PDA

View Full Version : Winters coming

Florida Gardener
09-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Did 2 Bahia yards today and the growth was half of last weeks and almost no seed heads...it's coming boys!
Posted via Mobile Device

just cuts lawn care
09-19-2011, 01:12 PM
I agree diamond a lot of mine are getting to be the same plus the nice cooler weather in mornings is enjoyable

williams lcm
09-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Yes even some shrubs have started to slow. The St.Aug is not has thick in my area. We havent had those afternoon storms witch has slowed it down a little. October should be good.:)

jvanvliet
09-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Rain yesterday afternoon, early this morning. Temps high 80's low 90's. Grass still growing. EOW still a ways off for me.

Dry season means more irrigation problems to $olve

billslawn89
09-19-2011, 08:32 PM
i was out today and some of my bahia yards were dry and not that tall. no rain here in over a week with temps in the low 90's, but now i am getting slammed with rain.

Keith
09-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Summer ain't ready to give up yet. Been hot and humid for the last few. Dew point was near 75F all morning and afternoon. Heat index was actually back over 100 today for a couple of hours, and it poured here this evening. Looks like temps will be running above average for the next week at least.

zturncutter
09-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Bahia starting to slow nicely, but we will see, temps. have been creeping back up and it has been raining hard here the last 3 hours.

billslawn89
09-19-2011, 10:53 PM
ya, with this rain tonight, the grass will pop back to normal, at least for another week.

Florida Gardener
09-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Rain yesterday afternoon, early this morning. Temps high 80's low 90's. Grass still growing. EOW still a ways off for me.

Dry season means more irrigation problems to $olve

True, but the next 6 weeks will be slower growth than June, July, august. Shorter days mean less growth. Bahia will def be EOW first week of October.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
09-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Lucky. Summer started late here. I am hoping it ends early as well. 80 and 80 in the morning.

jvanvliet
09-20-2011, 06:49 AM
True, but the next 6 weeks will be slower growth than June, July, august. Shorter days mean less growth. Bahia will def be EOW first week of October.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hopes you be right... I don't cut any Bahia (yet).

jvanvliet
09-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Good grief Diamond, you got 2,250 posts? You need to get a hobby, like a woman with a morally casual attitude :laugh:

Florida Gardener
09-20-2011, 07:11 AM
Good grief Diamond, you got 2,250 posts? You need to get a hobby, like a woman with a morally casual attitude :laugh:

Only hobby I have is church, and serving through church. Trust me, a woman is at the top of my list. I do need to find some sort of hobby as well....
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
09-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Winter coming my azz. Two shirt and two hat day today, both saturated in sweat like a went swimming in my clothes. The summer has been brutal!
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
09-20-2011, 04:07 PM
I hopes you be right... I don't cut any Bahia (yet).

Luck you. Bahia is crap grass that defies cutting and never looks good. The poor mans turf. I refuse to install it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
09-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Only hobby I have is church, and serving through church. Trust me, a woman is at the top of my list. I do need to find some sort of hobby as well....
Posted via Mobile Device

Bonsai?
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
09-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Winter coming my azz. Two shirt and two hat day today, both saturated in sweat like a went swimming in my clothes. The summer has been brutal!
Posted via Mobile Device

after the rains last night, i felt the humidity when i left at 6:30am, and ya, shirt was soaked the first hour. pretty soon, i guess..

zturncutter
09-20-2011, 05:42 PM
after the rains last night, i felt the humidity when i left at 6:30am, and ya, shirt was soaked the first hour. pretty soon, i guess..

No chit, where dat FALL weather go :cry:

fl-landscapes
09-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Thank god it's right around the corner, I'm getting burned out.......literally
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
09-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Church is an excellent hobby. Interested in some urban mission work in the States maximum security prisons?

jvanvliet
09-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Rain this morning, high humingditty & temps. Busted a sweat just getting out of the truck.

jvanvliet
09-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Luck you. Bahia is crap grass that defies cutting and never looks good. The poor mans turf. I refuse to install it.
Posted via Mobile Device

You got that right, can't get your blades sharp enough to not leave stragglers. I've had a little experience with it, glad I don't have to cut it anymore. I would charge a premium to cut it again.

Landscape Poet
09-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL - I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Today was a little better but still warm as hell. The few lawns I have that are Bahia did slow down for the most part. I have one that apparently gets lots of fert and irrigation....it has been a nightmare all year..kind of like mowing a hay field once a week. I was always looking behind me for the bailer but it was never there.

Florida Gardener
09-20-2011, 08:56 PM
LOL - I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Today was a little better but still warm as hell. The few lawns I have that are Bahia did slow down for the most part. I have one that apparently gets lots of fert and irrigation....it has been a nightmare all year..kind of like mowing a hay field once a week. I was always looking behind me for the bailer but it was never there.

