PDA

View Full Version : need ideas for adopt a spot location

JML
11-05-2002, 12:57 PM
We have a few areas throughout our town that we live in, where we pick up litter, clean up, etc. We wanted to do some planting there as well. We were doing a lot of annuals, but the watering became troublesome on keeping on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we could do, that wouldn't require much water, only a few times a week, but with a rather low budget. Thanks

KenH
11-05-2002, 02:48 PM
How about perennials??? If you plant it correctly, you can have season long color. Once most are established, maintenance is minimal.

(Just be sure to clean out the bed every winter)

Evan528
11-05-2002, 05:56 PM
There are Many nice assortments of ornamental grass's....... they also require very little water and provide year long interest.

mdb landscaping
11-05-2002, 09:24 PM
i agree with evan. ornamental grasses are catching on. maybe some chinese silvergrass? they look really nice during the summer, and all you have to do is cut them down in the fall. as far as some color goes, maybe some erica spicacea or iberis sempervirens?

Evan528
11-05-2002, 10:08 PM
I actually dont cut down ornamental grasses intill early spring! The dried tan color they provide in the winter is actually pretty interesting looking...especially against snow! (if you happen to get any)

mdb landscaping
11-06-2002, 07:27 AM
thats true. i just do it as a preference so leaves and such dont get caught up by them, but a lot of people will leave them up for the aesthetic look.

GarPA
11-06-2002, 07:41 AM
for what its worth I have many many ornamental grasses on my property...lived here 10 years....the first few I cut them down in November because they do make a mess in mine and the neighbors yards come Dec -Feb...then one year I left most of them stand....maybe its my imgination but it seems they are fuller and healthier now when I dont cut them until early spring...as said above they are one of the best plants ever developed...the small dwarf grasses are good in smaller areas and many have colored foilage...plant them and you can walk away...no exaggeration

Lanelle
11-06-2002, 10:24 AM
I notice that you are on the Jersey Shore. Possibly you can follow the lead of the municipalities there. Look at the medians and pocket parks that they have planted to see if there is a theme or type of plant that shows up repeatedly at various sites. I am thinking that Rugosa roses, Buddleia or Spirea might be workable since they are easy care shrubs. Unobstructed traffic visibility may be another element that would be considered. You shouldn't be creating blind spots.