. I got a good slap in the thigh yesterday by a branch under tension, and I looked things over pretty well before and while cutting. You should never ever be in a hurry with a chain saw and I guess I was rushing a bit because I was loosing daylight. For a lot of the stuff that was dropped in piles I used my pole pruner since it was impossible to see what was what. I'm still cutting up stuff dropped by Irene on my back acreage. All of my trails are open now but there's still a lot of stuff to break down.

jvanvliet
10-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Among the other four chainsaws, one is a Sthil ms190 we use for for irrigation operations & it will hit dirt often. Even though we clean out the hole as much as is possible, and clear dirt from the roots, the chain still hits dirt a lot when we cut out tree roots from broken pipe, etc. It's one of the reasons I don't sharpen by hand and keep at least one spare bar and 4 - 6 chains on board.

For occassional use, sure sharpen by hand... but for regular professional use, I want a factory sharp chain that hasn't been stretched out, overheated or has weakened links from overuse... specially when cutting hard woods.

But different strokes for different folks.

2stroked
10-23-2011, 02:00 PM

If the OP is driving the saw into the ground, possibly running it without oil, and posting on here how to properly sharpen a chain, he strikes me as somebody who possibly should give the chainsaw work to somebody else.\

I fill the oil up every time that I change the gas, and the reason the chain was so dull was because there was some piece of metal imbedded in the tree. I think that it was a old bit of barbed wire. That means that even someone who knows everything about chainsaws, like yourself, couldn't have seen it coming. It really screwed the chain up which is why it took so long to sharpen

punt66
10-23-2011, 04:52 PM
\

I fill the oil up every time that I change the gas, and the reason the chain was so dull was because there was some piece of metal imbedded in the tree. I think that it was a old bit of barbed wire. That means that even someone who knows everything about chainsaws, like yourself, couldn't have seen it coming. It really screwed the chain up which is why it took so long to sharpen

why do you change the gas? :laugh: sorry, i had to. Every time i fill the tank i fill the bar oil and adjust the chain. Every other tank of gas i fill the oil, adjust the chain and file the chain. When you do it that way it is never a big chore and your always sharp. I carry 1 new chain per saw i own. I will only change the chain if i hit metal as you said. If i mistakenly touch the ground i immedietly file the chain. One thing many pros do is use a skip tooth chain. A skip tooth has half the amount of filing and is easier and quicker to maintain.

Darryl G
10-23-2011, 07:16 PM
One thing I do is always fill the oil first so I don't forget. I was just out cutting and went through 3 tanks of gas and still not nearly done cutting up stuff. I'm just trying to drop the dangerous stuff at this point and get it all on the ground. Maybe I'll grab my camera some time so I can show you guys what a mess Irene made of my woods.