I dint get the people that get Bahia and fert/irrigate it....
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
09-20-2011, 09:01 PM
I dint get the people that get Bahia and fert/irrigate it....
Posted via Mobile Device

I think they enjoy seeing the lawn guy suffer !

Landscape Poet
09-20-2011, 09:52 PM
I think they enjoy seeing the lawn guy suffer !

Me too - kills me. :cry: Although I will not say Bahia is a attractive turf grass yet...I will say this lawn at least makes me see that it does have some potential and does not have to look like a roadside.

Florida Gardener
09-20-2011, 10:04 PM
The last 2 days were tough. Not as bad as the hell months, but still hot. I was dripping all day today.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
09-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Bonsai?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thought miyagi had that on lock
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
09-21-2011, 06:25 PM
3 shirts in the field & one for the way home. Hot, humid but no rain. Have to make the rounds this PM and start up all my irrigation.

Landscape Poet
09-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Rain missed me today too.....good stuff.....warm as heck out there for sure....it is not July or August hot but still warm enough. Our current conditions are what the guys up north would call HOT...LOL

Landscape Poet
09-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Got wet as heck here towards the end of the day. Kick in our warmer weather and the grass will be strong next week.

Florida Gardener
09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm hoping that October has high temps that are 5 degrees less than what we are getting now.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
09-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Feels like 101 today. 3 more shirts, good thing my wife loves doing laundry.

Turned on all the irrigation yesterday afternoon. Rained all night & getting ready to rain again now, can't seem to win for loosing.

Hope the humidity drops soon, I can take the heat, but the humidity is a killer.

zturncutter
09-22-2011, 09:33 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:34265.1.99999

I just love the Florida fall weather, heat index of only 99 tomorrow, brrrrrr :laugh:

Landscape Poet
09-22-2011, 11:04 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:34265.1.99999

I just love the Florida fall weather, heat index of only 99 tomorrow, brrrrrr :laugh:

That's it....I am breaking out the gloves and skull cap.:rolleyes:

Keith
09-23-2011, 01:18 AM
This week has been pretty darn miserable. After coming off of a couple weeks of dry air, this sucks.

jvanvliet
09-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Pulling out the Gore-Tex goose down parkas... more rain today. Weatherman promises cooler weather in two weeks; I'll believe it when I see it.

Putting four shirts, two towels and 10 gallons of iced tea with lemon on my truck :clapping:

EOW, ETA October 31st.

Keith
09-23-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm a big fan of cotton shirts, and never much cared for the way synthetic materials feel. But the Coolmax shirts are fairly thin and air dry in nothing flat, and don't smell like a wet rag after they do. I won't say they are way cooler and that they make hot, humid day comfortable, but they do allow some air flow.

Florida Gardener
09-23-2011, 07:39 PM
today during the afternoon was a hot one....man, cmon winter!!!

Landscape Poet
09-23-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm a big fan of cotton shirts, and never much cared for the way synthetic materials feel. But the Coolmax shirts are fairly thin and air dry in nothing flat, and don't smell like a wet rag after they do. I won't say they are way cooler and that they make hot, humid day comfortable, but they do allow some air flow.

I use UA....again not going to say they are the best in the world of make that big of a difference but they are more comfortable and wick the moisture away. I think the UA underwear has been one of my best clothing purchases since opening up down here only proceeded by my red wings.

jvanvliet
09-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Cheap, $2.00 100% cotton T's @ Walgreens, + $1.10 for silk screen. Good for one summer season then everybody gets new until end of next summer season. These were tennis ball yellow, next is orange.

Little cooler today in Boca, light rain. Still sweat like a hog though.

zturncutter
09-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Damn this weather, enough already !!!

Florida Gardener
09-25-2011, 05:28 PM

I hear you. Did some work in the AM at the house and it was hot as hell
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
09-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Not to mention the mosquito's around the retention areas on my commercials, I was able to mow all but one last week, now they all have water laying in them again.

Ric
09-25-2011, 07:36 PM

Allen

The heck of it is, in few weeks we will crying for the rain. Traditionally our Rainy Season is over by the 3rd week of Sept. But this year has been anything but traditional. I actually had a fairly productive Sunday between rain drops. But it was only house & yard work at my own house.

Keith
09-26-2011, 05:34 PM
True, but the next 6 weeks will be slower growth than June, July, august. Shorter days mean less growth.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just got done cutting four, side by side that had as much growth as I have seen all year! I've never seen anything like it. You would swear it had been two weeks or more since they were cut, but all were cut last Monday. I hold you personally responsible for this :laugh:

I also blame the usual suspects for dropping nitrogen bombs on them in the last 10-14 days.

zturncutter
09-26-2011, 07:20 PM
I just got done cutting four, side by side that had as much growth as I have seen all year! I've never seen anything like it. You would swear it had been two weeks or more since they were cut, but all were cut last Monday. I hold you personally responsible for this :laugh:

I also blame the usual suspects for dropping nitrogen bombs on them in the last 10-14 days.

