PDA

View Full Version : Fall clean ups

H & M Yard Improvements
09-18-2011, 06:50 PM
This is our first year in the biz. We have 13 residential accounts. We are in North NJ. I have 2 questions: 1. How often do you normally go to a clients location to clean the property? My partener want to do it every 2 weeks, I want to do it every 7 to 10 days. Im wondering who is more accurate in their preference. My second question is when would you typically do a final cut for the season? Again my partener wants to stop around Halloween and i want to go into mid to late november. Any suggestions? Thanks!

flyingdutch16
09-18-2011, 07:22 PM
only thing iknow is that you stop around mid november, wanna keep cutting as long as you can. Wanna keep that cash flow ;) For fall clean ups i'd say 7-10 days, leaves fall quickly and its easier to do it every 7 days that way there arent as many leaves to clean up as supposed to 2 weeks thats when the piles get really big. I could be wrong tho. but thats how ive always done it.

thelawnman
09-18-2011, 08:54 PM
I just cut the house every week hahahahaha

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
09-18-2011, 09:29 PM
We are on cape cod. Mow till last week october first week november. Wait for all leaves to fall and theen start clean ups.
Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

H & M Yard Improvements
09-20-2011, 06:02 PM
thats what i was thinking too Flyingdutch16.

blk90s13
09-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Its my first year on my own as well and I plan on cutting till end of October then let the cleanups begin.

Darryl G
09-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Generally for me it's weekly mowing until October 15 and then biweekly mowing/cleanups thereafter until Thanksgiving or so. I don't get picky until the final cleanup. Thanksgiving is always my goal to have my regulars done by, but I'm often still working until the week before Christmas doing one timers and touch-ups, weather permitting.

blk90s13
09-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Generally for me it's weekly mowing until October 15 and then biweekly mowing/cleanups thereafter until Thanksgiving or so. I don't get picky until the final cleanup. Thanksgiving is always my goal to have my regulars done by, but I'm often still working until the week before Christmas doing one timers and touch-ups, weather permitting.

How are you doing your cleanups with out an Exmark ? :laugh:

The company I worked for past 3 years did the same exact thing mid October all go to biweekly to make place for one time cleanups and it went on till Christmas day

Darryl G
09-21-2011, 08:53 AM
I have my Exmark, it's just not as shiny and new as yours, LOL. I actually take it out in my dump trailer for the parts of my route where I need to haul the leaves off. On at least half of my accounts I can dispose of the leaves on the property...2 plus acre lots surrounded by woods.

hackitdown
09-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Keep going weekly if the customer will tolerate it (pay for it). The visits will take longer when there are leaves, so charge accordingly!

Adam12
09-21-2011, 05:22 PM
when i worked for a company we could cut every week and blow, the final clean up would be around start of nov. and would be all the flower beds blown out and cleaned andgutters also cleaned.

STIHL GUY
09-21-2011, 08:08 PM
i mow untill the grass stops growing then wait for the leaves to fall. most lawns i do 2 cleanups. one when a majority of the leaves have fallen and the second when everything has fallen and the second one i go over the lawn for the last time before winter too. there are others where i just do one big cleanup at the end of the year

BobbieB
10-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I like how you came over and bashed my thread that is asking a similar question. You claim this is your first year in the biz. But on my thread you act like your a million dollar account business, posting roflmao!!!, and childish comments. Just thought I'd point that out to you..

But on the flip side the first week of October is when most people around me stop having their lawns cut. Depends on your rainfall as well. Michigan had alot of rain this year, but growth stopped early I guess.

Darryl G
10-31-2011, 01:11 AM
Bobbie - I think you misunderstood his initial post on your thread. He was trying to help and actually offered you good advice. I just read it again and don't see where he was bashing you...lighten up and stop getting so defensive dude! If you wanna pick fights there are other forums, we try to keep things civil and respectful here...did you read the terms of use by any chance?

H & M Yard Improvements
11-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah I was offering advise but...... You know.....
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Your last cut of the season should be right near when the grass has started going winter dormant and growth is all but ceased or is very slow. Here that is Halloween-ish. I try to do bagging the last cut of the season, and leaf fall after that and it is the customer's choice to call me to clean up any more leaves. I am completely done by mid Nov and by then, its starting to get mighty cold.

Darryl G
11-03-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm treating the cuts I'm doing now as if they'll be the final cut. It's already getting tricky to run my mowers with temps going down to freezing nightly...gotta kinda tip-toe with the mowers to avoid ripping things up and we've already had our first snow. I try not to give my customers choices, I just show up and do what I think is right and bill them for it.

ralph02813
11-04-2011, 07:27 AM
@darryl, I think we operate the same only I tend to fold most of my clean up into a regular cut - Irene helped doiing that this year!.

