PDA

View Full Version : Handling the Summer to Fall Rush?

coreyod21
09-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi I have been in the landscaping biz for some time now but its my first full time year. I learned not to grow to fast and fall under my own weight.I'm only 20 so I figured I have plenty of time to grow. I still grew alot and now have around 30 or so accounts ( most residential and some commercial.) The problem I need advice on before it becomes a problem for my cuts is that since I'm a one man crew how do you guys recommend working in clean ups and core-aeration visits. Should I start bagging all my cuts until they call for a clean up of the beds etc, or do I want to mulch then set a date after I to do the clean ups? I also get alot of non-weekly customers in the fall for clean ups. As of now I basicly get all my cuts done in 2 long days. Im going to hire help for leaf clean ups tho. What method do you guys use and/ or think would fit my situation the best? Also when would you guys says a good time to stop mowing. I'm located in Ohio. The leaves are falling so I'm feeling the pressure.:weightlifter: Thanks in advance for the advice.

coreyod21
09-19-2011, 03:00 PM
anyone have any advice for how you guys manage to handle the transition to fall while still mowing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

newtostone
09-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Mow like normal till end of oct. Nov-first snow work the cleanups.

coreyod21
09-19-2011, 06:22 PM
thanks but do you bag when u mow and shedule clean ups on a set date? Do you just mow untill they ask for a clean up? What works best for you?
Posted via Mobile Device

pjnlandscape
09-20-2011, 10:48 PM
I mow regularly until October 31st or the end of that week if it falls early in the week (Monday-Wednesday) to fit the whole weeks schedule in. I mow just like the whole summer through then, side discharge no bagging up early leaves that drop. If a customer asks I tell them that a cleanup charge will have to be added for the bagging of the leaves. I am not going to cut into my own potential profit by having the place looking pretty clean by the time real cleanup season comes. That's called self preservation my friend, don't do any favors for customers. They are your source of income not your friends, do the best job you can for the best price but time is money.

coreyod21
09-20-2011, 10:56 PM
thanks. I like the point you made. I like that system. I just couldnt see myself fitting all the clean ups in on days i cut. so do you wait til they call then put them into a clean up route or do you set a date then notify them for you
Posted via Mobile Device

ny scaper
09-21-2011, 08:44 AM
I would speak to them beforehand...like now - and see if they would like a fall cleanup when the time comes. Tell them what it entails, etc...It helps because you know ahead of time as to how many cleanups you will have and how you need to schedule the cleanup work down the road.