Same here, unreal.

jvanvliet
09-27-2011, 06:53 AM
GAAAAHHH! More rain; lawns are going viral :dizzy:

Lawn crews are reporting a high incidence of dollar spots.

HELP! There is fungus amungus.

zturncutter
09-27-2011, 08:49 AM
The weather Guru's are forecasting a high of 81 with a low of 64 for Sunday:clapping::clapping:, I hope they are not teasing or I am gonna, gonna -------- sweat some more.

fl-landscapes
09-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks z I did not see that forecast. Hope it is accurate!
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
09-27-2011, 08:42 PM
The weather Guru's are forecasting a high of 81 with a low of 64 for Sunday:clapping::clapping:, I hope they are not teasing or I am gonna, gonna -------- sweat some more.

Yep - heard that on the radio today and was so happy. It was warm to say the least here today and tomorrow is suppose to be warmer......come on Sunday.

billslawn89
10-01-2011, 10:17 AM
its here! i got my windows open already! haha..high 50's tonight for my area, but i think this is only a tease. going back up to mid to upper 80's by next week end.

zturncutter
10-01-2011, 10:34 AM
its here! i got my windows open already! haha..high 50's tonight for my area, but i think this is only a tease. going back up to mid to upper 80's by next week end.

Same here :waving: at this point i am grateful for the tease, the never ending summer.

Florida Gardener
10-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Very brisk this AM. All I know is the bad days are behind us. It's only getting better here on out
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
10-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Today was outstanding...damn near perfect...not hot...not cold. Good stuff.

Florida Gardener
10-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Today was outstanding...damn near perfect...not hot...not cold. Good stuff.

Heck yea! Great day down here. Summer is officially over!
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
10-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Agreed , actually feel like working again :cool2:

Keith
10-04-2011, 01:56 AM
I hardly even stunk up a shirt today.

zturncutter
10-12-2011, 08:06 AM
One of the wettest and warmest Octobers I can remember with more warm and wet forecast, I could use another tease. :confused:

Florida Gardener
10-12-2011, 08:12 AM
One of the wettest and warmest Octobers I can remember with more warm and wet forecast, I could use another tease. :confused:

It's getting old. Humid yest and today with 90 temps. Come on cold!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
10-12-2011, 01:24 PM
I know that I have some small landscaping and mulch jobs and a few other things that need to get done, but I have had to push them back because the grass just isn't slowing up. Things that just need to be done in one day, but I can't seem to get a free day. Last weekends rain threw me off that much more. Not that we didn't need the rain.

Landscape Poet
10-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Not that we didn't need the rain.

May have needed it....just would of been nice if it was spread out over the month instead of three days.

stickleylawncare
10-12-2011, 07:09 PM
It's getting old. Humid yest and today with 90 temps. Come on cold!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

No kidding, this last week has really gotten hot and humid again.Feels like we've gotten more rain in the last few weeks than the entire season together.

zturncutter
10-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Finally a little more than a tease !!! :cool2:

Landscape Poet
10-19-2011, 09:56 PM
All I can say is that I am pissed at the local weather guys....all day Monday all I heard was button down.....Tuesday 100% chance of heavy rains. So I call off even attempt to go out Tuesday...figure why pay the payroll to have someone sit in the truck with me and watch wiper blades. By Monday night it was a 90% chance of rain...different...but not enough to warrant a changing my previous choice....by midnight it was 80%.....Tuesday morning...same thing 80%....so I sat at home, waiting and bracing for this HUGE rain......about 8:30 last night I got a light sprinkle.
I hope they have the low of the lower 50's right later this week....that means lower soil temps which means live gets real good.

Keith
10-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah, no kidding. I got a lot of my Tuesday stuff done on Monday thinking it was going to be a wash. I was surprised that it still was not raining at sunset. I woke up yesterday looking at the radar, thinking, "I believe these people have lost their minds." There was no way it was going to rain before noon. I went out and mowed three more before taking the mower into the shop for some warranty work. Figured the rain must get here sooner or later. I looked at the radar again and went back out and trimmed hedges.

There was going to be 2-3 inches of rain, thunderstorm and wind. We might have had 2/100th inch of rain, no thunder, and no wind until the front started pushing through.

Florida Gardener
10-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Basically what happened to you Orlando guys is the opposite of a few weeks ago when you had 3 days of rain or whatever and we were supposed to get tons as well. "80% chance." We got zilch. Well, it rained Monday afternoon here, all day yesterday, and a few hours this AM. Didn't get as many inches as you guys, but the opposite of a few weeks ago.

Ric
10-20-2011, 07:58 AM

IMHO this has been one of the Hottest & Humid summer also. Add in the fact we have had 3 winters in a Row with Freezes and our weather pattern sure is changing.