Darryl G
11-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Actually Ralph I do the same. I'm on my "blow to woods" accounts now and it's taking me about an hour to pre-blow the lawns of the bulk of their leaves and then another hour to mow/trim/final blow them on the bigger ones....2 acre lots in the woods, not that the lawns are 2 acres. I'm on about a 16 day rotation right now with my lawn visits.

ralph02813
11-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Darryl, I have customers in 3 different geographic areas I divided them up some I will do next week which haven't been done in 2 the rest are about the same as you. Well off to wooded edge. Almost time to start working on winter yard expansion projects for a couple of my bigger customers.

Darryl G
11-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Wow, I have 3 different legs to my route too...there's the north woods, the beach area and the in-town ones. I use 3 different set-ups for the 3 areas. I use the landscape trailer and both mowers plus the wheel blower for the north woods, the same minus the wheel blower plus green barrels and bags for the beach accounts (not a real lot of material bulk hauled off) and the dump trailer with just the Z rider and wheel blower for the in-town accounts...approx 1/2 acre lots with mature trees that can require a fair amount of hauling/disposal.

ralph02813
11-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Hey Darryl, that's funny my western route is westerly and Pawcatuck area, that is generally my Tuesday run. After spring the barrels and the catcher stay home on everyone, but everything else is jammed in the truck. I have kind of had it with packing and unpacking stuff, so I am pretty sure that I am getting a enclosed 6 x 12 or next year - thoughts on trailers???

lawnpro724
11-04-2011, 09:00 PM
A good rule to follow is to wait to do your final cut one week after your first hard freeze below 30 degrees.

Darryl G
11-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Hey Darryl, that's funny my western route is westerly and Pawcatuck area, that is generally my Tuesday run. After spring the barrels and the catcher stay home on everyone, but everything else is jammed in the truck. I have kind of had it with packing and unpacking stuff, so I am pretty sure that I am getting a enclosed 6 x 12 or next year - thoughts on trailers???

6 x 12 enclosed doesn't have much room...there's about half as much room on an enclosed trailer as an open trailer of the same size, lol.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-05-2011, 10:27 AM
6 x 12 enclosed doesn't have much room...there's about half as much room on an enclosed trailer as an open trailer of the same size, lol.

As silly as that sounds there is a lot of truth to that we have 3 open trailers a 12 footer a 16 and 20 widths vary from 6 feet to 6 feet 10 inches.

Now the 12 footer we used for years and put a 36tthp in the very front of it side ways the remaining 9 feet went to a lazer 52 with a trac vac system we have about 1 inch to spare. Now this is no way at all that would fit in a 12 foot enclosed you couldn't back the walk-behind into place as the wall would be in your way and crush you. Also you'd have to forget about starting that mower if you manged that feat the pull cord faces the front of the trailer when sideways.

ralph02813
11-05-2011, 02:10 PM
@darryl and Kelly - thanks for the feed back I understand what you are saying about the space - I guess above the rail on the open trailer is unlimited space to move yourself right! I was thinking that I wanted to put by Ferris 36 and 21 in the trailer, hang weed whackers and hedge trimmers from the left hand wall blowers on the right and up front on shelves oil and grease and stuff along with green barrels in the front and I was thinking of keeping hand tools on the truck - remember I run solo does it still sound weird?

Kelly's Landscaping
11-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Doesn't sound that weird to me a 21 inch mower is significantly smaller then ztr with a vac system that is close to 9 feet long and 6 feet wide with the hose.

So if space isn't going to be an issue the enclosed starts to looks better also the enclose can act as a shed where the open can not. Just make sure you have side doors built in for fueling or your gona be cursing the day you bought it later when you own larger mowers and have to unload at the gas station to fuel them up cause the wall is in your way.

MarkintheGarden
11-05-2011, 05:06 PM
A good rule to follow is to wait to do your final cut one week after your first hard freeze below 30 degrees.

That is the right answer, the cool weather grasses will stop growing after the first good freeze. For my area that often occurs mid to late Oct. but this year it has not happened yet.

When it comes to when to clean up the leaves, I have yet to decide if it is best to wait for them all to come down or do several visits and clean them up as they fall.

Darryl G
11-05-2011, 05:47 PM
@darryl and Kelly - thanks for the feed back I understand what you are saying about the space - I guess above the rail on the open trailer is unlimited space to move yourself right! I was thinking that I wanted to put by Ferris 36 and 21 in the trailer, hang weed whackers and hedge trimmers from the left hand wall blowers on the right and up front on shelves oil and grease and stuff along with green barrels in the front and I was thinking of keeping hand tools on the truck - remember I run solo does it still sound weird?

If that's all you plan to haul then I think you should be fine. The thing is as Kelly described, you just don't have that room outside the trailer to move around/maneuver in and you don't want to have to be climbing over stuff all the time either. If they have the extra height option you'll probably be glad you got it. Be sure to account for any wheelwell intrusion on the inside too.

ralph02813
11-06-2011, 04:17 AM
@kelly and darryl - thanks' guys very helpful comments, it will have the side door.